most balanced units

By thinkbomb, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Casual curiosity question here...

Which units are -actually- the best balanced (as per original print).

Storm troopers were kinda the initial anchor point at launch ... but not sure that's still the case.

So I'm wondering what your thoughts are.

Ballanced against what...?

The game was the most fun in my book when the strong cards were Alliance rangers, Weequay hunters, Jedi Luke, Vader, Han and so on. But that was after a two step power creep from original game where 4x4 was the beast via some pre-jabba meta to Jabba power level and then the current stage with Spectre cell.

I play a lot with my kids and my extra figures. I really like the game when elite Stormtroopers are good pieces, when a carefully played Boba can be good and when Bossk is a beast.

Edited by Ram
1 hour ago, Ram said:

Ballanced against what...?

The game was the most fun in my book when the strong cards were Alliance rangers, Weequay hunters, Jedi Luke, Vader, Han and so on. But that was after a two step power creep from original game where 4x4 was the beast via some pre-jabba meta to Jabba power level and then the current stage with Spectre cell.

I play a lot with my kids and my extra figures. I really like the game when elite Stormtroopers are good pieces, when a carefully played Boba can be good and when Bossk is a beast.

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that the Spectre Cell is broken. 😜 So, they'd be on the "over powered" end of things.

In my opinion Hera is a rather balanced unit along with Thrawn, Palpatine, Captain Terro, Vinto, Onar, and R2D2. I mainly say these units because I like them and I feel that they have made the greatest impact on the game.

Edited by NukeADuke

Best balanced against what is a good question. So instead let me answer with some favorites that I think are well designed generally to create interesting play experiences and tactical possibilities.

1. Bantha Rider - No question one of the most unique and interesting units to play with and against.
  2. IG, Vader, Han, and (to a lesser extent) Chewie after their fix cards - Each of these cards pushed the figures deeper into what they were before to make them much more interesting and fun.
  3. Shyla, Onar, and Vinto - Each does a different thing that's pretty unique in the game and does it really well.
  4. Elite Jet Troopers - Their survivability and damage is often surprising but they're very well balanced and play a great variety of roles in skirmish thanks to being Mobile
  5. Chopper - Great tool for punishing terminal sitting but it's his Ram ability that is super neat and useful very often too. R2 just Scomping cards is a bland substitute.

Other great mentions: Terro, Thrawn, Death Troopers, 0-0-0, and Jawas.

I also think Weequay's are some of the worst designed units (I partially blame myself) because they spend way too much time just hiding and shooting.

Edited by nickv2002
2 hours ago, nickv2002 said:

the most unique and interesti  ng units to play with and against.

This, to me, is a good way to gauge units. How interesting are they? How unique? How thematic (this is pretty important I think) and then just to make sure they aren't TOO strong. Some units are just fun.

Big fan of

Chopper,

Greedo,

Onar,

Jedi Luke,

Shyla,

R2 (I actually think he can be pretty fun. Had some games where he pulled off some weird shenanigans to win it for me),

Vader,

Hondo,

Bossk,

Hera,

And some others... Just my opinion on one's I have fun with.

On 5/30/2019 at 2:56 AM, Mandelore of the Rings said:

R2 (I actually think he can be pretty fun. Had some games where he pulled off some weird shenanigans to win it for m  e),

I have to agree. I once had to make a focused R2 attack to win the game.

Edited by NukeADuke
On 6/1/2019 at 8:15 PM, NukeADuke said:

I once had to make a focused R2 attack to win the game.

Me too! We did our own mini tournament last year and I won the tournament with a focused R2 finishing off a badly damaged AT-ST to win the final game! He's nothing to frown at for 3 points! Too bad there isn't a droid version of Assassinate or Tools... I've tried droid lists but the CCs don't really do much for me...