It Is TIME!!! (or This is NOT It!)

By sarumanthewhite, in Runewars Miniatures Game

So, it’s been nearly 4 months since FFG dropped support for Runewars leaving it to us, the fans, to do what we like with the game. Being a gamer of over 40 years but relatively new to Runewars, I thought I would take a bit to sit back and get the lay of the land before jumping in.

What I’ve noticed is that there’s still a lot of us talking about the game whenever possible, but there’s just not that much to talk about, so I aim to rectify that by giving us something new to talk about.

Yes, that’s right, I’ve been working for about 3 months on what I believe will be the first “Fan-Made” expansion for Runewars- more on that in a moment.

Why am I doing this? Well, because I love the game and see no reason to stop playing. Gaming is a very different hobby these days. With easy access to digital tools, we can create a lot of content to share amongst fans. Several CCG’s have done this with great success- I think of the Star Wars: TCG from Wizards (they have like 15 expansions) and the Star Trek: CCG from Decipher (I think they have even more).

This should create a very positive environment for the game to exist. Whether it thrives or not is up to us. When we talk to new players, I recommend we tell them the following:

1. The game is a good solid game with very asymmetric factions that are fun to collect and paint.
  2. The figures are still available and cheap- people are selling entire armies on eBay and anything you can’t find on Amazon can be found on the FFG website
  3. There’s new content being created so any investment you make will not be wasted, instead it will be rewarded with enjoyment
  4. There are tournaments running across the US this year with no intention of stopping
  5. The guys working on this expansion are working on new races using other commercially available figures
  6. In the end, if we have a local group that’s having fun, who cares what anyone else thinks?

So, getting back to the purpose of this message. I have an outline for a narrative expansion with a working title, “The Alignment: War for the Shards of Timmoran”. This would be a card-only expansion (obviously) to get us up and running. We need to build credibility within the community that we’re serious about this and having something with a deliverable is critical to that effort.

Most importantly, this content would be shared throughout the community for free to ensure that we are not violating any of FFG’s hard work. After all, we are all appreciative of the company and the great games they’ve released over the years. If anything, this expansion will hopefully help them sell down existing stock, possibly leading to reprints or a (gasp!) 2nd edition...

With that, here’s my thoughts on what to include in the expansion.

• Unique units - This would be a card attached to a unit of a specific size, typically one that is not played that often or in the mid-range of possible sizes giving it unique flavor and ability with possibly different allowed upgrades
  • Alternate units - This would be a modification of the existing unit regardless of size for the same points value to minimize any record keeping.
  • Race-Specific upgrade cards - At least 2 cards for each type for each faction.
  • Generic upgrade cards - At least 4 cards of each type that each faction can use.
  • Alternate Hero-Specific upgrade cards - At least 2 cards for each hero to give them new builds
  • Race-Specific Abilities - I love how Overgrowth further defines the Latari from the other races and have abilities for Daqan and Waiqar already designed. These abilities are woven through the various upgrade cards to give even more army building options.
  • New Terrain Cards - Variants for the existing terrain cards if folks think they’re needed.
  • Campaign System - I have to admit, I was truly inspired by @Viktus106 narrative for an expansion and ideas of how to create a campaign where both sides are searching for the Shards of Timmorran revealed during a period of time when the forces of magic aligned (“The Alignment”) to reveal them. As those Shards are discovered by each side, new powers are unlocked leading to more epic battles.

As you can see, there’s quite a bit going on here and I can’t do it by myself. So, I’m asking for any volunteers to pitch it, specifically in the following areas:

• Design - Here’s the good news, I have over 80 upgrade cards, new units, & unique units ready for review today with another 40-50 in process. I would like to introduce a unique mechanic for each race that further defines them This does not mean that everything has been decided, quite the opposite, it gives us something to react to and improve upon with some valued community feedback.
  • Playtesting - We all saw what happened with a some of the Uthuk stuff and we don’t want a repeat. More playtesters will help...
  • Graphic Layout - I’m a scientist, not skilled in digital layout (beyond cut & paste), so if anyone can assist with putting the card text onto the appropriate images, it will help create a more polished set and facilitate playtesting
  • Narrative Campaign Story - I’ve seen some people on the group who are obviously inspired to write. If this appeals to you, please reach out to me.
  • Campaign System - This is a lower priority item, but I’m thinking of a more narrative system that doesn’t create uneven forces after just a couple of battles (like Corellian Conflict for you Armada players).
  • Community Support - This is one of the easiest. Tell your friends, keep them playing and try to rope in a couple of new ones along the way. Setting a regular night to play, but realizing that folks have lives and that sometimes you’ll get a bunch and other nights, you’ll have to cancel. We just aren’t as big as some other games- that’s OK, we make up for it with our commitment.

I think to start, I’d like to get folks thoughts on the strengths/weaknesses, and most desired things for an expansion. Feel free to suggest a card or two along the way- all suggestions will be credited where possible.

I’m thinking that the first step is to get some feedback from the veteran players here, revise the package, and then put it here on the forum for playtesting and feedback.

In the end, I don’t expect everyone to agree on everything. This is a fan expansion for the fans and people will choose to use what they like. Also, I’m not trying to necessarily balance or “fix” the game. That’s being handled by @Bhelliom Regardless, all I can say is that I’m committed to the end result and will deliver something that is professional and enjoyable for all of us.

Remember, ”What Is Dead May Never Die!”

If you want to learn more about me, you can find me on LinkedIn:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/cliff-yahnke-ph-d-56881629/

Edited by sarumanthewhite

For me it comes down to people to play the game with. I love the idea of new content, but I don't know if we can get enough promotion to take it beyond the really dedicated few who inhabit the forums and post.

I am very on board with this project! It sounds like you have a lot pretty well set up so far, so I think the next step is playtesting what you have. We'll see what works, what needs work, and what jives with the community.

I think a good step would be getting a uniform relative cost spreadsheet worked out (calling all data analysts!). Basically, create a tool that helps build units and cards with appropriate costs. This way, anyone can create something, and at least get it in the ballpark of balanced. This would also help see what cards and units are over/under-performing.

Feel free to PM me about any kind of game development or ideas.

I should add, new command upgrades would be awesome. The existing figures can easily continue to work, though finding some good cav figures to bring new options in would great too.

Edited by Jukey

I'm not going to reply to each faction thread separately, but my recommendation for starting is some cavalry and/or siege champions for each faction. (That is to say, something like a cavalry/siege command pack.)

Edited by Xelto

Happy to get involved in play testing . I too love the game and have a few fellow gamers I can access to get involved who also have Runewars

This sounds like a great idea! I'm all for new content!

@Hepitude and @Saltire - thanks for hopping in! You’re both in the playtest group. I figure I’ll let things hang around here for a couple of weeks to collect any ideas and we’ll take it from there!

“What is Dead May Never Die!”

And my bow. I have bazillion of boxes three armies with six siege trays each, and 3 players playing with me. count me in.

The Fellowship is forming!

I’d be interested to hear everyone’s opinion about upgrade cards that seem significantly under-costed. While I want an expansion that is looking forward, not backward, I certainly don’t want to miss a chance to adjust something that is viewed as a mistake. The limited number of upgrade cards that we have can bias that perception, but it seems like there’s some upgrade cards that just get stapled to certain unit for various reasons. To me, a good expansion makes everyone re-think that calculus. One way to do that is to come up with good alternatives, another is to adjust the points of the offending cards.

For me, it seems like the initiative modifying cards have taken on a disproportionate impact in the game. “Winning” the charge makes it seem like Raven Tabards is an auto include and getting the first shot at Range (normally I5) makes Raven Standard Bearer the default choice for Reanimate Archers. I think that if we move the points cost on these cards up a bit and provide them with other good options, that will unlock a lot of unit-building and (hopefully) tactical choices.

Let me know you thoughts on this...

5 minutes ago, sarumanthewhite said:

I’d be interested to hear everyone’s opinion about upgrade cards that seem significantly under-costed.

I think it's a good idea to look at, but you're already overextending yourself. I would focus on your expansion as already proposed first, and come back to this later.

For errata to existing cards, I would like to see limitations, resequencing, or rewording how the card works over point changes. There are some cards that need help, and nerfs though.

I always thought Latari weren't making enough use of over-growth.

I was thinking either a hero or sorceress unit champ that could cause enemies at range 1 to Natural runes take Natural runes in damage.

Likewise, another sorceress that causes 1 unit within range 1 to green runes of an overgrowth to gain an immobilize token (grasping vines).

I see latari with 2 build themes; mobility and/or overgrowth. Right now, mobility is viable, overgrowth is not.

On the topic of Latari, would love to see a satyr unit; with the ventala keyword. Could open up a lot of options.

I'm super excited about this thread. I'm following for sure.

Excellent, I was out for a week or so for some surgery, but I also wanted to play in our tournament last weekend with Church and Jukey to get some perspective. I’ve been working on this and have the card templates all ready to go. They are high-res and will look very nice when printed. Getting the font’s to match wasn’t possible, but I have all of the icons.

I’m going to release this in two batches. The first will be the Generics, Daqan, and Waiqar. Give me another two weeks on this. This will give everyone a chunk of things to test before I do the Latari and Uthuk. I need to work with Jukey and Church on these two races since they play them a lot.

Awesome. Game needs new content.

Somebody posted in the tactics thread today, and the previous post was me on march 1st.

Many/most of the topics is use of new units, and new ideas. With nothing new, the game stagnates; which is a shame, it's a great game.

We’re getting there. Trust me, we will have a lot to comment on and we need your list building insight to make the cards better/balanced. You have very good insight on how to do this based on some of your other lists/posts... 😀

Just let us know the form you want the Uthuk and Latari expansions to take an we can work them out

'Something Big is Coming....' 😉

....Eventually.

It won't be official or licensed mind you, but it's coming.

OMG. Can I have it? ???? ;)

Hi,

I've been monitoring the discussion from the most active members, and I can't wait for whatever you plan to release. I made a forum account just to post here 😃

Basically, I believe that the only overly ambitious thing is the new unit, because everything else can just be printed (alternate unit card, upgrades, alternate terrain) and makes the barrier that much lower.

I also think that fixing what's already present can be a good idea. For example, you mentionned the Raven Tabard, but the over reliance on Rank Discipline and Tempered Steel is also an issue.

Good luck

On 6/14/2019 at 3:49 PM, Fezvezz said:

Hi,

I've been monitoring the discussion from the most active members, and I can't wait for whatever you plan to release. I made a forum account just to post here 😃

Basically, I believe that the only overly ambitious thing is the new unit, because everything else can just be printed (alternate unit card, upgrades, alternate terrain) and makes the barrier that much lower.

I also think that fixing what's already present can be a good idea. For example, you mentionned the Raven Tabard, but the over reliance on Rank Discipline and Tempered Steel is also an issue.

Good luck

Personally, I’d rather provide viable alternatives than errata. Sure, changing tempered steel to a discard would shake things up but I’d rather offer other options.

Truth be told, I’d rather also lean into faction specific upgrades that provide an alternative. Basically, keep making factions even more unique. An equivalent to Serrated Spines is what I’d shoot for. It actually works out comparable to TS for smaller units and for units rolling only red dice.

Edited by Church14
7 hours ago, Church14 said:

Personally, I’d rather provide viable alternatives than errata. Sure, changing tempered steel to a discard would shake things up but I’d rather offer other options.

Truth be told, I’d rather also lean into faction specific upgrades that provide an alternative. Basically, keep making factions even more unique. An equivalent to Serrated Spines is what I’d shoot for. It actually works out comparable to TS for smaller units and for units rolling only red dice.

You are right, I didn't express myself well. I meant that there should be decent alternatives to these two cards, because they are simply too good "catch-all" cards. As usual, it's more fun to buff stuff than nerf OP stuff.

25 minutes ago, Fezvezz said:

You are right, I didn't express myself well. I meant that there should be decent alternatives to these two cards, because they are simply too good "catch-all" cards. As usual, it's more fun to buff stuff than nerf OP stuff.

Great point. That’s exactly how I see it. It’s not that they are necessarily OP, it’s that there’s no good alternatives...

You are also spot on regarding the upgrades vs. units. Creating dials at this point is a stretch for me. With a ton of good upgrades, we will be able to play this game for a long, long time.

The first batch of stuff is coming soon. Give us another week or so... 😀

Having just found the game for playing with my kids at home really happy to see this thread