But what did fans say in 1999?

By KCDodger, in X-Wing Off-Topic

It’s no different that Tony and Peter hugging, Quill and Gamora, Carol going “hi, Peter Parker”, Wong “you want MORE?”, assorted monologue-ing.

I just rewatched the film again, and the girls don’t even pause, really. Carol takes the glove and they all start moving toward the goal while more woman join up.

Whole lot of discussion for absolutely nothing. If there had been a dramatic moment when Cap, IM, Thor, T’Challa, Spidey, Bucky, Sam, et.al. had a money shot it wouldn’t even warrant a comment. Oh, wait, there is, in this movie and the previous ones.

On 5/29/2019 at 3:23 PM, Forgottenlore said:

1. It’s no different that Tony and Peter hugging, Quill and Gamora, Carol going “hi, Peter Parker”, Wong “you want MORE?”, assorted monologue-ing.

2. I just rewatched the film again, and the girls don’t even pause, really. Carol takes the glove and they all start moving toward the goal while more woman join up.

3. Whole lot of discussion for absolutely nothing. If there had been a dramatic moment when Cap, IM, Thor, T’Challa, Spidey, Bucky, Sam, et.al. had a money shot it wouldn’t even warrant a comment. Oh, wait, there is, in this movie and the previous ones. 

1. None of those scenes are relevant. My response was to Captain Lackwit saying that he thought the pose was one of the best parts of the movie.

2. 10 seconds from when they first drop in to when they start running. I found it a little jarring.

3. If someone had said that a "heroes together and not doing anything" shot had been the best part of any of these movies, people would have disagreed with that, too.

On 5/15/2019 at 9:59 PM, JudgeDeath said:

Interesting videos, particularly the 1999 one. I was using the internet back then but not visiting those types of sites, so missed all the online controversies. The comment about Jar Jar being a type of Shakespearean fool whose presence provides a satirical commentary almost makes me want to re-watch The Phantom Menace so I can study the character from a fresh perspective. Almost.

Sounds like the sort of Literature Buzzword Bingo answer a high schooler would use to try to impress his English teacher.

On 5/18/2019 at 6:46 AM, Tk421doyouloveme said:

I was 15 when tpm came, and to this date the first, overwhelming emotion I associate with the prequels is "WE GET MORE STARWARS!". I like to think I was among the first Darth jar jar conspiracy theorists on the Lucasfilm forum, even though deep down we all knew it was far fetched. I hardly even considered the flaws the movies had, it was irrelevant.

This feeling stuck with me all through tlj, and I just appreciate the fact that this childish glee still makes me completely ignore the nerd rage. Nobody can mess with the joy I get from Star Wars.

Eh, I was excited for TPM (13 years old at the time), and didn't hate it like some people did. However, the main thing I remember thinking after the movie was that the engineers behind the droid army must have been morons to put the control systems of every single droid into a single ship with absolutely no backups (despite having hundreds of similar-sized ships encircling the planet).

43 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

despite   having hundreds of simi  lar-sized ships en  circling the plane    t    

I have the impression that after the initial conquest most of the fleet withdrew and there was just the one control ship at that point.

Doesn't change your fundamental point, but still...