Uthuk Expanson Ideas

By sarumanthewhite, in Runewars Miniatures Game

Folks,

So, let’s start talking about what you’d like to see in my Uthuk expansion. To get the discussion going, I’d like to capture folks ideas on strengths, weaknesses, and things you think will be fun.

Feel free to share your idea for a card or two- all efforts will be credited where possible

Some kind of cav would be awesome.

Part of the challenge with this is finding the figures to match this idea. My thoughts were to initially try to make more cards for existing figures. Does GW make any figures which could be used for this purpose?

A melee focused, unique surge based, Uthuk only upgrade. Something tuned towards the mysterious surge in the Obscene dial and giving Flesh Rippers some much needed oompf

Edited by Church14

I agree Obscenes seem neat but not entirely baked compared to Threshers. I’m trying to go through all of the dials to find those orphan actions and modifiers that could be mined for fun.

I think the threshers are the outlier, not the obscenes.

Obscenes are a very weird technical siege unit similar to Lancers and Scions. All of them have just plain awkward crap in their dials.

pic4751751.jpg

I've got some of the underworldy/ynfernael suited creatures from Joan of Arc (I'm thinking of the devil character being Loth K'harnate meaning dream walker incarnate, slightly adapting and customising the Terrinoth lore of Genesys: Realms of Terrinoth to fit the campaign series I'm working on for Genesys and Descent. Good for a unit that would scare the plastic I mean flesh out of the armies on the tabletop and lead the ynfernael hordes on their path of destruction, doom and deadly vengeance! To use something that big with RWM you'd need to make large pieces work which may not be doable though. You could use the idea for a hero with one of Descent's less massive pieces.) Descent has quite a good range of ynfernael monster pieces and potential heroes as in Bucho's post above.

Beastmen would suit either Uthuk or Waiqar.

Barghests are like demonic hounds, Hellhounds similarly so

Changelings are demonic creatures (that could maybe take the form and some abilities of something else if you could create the required ruleset)

Demon lords would make a good tough entity

Ynfernael hulks likewise (in Bucho's pic above)

Fire Imps have a very ynfernael vibe to them

Lava beetles aren't specifically uthuk-aligned but might make a home in their fiery realms

Varikas the Dead would be a good healer-warrior hero (who heals with death, check out soul reaper in the Lost Legends Descent deck article for ideas)

Plenty of info here on 2e Descent possibilities (there are also 1e resources out there but you'd have to proxy some minis)

https://descent2e.fandom.com/wiki/Descent:_Journeys_in_the_Dark_(Second_Edition)_Wiki

https://descent2e.fandom.com/wiki/Hero

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/2/11/lost-legends/

What other races/factions/armies might these suggest? Dragons seem an obvious choice with hybrid sentinel minions and Belthir as a hero. Maybe something snake-themed with naga and medusae. Spidery themed with the spider entities and Ariad (who can upgrade to Queen Ariad). A sort of disease/pestilence group with Verminous and plague worms perhaps. Goblins with Splig at the top of the food chain.

For dragons possibly a dragon race and also some dragons specific to the existing races?

More than one human group wouldn't be impossible- the Daqan Lords being a sort of nobility/persons of power and status group- could be others.

There's a few vampires so you could split off Lord Vorun'thul into a specific vampire army, basically you can come up with whatever most inspires you.

Have been a lot of often ongoing discussions on using the different characters and species/races/entities in the Descent and Genesys forums so it can be worth browsing those for ideas.

Playing with the possibility of alliances of different armies might be interesting.

40 minutes ago, Watercolour Dragon said:

Changelings  are demonic creatures (that could maybe take the form and some abilities of something else if you could create the required  rules  et   )  

This is a really interesting idea. You could give them a skill: choose an infantry unit at range 1-unstable, change your unit card to a copy of target unit.

At deployment you choose a unit in your army to copy, so no new models required.

1 hour ago, Jukey said:

This is a really interesting idea. You could give them a skill: choose an infantry unit at range 1-unstable, change your unit card to a copy of target unit.

At deployment you choose a unit in your army to copy, so no new models required.

The suggestion is they can also act as impostors, so it could be a rival piece they mimic.

1 hour ago, Watercolour Dragon said:

The suggestion is they can also act as impostors, so it could be a rival piece they mimic.

I figure they can utilize friendly and enemy forces.

The slots/upgrades and dial would stay as the changeling unit, but they would take the copied units dice, abilities, and hp/A