Waiqar Expansion Ideas

By sarumanthewhite, in Runewars Miniatures Game

Folks,

So, let’s start talking about what you’d like to see in my Waiqar expansion. To get the discussion going, I’d like to capture folks ideas on strengths, weaknesses, and things you think will be fun.

Feel free to share your idea for a card or two- all efforts will be credited where possible

Waiqar has a few glaring omissions that need to be filled before I can really look at future options.

First up, we need to get bone horrors in the game. Maro has no reasonable Cav home, and the waiqar really could use a trashCav unit.

Second, Lord Vs useless seige upgrade...I believe the Lancer is a technical Seige unit (see latari thread for explanation), so either adding a combat seige unit, or giving Lancers the option to have a champion would be great.

Ardus needs some love, maybe a cool skill action, or an i3 march 1 added to his dial.

Duskblade could use some help, either recost it to 4, or say it takes 1 surge. I'm drifting into Errata...

The graveyard should be amended to say 'Waiqar only, Infantry gain regen=natural when at range 1 or occupying this terrain'

Dracolich?

All good suggestions, a couple of which I’ve identified myself like the Maro Cav upgrade... I agree, drifting into errata is a bit dangerous here, but if we’re creating cards, why not put a couple out there? We know FFG isn’t going to solve it...

A unique Carrion Lancer unit with a champion slot. Fluff says they take on aspects of their diet and there is a lot of room to work with that.

Already designed and shortly ready for release!! 😀

Grave Guard. Mentioned already somewhere else: elite reanimates. Could add equipment slot, double regeneration, in-built lingering death, add halberd upgrade : one more red dice, counterattack with 1 blue dice against charge. May ignore - movement modifiers.

40% more expensive. Halberd uses equipment and champion slot.

This unit would make Ankaur much better

Edited by Skaflok

Noted and added to the idea queue. Good suggestions!!

Heh-heh, I forgot this topic had even been out there. Having said that, I guess my point is more about what we can do given that we’re not going to get new figures, the Battlelore figures are available in limited quantities, and those figures are grossly out of scale.

Do you know of anyway to scale them up? I have a friend with a 3-D printer that says if you take photos at a variety of angle, you can scale them up, but you’ll lose a lot of detail in the process...

Battlelore would give you

Bone horrors

Barghests

Banshee

Barrow Wyrm

Reanimates, archers, death knights, and wraiths are already in Runewars.

1 hour ago, sarumanthewhite said:

I have a friend with a 3-D printer that says if you take photos at a variety of angle, you can scale them up, but you’ll lose a lot of detail in the process...

That's an understatement. Most 3-D printers print at 0.1 to 0.4 mm on the Z-axis, which isn't high detail, and there's enough minute variances on the X/Y plane that you get a banding effect going up your work.

If you still want to give it a shot, find a 3-D scanner to take your "picture". If your local library has 3-D printers, there's a decent chance they'll have a scanner, too.

48 minutes ago, Xelto said:

That's an understatement. Most 3-D printers print at 0.1 to 0.4 mm on the Z-axis, which isn't high detail, and there's enough minute variances on the X/Y plane that you get a banding effect going up your work.

If you still want to give it a shot, find a 3-D scanner to take your "picture". If your local library has 3-D printers, there's a decent chance they'll have a scanner, too.

This is why I’m focusing on using existing Runewars figures for now. Phase 2 is to start incorporating figures from other companies like GW’s Age of Sigmar.

I'm going to get my hands on a copy of descent: mists of bilehall soon, the bone horror model in there should scale decently with runewars. The expansion comes with 3 bone horror figures, which is enough to field a 2x1 with maro embedded, or make them a seige with a champion slot, and make maro have a seige champion upgrade.

I’m thinking there’s a lot of opportunity for Descent figures, but for many of the heroes, the scale is way off. I have Hawthorne and the Runewars version looks like he’s on steroids... LOL 😎

1 hour ago, sarumanthewhite said:

I’m thinking there’s a lot of opportunity for Descent figures, but for many of the heroes, the scale is way off. I have Hawthorne and the Runewars version looks like he’s on steroids... LOL 😎

Yeh I tried something similar with ashrian awhile back. She is tiny next to runewars latari. I figure the monsters will scale better, I'll post a pic when it comes in a few days.

pic4751752.jpg

3 hours ago, Bucho said:

Ok so that works great! Maro gets some friends for his mount.

LOL, after Jukey’s insight, I went and pulled out my Bilehall expansion for Descent. I was amazed to find that the Bone Horrors, Banshees and a couple of other types were perfectly scaled and actually fit into the Runewars trays perfectly.

Now the trick is to come up with viable unit sizes based on these limited number of figures so that folks don’t have to spend $100 on 3 copies of the expansion...

I'm thinking bone horrors are 2x1, 2x2, and 2x3, at most, you need two bilehall expansions, but can get 1 to give maro a new platform. They should be pretty bad, but have good hp amount.

I mathed wrong. 2x1, or 1x3, or 3x1 would use 2 bilehall sets.

Edited by Jukey
Math...
6 hours ago, sarumanthewhite said:

LOL, after Jukey’s insight, I went and pulled out my Bilehall expansion for Descent. I was amazed to find that the Bone Horrors, Banshees and a couple of other types were perfectly scaled and actually fit into the Runewars trays perfectly.

Banshees never made it to descent.

Are they Wraiths? We could give them a different name since the figures have substantial differences.

1 minute ago, sarumanthewhite said:

Are they Wraiths? We could give them a different name since the figures have substantial differences.

Bilehall has reanimates, broodwalkers and bonehorrors.

I must have mixed one of the other expansions in it. i’ll send some pictures tomorrow

Has anybody looked at Battlelore? If the scale is reasonable there's a lot of relevant plastic pic3452074.jpg

Descent has a wraith group(left) in manor of ravens and a shade group(right) in Shards of the Everdark

pic4752719.jpg