Which character is on the other side of the new card backs?

By Kani Kantai, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

The female Bushi in blue armour - is that art that has been used in a card yet?

Not that I recognise.

Presumably a Crane Bushi.

- Gunso Moto Obvious. ;)

No, we've not seen who/what that might be yet.

The armor was pointed out as quite reminiscent of the armor of the Topaz Champion and since the 1 cost Togashi Monk is one of the PC's from the beginners box adventure wouldn't surprise me if it ties into that. It may not be a character per se could an event or attachment.

11 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

The armor was pointed out as quite reminiscent of the armor of the Topaz Champion and since the 1 cost Togashi Monk is one of the PC's from the beginners box adventure wouldn't surprise me if it ties into that. It may not be a character per se could an event or attachment.

I was just spotting that as well. There's enough room in the pack for the 7 pre-gens and the Topaz Champion as a neutral.

3 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I was just spotting that as well. There's enough room in the pack for the 7 pre-gens and the Topaz Champion as a neutral.

You mean a Mantis neutral (or did your group somehow manage to make him the winner?)

4 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

You mean a Mantis neutral (or did your group somehow manage to make him the winner?)

I was thinking about the Topaz Champion card art mentioned in the OP.

4 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I was thinking about the Topaz Champion card art mentioned in the OP.

I realize. I still prefer my answer though, mainly because the idea that any of the PC's could have become champion appeals to me and I'd prefer it as a neutral attachment or event that any clan can easily take advantage of.

1 minute ago, Schmoozies said:

I realize. I still prefer my answer though, mainly because the idea that any of the PC's could have become champion appeals to me and I'd prefer it as a neutral attachment or event that any clan can easily take advantage of.

It does appeal, but you could only fit a neutral attachment in if there's no Unicorn conflict card, which is unfortunate. What would you say if it was a Crane attachment, with 1 influence? The Crane do run the Test, and it favours the Kakita.

11 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

It does appeal, but you could only fit a neutral attachment in if there's no Unicorn conflict card, which is unfortunate. What would you say if it was a Crane attachment, with 1 influence? The Crane do run the Test, and it favours the Kakita.

Not a fan personally of it being tied to any clan since it then of dictates splash, but given the art that may be the route they went.

Although it could also be an event, or from a different pack.

Edited by Schmoozies

True, we're still only speculating that the Province backers feature art from the same pack that you can pre-order them with.

4 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

True, we're still only speculating that the Province backers feature art from the same pack that you can pre-order them with.

And since that would mean Crane would be getting Kuwanan and presumably a new Hotaru in the same pack which may be a little much to expect.

I would also assume that's the Topaz Champion armor. I believe that's suppose to be the previous Topaz champ from before the beginner box starts. It looks to match her description. I like that they are giving us low cost characters for the pregens that participated in the tournament in the starter box. I think that's really cool. I'd like to see more characters from the published adventures get cards.

Edited by phillos
3 minutes ago, phillos said:

I would also assume that's the Topaz Champion armor. I believe that's suppose to be the previous Topaz champ from before the beginner box starts. It looks to match her description. I like that they are giving us low cost characters for the pregens that participated in the tournament in the starter box. I think that's really cool. I'd like to see more characters from the published adventures get cards.

Educate me: How many “gemstone” champions are there, and what do they do? Are they like the Rainbow Guard in ASoIaF?

9 minutes ago, Kani Kantai said:

Educate me: How many “gemstone” champions are there, and what do they do? Are they like the Rainbow Guard in ASoIaF?

In O5R there were 4 main ones at this time Period.

• Emerald Champion - Emperor's personal champion and head of the Emerald Magistrates
  • Jade Champion - equal to the Emerald Champion dealt with matters of a spiritual nature and head of the Jade Magistrates (office was/is defunct at this time but was revived later in the setting)
  • Ruby Champion - assistant to the Emerald Champion and responsible for administration of the Emerald magistrates. It was normally bestowed on a samurai who showed a deep understanding of Bushido and Imperial Law
  • Topaz Champion - Winner of the tournament at the most prestigious Gempukku event in the empire. Winning the event carried great prestige and usually opened the door to future opportunities including high level appointments

Later in the setting they added a number of additional champions including

• Pearl Champion who was responsible for maintaining relations with the Naga.
  • Turquoise Champion who was the cultural leader of the empire
  • Amethyst Champion a prominent courtier and "guardian" of the Crown of the Amethyst Champion (a gaijin artifact that granted great wealth and influence but would curse the owner if lost)
  • Ivory Champion - Similar to the Emerald Champion only for the Second City colonies in the former Ivory Kingdom
  • Onxy Champion - Jade Champion of the Spider Clan
  • Obsidian Champion - Emerald Champion of the Spider Clan

In the current FFG continuity I believe we only know of four. Emerald, Jade, Ruby and Topaz. All the others were from the legacy continuity.

The Topaz Champ is like if one athlete won the Olympics. The Topaz Championship is an invite only cross clan event where each clan nominates candidates to compete in the tournament. It's a genpuku ceremony so all the participants are kids who haven't earned their samurai names yet. The tournament encompasses lots of different events but culminates in a sword dueling tournament.

Edited by phillos

I'm kind of expecting the Topaz Champ card to an attachment. Either the Topaz Armor itself, or a "Topaz Champion" Condition.

If they make the attachment such that it can only be equipped on a low cost character, to reflect it goes in noob people, it would be fun

I don't even think a Jade Champion exists right now.

19 minutes ago, Kakita Shiro said:

The position shouldn't have been active for a few hundred years but it does in theory exist if an Emperor wants to fill it.

3 hours ago, Kakita Shiro said:

Yeah, it's a totally pointless position.

23 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

The position shouldn't have been active for a few hundred years but it does in theory exist if an Emperor wants to fill it.

No, I mean I'm not even sure if such a position has ever existed in the new game. Admittedly, I've fallen behind in reading the RPG sourcebooks so something could contradict me there, but yeah.

No, the Jade Champion and Magistrates are mentioned in the books, but it is noted the position is currently defunct.

No Maho here, don't need a Jade Champion.

40 minutes ago, Mirith said:

No Maho here, don't need a Jade Champion.

*looks at Isawa Tadaka & Kuni Yori*

Are you sure about that?

Edited by Mangod