[Ruling] Ivory Kingdoms Unicorn

By Bayushi Shunsuke, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

At which step is Ivory Kingdom Unicorn's reaction used during the resolution process at 3.2.8 or 3.3 or other step?

If I attack with Ivory Kingdom Unicorn and other characters, I move Ivory Kingdom Unicorn home with a Favorable Ground and win the conflict can I trigger Ivory Kingdom Unicorn as his text says "after the resolution of a conflict in which this character was attacking", or does he still need to be present at the full resolution to trigger?

Just now, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

At which step is Ivory Kingdom Unicorn's reaction used during the resolution process at 3.2.8 or 3.3 or other step?

If I attack with Ivory Kingdom Unicorn and other characters, I move Ivory Kingdom Unicorn home with a Favorable Ground and win the conflict can I trigger Ivory Kingdom Unicorn as his text says "after the resolution of a conflict in which this character was attacking", or does he still need to be present at the full resolution to trigger?

Ivory Kingdoms Unicorn’s ability triggers after step 3.3, when the conflict ends. Ivory Kingdoms Unicorn needs to be present at the full resolution to trigger.

[Tyler Parrott, Mar 8 2019]

Is his reaction creating a delayed effect that changes the type after you declare you type and ring, or a replacement effect that changes your declaration?

If I declare my first conflict as Military with Hisu Mori Toride, I win the conflict and use HMT in 3.2.3 to gain an extra Military conflict declaration, I react in 3.3 with IKU to declare my next conflict right away. When declaring that conflict do I state what I am declaring, and IKU switches it to military, ex. I declare Political and it becomes Military?

Can I react with IKU, use my extra Military declaration right away, and reserve my political conflict for my 3rd possible declaration?

Is his reaction creating a delayed effect that changes the type after you declare you type and ring, or a replacement effect that changes your declaration?

If I declare my first conflict as Military with Hisu Mori Toride, I win the conflict and use HMT in 3.2.3 to gain an extra Military conflict declaration, I react in 3.3 with IKU to declare my next conflict right away. When declaring that conflict do I state what I am declaring, and IKU switches it to military, ex. I declare Political and it becomes Military?

Can I react with IKU, use my extra Military declaration right away, and reserve my political conflict for my 3rd possible declaration?

When you react with Ivory Kingdoms Unicorn and immediately declare your next conflict, if you have 2+ conflicts remaining, you do not need to specify which type of conflict is being turned into military. Your third conflict can be either military or political, assuming HMT triggered on the first (military) conflict.

If I break a province with two attacking Ivory Kingdom Unicorns, can I trigger both assuming I've used Hisu Mori Toride to allow a 3rd conflict? Will the reaction window close permanently after the first activation? Will we return to the same reaction window after the extra conflict?

If I break a province with two attacking Ivory Kingdom Unicorns, can I trigger both assuming I've used Hisu Mori Toride to allow a 3rd conflict? Will the reaction window close permanently after the first activation? Will we return to the same reaction window after the extra conflict?

The reaction window closes after the first activation, so you could not trigger the second Ivory Kingdoms Unicorn’s ability. You would not return to the same reaction window after the resolution of the immediate conflict.

Can you use Ivory Kingdoms Unicorn's reaction ability if one of your characters has lost the duel against Kakita Yuri? I.e. can you still resolve the part of the effect that lets you immediately declaring the next conflict but the conflict having to have the original type of political rather than military? (assuming that you have a political conflict remaining to declare that is)

Can you use Ivory Kingdoms Unicorn's reaction ability if one of your characters has lost the duel against Kakita Yuri? I.e. can you still resolve the part of the effect that lets you immediately declaring the next conflict but the conflict having to have the original type of political rather than military? (assuming that you have a political conflict remaining to declare that is)

You cannot trigger Ivory Kingdoms Unicorn’s ability if you have lost Kakita Yuri’s duel this phase. Because the rhino’s ability states “that conflict is [MIL] instead of its normal type,” you are declaring a military conflict which Yuri’s duel’s effect prevents you from doing.

[Tyler Parrott, Apr 23 2019]

On 5/19/2019 at 7:17 AM, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

The reaction window closes after the first activation, so you could not trigger the second Ivory Kingdoms Unicorn’s ability. You would not return to the same reaction window after the resolution of the immediate conflict.

But you can go and send the 2nd IKU to the 2nd conflict and chain another military conflict after that, right?