Refresh phase

By bitzurock, in Rules questions & answers

Which is the right order in the refresh phase?

1. All exhausted cards are readied.
  2. Each player's threat value is increased by 1.

OR

1. Each player's threat value is increased by 1.
  2. All exhausted cards are readied.

I am asking this to be sure when to use Aragorn (Lore)...at 48 threat or 49 threat ?

The answer to the Aragorn question is that if you would go up to 50 threat in the Refresh phase it is too late to use Lore Aragorn's ability. You don't get to use it until after you have to raise threat, so you need to plan ahead and do it the turn before.

This is not directly related to the first part of your question, because regardless of the order, you don't have an action window until after the mandatory steps at the beginning of the Refresh phase.

To be specific, according to the rules you ready characters first and then you raise threat by 1. I'm having a hard time imagining an example of why this order would matter though. Maybe someone else can suggest one.

12 minutes ago, rees263 said:

The answer to the Aragorn question is that if you would go up to 50 threat in the Refresh phase it is too late to use Lore Aragorn's ability. You don't get to use it until after you have to raise threat, so you need to plan ahead and do it the turn before.

This is not directly related to the first part of your question, because regardless of the order, you don't have an action window until after the mandatory steps at the beginning of the Refresh phase.

To be specific, according to the rules you ready characters first and then you raise threat by 1. I'm having a hard time imagining an example of why this order would matter though. Maybe someone else can suggest one.

I was thinking maybe since Aragorn has that Refresh Action printed..it should be triggered after you ready the characters and before raising your threat...but maybe a i am wrong...

17 minutes ago, bitzurock said:

I was thinking maybe since Aragorn has that Refresh Action printed..it should be triggered after you ready the characters and before raising your threat...but maybe a i am wrong...

Just to clarify Lore Aragorn's ability is an Action but does not require to exhaust him. So even if he was exhaust during the action window of the Refresh phase you could still use its ability.

That said during the Refresh phase you first have to complete all the mandatory steps (readying cards, raising threat, passing along the first players token) and while you are doing those you cannot use Action abilities (but possibly some Responses). So Lore Aragorn's ability can always only be used after the mandatory Refresh phase threat raise, which means that if the end of the combat phase you are at 49 threat he cannot save you.

Edited by Alonewolf87

Ok..got it now...thank you!

The Refresh Phase includes these steps, in order:

1. Ready cards

2. Raise threat

3. Pass First Player Token

4. Player Action Window, where you can now trigger Aragorn.

So you would want your threat to be forty eight the round you trigger Aragorn, since it would go up to forty-nine before you have a chance to trigger Aragorn’s ability.

7 hours ago, rees263 said:

To  be specific, according to the rules you ready characters first and then you raise threat by 1. I'm having a hard time imagining an example of why this order would matte  r though. Maybe someone else can suggest one. 

If a player about to threat out controls a Silvan Tracker, then under the actual rules the Tracker does its healing (in particular, of Silvans controlled by other players) before the player threats out. If these two steps were reversed, the Tracker would be gone before the effect could fire.

24 minutes ago, sappidus said:

If a player about to threat out controls a Silvan Tracker, then under the actual rules the Tracker does its healing (in particular, of Silvans controlled by other players) before the player threats out. If these two steps were reversed, the Tracker would be gone before the effect could fire.

Thank you, I thought there might be something.

I was trying to think of effects to do with readying and threat reduction. Obviously I wasn't thinking broadly enough.

I think Spirit ally Elfhelm and some encounter card effects like Gladden Fields can also highlight the importance of the order of these steps.

Since it is an action without an exhaust cost, trigger it at the end of the combat phase in the round you are at 49.

Edited by player3351457
Typo
1 hour ago, player3351457 said:

Since it is an action without an exhaust cost, trigger it at the end of the combat phase in the round you are at 49.

Well, that would be the ideal situation, but Aragorn's ability is specifically a Refresh action.

13 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Well, that would be the ideal situation, but Aragorn's ability is specifically a Refresh action.

Oh humbug. I should have read the card text.

Thank you!