Clan Letters inbound...

By Shiba Gunichi, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

Starting with the Phoenix.

Interesting to note that what a lot of us regarded as long-standing friction (because we got literally nothing to show it being any other way) is being sanded down into a "strained friendship" with the Unicorn.

Edited by Shiba Gunichi

Ah, so Tsuki was the Imperial Ambassador for the Phoenix, but she's just been reassigned. It's always interesting to see new named characters getting involved in the story.

I need to go and talk at the people I know going to the UK Kotei. Do we want the Inquisitor in our lands or the Capital? I think that it ought to be the Phoenix lands, to stop anyone going all Black Scroll-y again.

On the other hand...sending him to the capital might lead to more shenanigans? I can see either work, to be honest.

Will it really impact the story? I mean, the last decision we made with the other letters feel like they just disappeared

11 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I need to go and talk at the people I know going to the UK Kotei. Do we want the Inquisitor in our lands or the Capital? I think that it ought to be the Phoenix lands, to stop anyone going all Black Scroll-y again.

As a total and utter scrub whose direct influence will never have sway, I favor us tending to our own business for a change ;)

5 hours ago, Victarion13 said:

Will it really impact the story? I mean, the last decision we made with the other letters feel like they just disappeared

Well the since the last fiction directly addressed one of those selections I'd say that is untrue. It takes time to fit the selections into stories and to test cards that may be the result of the story choices so a 6-12 month turnaround is not that unreasonable. I'm sure more of the results will start to show up soon now that the story is advancing again.

The Phoenix have to choose whether to poke at the Kami at home or in the capital.

The Dragon have to choose whether to try for stewardship of the Sword of the Hantei, or try to rig it for the Scorpion.

Interesting that between the ‘rising wave’ looking like a scorpion tail & now this, the Dragon are really getting into their business.

1 hour ago, Doji Hyōkin said:

The Phoenix have to choose whether to poke at the Kami at home or in the capital.

The Dragon have to choose whether to try for stewardship of the Sword of the Hantei, or try to rig it for the Scorpion.

Interesting that between the ‘rising wave’ looking like a scorpion tail & now this, the Dragon are really getting into their business.

The fiction has shown us, in the Whispers of Shadow and Steel novella, that the Dragon seem to be consistently getting themselves involved with Scorpion affairs.

It seems to be mostly centered around the Kitsuki investigator family looking into Scorpion business.....

42 minutes ago, Vulcan646 said:

The fiction has shown us, in the Whispers of Shadow and Steel novella, that the Dragon seem to be consistently getting themselves involved with Scorpion affairs.

It seems to be mostly centered around the Kitsuki investigator family looking into Scorpion business.....

The natural home of a Kitsuki investigator is in a Scorpion's business.

When one seeks evidence of skulduggery, one naturally spends a lot of time around the Scorpion...

As for the Dragon letter... "The Emperor's Safety must be preserved," huh? Well, either the Dragon will help prop up a patricidal unstable creep, or they're a little slow off of the starting line... based on the text of the letter, and talk of the Crown Prince, the latter seems the most likely, since between the Crown Prince passing his gempukku and the Emperor "dying a perfectly natural death, just ask Kachiko," there might not be a Crown Prince.

This feels like either a bit of a fumble on FFG's part or a sign that something is most definitely up...

Edited by Shiba Gunichi
4 hours ago, Doji Hyōkin said:

Interesting that between the ‘rising wave’ looking like a scorpion tail

Not true. The Mirumoto daimyõ imagined the wave looked like that. Yokuni simply stated it was a wave.

52 minutes ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

the Dragon will help prop up a patricidal unstable creep,

Are you sure about that? The letter mentioned "the Crown Prince's friend" as being a Scorpion. As far as I know, only Daisetsu meets these requirements.

Edited by 987654321

because Sotorii has no friends.

I had assumed the letter meant that the imperials still keep the Scorpion as their closest confidants. I didn't think that was specifically about Dairu. Shoju was certainly in Jodan's confidence and probably will be for Daisetsu. Kachiko clearly has Sotorii relying on her. Collectively the children of Bayushi hold significant influence in the imperial court.

Edited by phillos
1 hour ago, 987654321 said:

Not true. The Mirumoto daimyõ imagined the wave looked like that. Yokuni simply stated it was a wave.

So, I suppose the question is how Mirumoto Masahige described it to Mirumoto Hitomi when he gave her command over the Army of the Rising Wave. If he didn't mention it, then it's a moment of idle imagination. If he did, then she may be prejudiced against the Scorpion upon arrival in Otosan Uchi.

11 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

Well the since the last fiction directly addressed one of those selections I'd say that is untrue. It takes time to fit the selections into stories and to test cards that may be the result of the story choices so a 6-12 month turnaround is not that unreasonable. I'm sure more of the results will start to show up soon now that the story is advancing again.

Where? O.O

Oh Kisada. Never change.

That was about right :) Look they probably won't give us the sword, but at least make sure they don't give it to those dirty Crane jerks.

I like that this letter gives us some advancement on our last letter's resolution considering it's telling us Yasuki Oguri was sent to investigate the issue. I wonder when we'll hear more about that subplot.

It would appear at this point that its a safe bet the letters are also addressing the outstanding Worlds choices as the Dragon one confirmed Kitsuki Yaruma (Kitsuki being the Dragon choice from Worlds) is calling for backup to help him in the Imperial Court, and the Crab one has Yasuki Oguri (Crab choice) off to investigate the tower.

Looking forward to seeing who our other characters of note will be from the remaining letters.

2 hours ago, Doji Hyōkin said:

Oh Kisada. Never change.

Well...that settles it. I’m building a Sotorii/Crab/Scorpion deck no matter how uncompetitive it is...

I must say that I am intrigued at the possibility of closer Crab - Scorpion relations that Kisada mentions in this letter....

8 minutes ago, Vulcan646 said:

I must say that I am intrigued at the possibility of closer Crab - Scorpion relations that Kisada mentions in this letter....

Pincer alliance!

Ah, Kisada. As predictable as a sunrise.

"Whatever they say about him is clearly bupkiss."

Of course it is.

Still, good to see the Crab/Crane hostility goes on eternally.

Kakita Yoshi is a fool.

The Crab that's basically a Scorpion and the Scorpion that's basically a Crab?

I'm not missing this!

5 hours ago, Kani Kantai said:

Well...that settles it. I’m building a Sotorii/Crab/Scorpion deck no matter how uncompetitive it is...

Grrr, my deck is not uncompetitive.

I have reservations about undermining the Crane, but I suppose there's a fine line between being strong enough to serve as an effective buffer state and being too strong for us to safely ignore.