Sparrow Homebrew

By Suzume Urusai, in Houserules

My 5e sparrow homebrew.

Sparrow: + 1 earth +1 Labor

Suzume: +1 air or +1 void, + 1 Theology

Glory 25

Starting Bu 15

Sparrow Storyteller +1 void +1 air

Starting Skills (choose four): +1 Aesthetics, +1 Culture, +1 Martial Arts [Melee], +1 Composition, +1 Courtesy, +1 Performance, +1 fitness, +1 Survival

Honour: 50

Techniques Available: Kata, and Shuji

Starting Techniques

Suzume's Subtle Humour (Shuji)

Choose one: Civility Foremost or Iajutsu Cut: Crossing Blade

Way of the Sparrow

You do not lose honour for using the Labor skill. At the beginning of a scene, you may roll a Culture Recall check tn3. If successful you gain 1 opportunity to spend during the scene on a check.

Starting outfit Sling, Traveling Clothes, Traveling pack, Daisho

Rank 1 Advance

Scholar Skills

Labor

Martial Arts [Ranged]

Survival

Rank 1 Kata

Rank 1 Shuji

Iajutsu Cut: Rising Blade

Rank 2 Advance

Artisan Skills

Courtesy

Labor

Martial Arts [Melee]

Rank 1-2 Kata

Rank 1-2 Shuji

All Arts are one

Rank 3 Advance

Martial Skills

Meditation

Labor

Tactics

Rank 1-3 Kata

Rank 1-3 Air Shuji

Battle the Mind

Rank 4 Advance

Social Skills

Performance

Labor

Martial arts [Melee]

Rank 1-4 Kata

Pillar of Calm

Striking as Void

Rank 5 Advance

Martial Arts

Aesthetics

Labor

Theology

Rank 1-5 Earth Shuji

Soul Sunder

Buoyant Arrival

Rank Six

MUKASHINO:

Once per Scene you may make an Artisan/Scholar Void roll targeting one character at range 2-3. The TN of this roll is equal to your target's vigilance.

You immediately move to range 1 of your target and begin telling a tale. If successful your target is stuck listening to your tale for the rest of the Scene and can only leave if they lose honour equal to your Labor skill.

My very first though, on a brief read through, is for the Mukashino ability: Rather than Artisan or Scholar, why not specifically Composition? If the idea is that you're going to tell them a story, shouldn't composing the story be the initiating roll for it?

I also think the initial school ability should have a way to scale with ranks (don't they all?)

I am also uncertain on an ability that will be rolled, freely? at the beginning of every scene. Seems to slow down the game a lot.

10 hours ago, Suzume Urusai said:

MUKASHINO:

Once per Scene you may make an Artisan/Scholar Void roll targeting one character at range 2-3. The TN of this roll is equal to your target's vigilance.

You immediately move to range 1 of your target and begin telling a tale. If successful your target is stuck listening to your tale for the rest of the Scene and can only leave if they lose honour equal to your Labor skill.

What is behind the name of the capstone technique? Means '- of times past', and would need a word at the end to make it make sense, like "Mukashi no hanashi" - "A tale of times past". Otherwise, are you going for 'Mukashi mukashi' which translates to "Once upon a time", like a traditional way to start a story.

Edit: Sorry, forget that, just looked up 'Suzume Mukashino' and it is a dude's name.

Edited by Miwt
7 hours ago, Avatar111 said:

I also think the initial school ability should have a way to scale with ranks (don't they all?)

I am also uncertain on an ability that will be rolled, freely? at the beginning of every scene. Seems to slow down the game a lot.

It does. Making it equivalent to the Seppun Astrologer's "roll a check, reserve the dice, use them during a scene" is not a bad starting point. Generating a number of kept equal to your school rank that you can add to checks would be good, but you probably want to limit how many you can 'dump' into a given check and/or what types of check they can be used on.

2 hours ago, Miwt said:

What is behind the name of the capstone technique? Means '- of times past', and would need a word at the end to make it make sense, like "Mukashi no hanashi" - "A tale of times past". Otherwise, are you going for 'Mukashi mukashi' which translates to "Once upon a time", like a traditional way to start a story.

Edit: Sorry, forget that, just looked up 'Suzume Mukashino' and it is a dude's name.

Dude is the greatest Sparrow to ever live and was feared in the courtly arena.

Also

Suzume's Subtle Humour

Once per scene you may roll an extra die on a social or performance skill checks. The GM rolls the same die on an explosive success the GM may add an unintended effect to the roll as the audience responds to your brilliance.

Edited by Suzume Urusai

Bushi, Courtier or both ?

Thank you for your work.

On 7/3/2019 at 3:25 PM, ludo199 said:

Bushi, Courtier or both ?

Thank you for your work.

Part of me wants to make this a courtier/artisan school just for the sheer thematic jank.

But yeah Bushi/courtier works.

Compared to the other Schools your Sparrow is missing a few things.: Clan Status, should be 25 because of their low regard among the other Clans. They should start with 5 skills like all the other Bushi and Courtier Schools. They should also have access to Rtuals like everyone else. Their starting outfit should be like the Worldly Ronin.