Ability to transfer saves needed.

By mattman285, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

We need the ability to transfer saves to other devices or a cloud for the saves. I have to use the family ipad(only one we have) when the game is in use. I decided to buy a smaller tablet but don’t want to start over. Make an easy transfer system please!!

You should contact customer service. Ffg stuff don`t read these forums.

The app should have Asmodee account linked and have some cloud space to store campaign saves on it, so it will be share among other devices. MoM 2nd edition did not have that, which was ok... (not really) but since this one has a Campaign mode this function is a must.

Also the same thing applies to DLCs, they should be linked to account so you don't have to buy them multiple times along different devices/platforms.

To clarify, Apock2 is saying how this should have been implemented (in the ideal world).

The reality (at least right now) is that:

• Campaign data is stored locally on each device with no built-in cloud backup or sharing of campaigns across devices
  • In-App purchases are not shared across platforms (Google Play, Apple Store, and Steam are all separate purchases)
  • There is no built-in way to save, backup, restore, export, or transfer campaign data from one device to another

As such, if you are using an iPad or iPhone, you are basically screwed since unless you Jailbreak/root your phone (is that even possible anymore?) since you cannot pull the save files off the device.

At least if you are on Android, Steam, or any other platform besides iOS you should be able to plug the device into a computer and retrieve the save file and then transfer it manually to another device.

So we are saying, when my phone eventually becomes unusable, breaks, gets stolen etc, any expansions added will be pretty much lost?... This makes no sense.

No. It means if you purchase expansions on an iOS device, you will only have access to those expansions on an iOS device. But you could own 3 iPads and 4 iPhones, as long as you are logged into those devices with the same Apple ID, all of those devices will have the expansions you have purchased.

But if you switch to an Android phone, or install the app on Steam, those platforms don't use your Apple ID so you would not "own" any of the expansions on those platforms.

It's very easy to copy save files manually between Android and PC (Steam). Apple doesn't let you access these files so you'll need to either always have the same device or purchase a cheap Android device or PC to move save files. I would blame iOS a lot more than FFG for this. I personally refuse to use any iOS devices as I can't stand the overbearing control they impose.

I’ve tried copying saves between Steam accounts but didn’t manage to make it work.

With iOS devices, purchasing from an Apple ID means you’ll have the DLC if you log in to another iOS devise using the same Apple ID.

Same with Steam, you’d only have to buy it once on your Steam account and you’ll have it on any device you log in with that Steam account.

No syncing between different platforms or devices. The only syncing it has is between the same Steam account on different devices.

You could finish the campaign off on your family iPad and replay it on your own device when you are done. Replayability is great!

I moved the save file from an Android tablet to Steam on PC and everything worked fine.

On 5/3/2019 at 12:18 PM, MeeKey said:

I’ve tried copying saves between Steam accounts but didn’t manage to make it work.

With iOS devices, purchasing from an Apple ID means you’ll have the DLC if you log in to another iOS devise using the same Apple ID.

Same with Steam, you’d only have to buy it once on your Steam account and you’ll have it on any device you log in with that Steam account.

No syncing between different platforms or devices. The only syncing it has is between the same Steam account on different devices.

You could finish the campaign off on your family iPad and replay it on your own device when you are done. Replayability is great!

I might do that. 3 kids and a wife and 1 tablet makes it not always available. But I will likely finish on that device first. I did contact customer support to see if they plan to add any cross device support for saves. I will update on what I hear back.

I contacted FFG and steam is the only place that offers cloud support for saves. They told me there are currently no plans to add cloud saves for devices but they would submit my request.

Glad I read this before committing campaigns to my iPad. Having my laptop on the table isn't as economical, but being able to keep everything on Steam is tempting...

3 minutes ago, shoreless said:

Glad I read this before committing campaigns to my iPad. Having my laptop on the table isn't as economical, but being able to keep everything on Steam is tempting...

The only reason why I use my android device is because it can screen cast to a TV. The sound lags and cracks sometimes, but it is much easier than bringing a laptop (which I don't have) and running an hdmi to a TV.

The problem is I have to have 1 iPad device devoted to the game, but wanted something else because our family shares the device. Now I bought a smaller android device for this game but can’t transfer the saved games. It’s frustrating. I have a friends game, family game and a solo already going.

Hello, I managed to transfer my saved files from Android to computer, using the app LOTR Journey in middle earth.

But I didn't manage to copy files from an Android to another one. I copy all the files in a new folder "1", but it doesn'y work. Have you some clues ? Thanks.

I've copied all the data when I got a new tablet. I did that using the Android's (Samsung's) data copying option when doing the tablet's first time setup. I was honestly surprised that it worked for LOTR since it lost Imperial Assault and Descent app data.

I would probably use the Steam version otherwise but my 14" laptop is a retired business model which has Ubuntu-Mate installed so not possible to install LOTR on that since it doesn't support Linux.

On 10/20/2020 at 10:43 AM, player5876512 said:

Hello, I managed to transfer my saved files from Android to computer, using the app LOTR Journey in middle earth.

But I didn't manage to copy files from an Android to another one. I copy all the files in a new folder "1", but it doesn'y work. Have you some clues ? Thanks.

If you haven't already tried it, could you use the laptop as an intermediary?