Join us in the Madlands! (First Midwest League Tournament)

By Jukey, in Runewars Miniatures Game

Hey Everyone! Save the date, we are having a Runewars tournament in Madison, WI on June 8th, located at the Sun Prairie I'm Board games and family fun store. Registration will begin at 10:00 AM, Set dials and roll dice from 11-7. Entry fee is $10

Here are the official bits:

Standard 200 point army format. The tournament will be 3 swiss rounds.

Prize support will be store credit split up amongst the top 3 places. We will also be handing out alternate art cards to each player after every round and an additional alternate art card or set of tokens for each winner. These will be from previous quarterly kits.

For the tournament, we will use:

Conquest

Encircling Maneuvers

Hunter’s Quarry

Forward Scouts

Oblique Formation

Overextended

We are also going to use two rules changes/errata:

1. A unit that performs a movement (shift or march) that would make that unit overlap or touch terrain can enter that terrain even if it was already touching that terrain.
  2. A unit cannot enter or exit terrain outside of its own activation. This means the movements caused by Scuttling Horror, Insatiable Hunger, and Etharyon of the Ailatar cannot cause a unit to leave terrain as they occur outside of the unit’s activation.

If either rules change is confusing or you want clarification, contact Church14 or Jukey on the FFG forums or email [email protected]

This is tentatively going to be the first Tournament of the Midwest League, something I have been working on getting up and running. Basically, the plan is to have quarterly tournaments around the midwest area. If anyone is interested in hosting a location please PM me. Looking forward to seeing you all at the event!

Team Chicago will be there! Expecting 4-6 people...

Hm. 11-hour trip for me.....

There is a dirt cheap hotel about 20m south. And I’m talking the room keys are still actual keys and the floor is some sort of fake wood type cheap....

Alright, time for a bit more seriousness... not seriousness... uh.... **** it.

I am going to let the the community decide some of my army that I bring to this tournament. Between here and discord I’ll tally up and keep narrowing down suggestions. I play Uthuk and Waiqar and generally have enough for a max formation of most units and some spares of others.

FYI, the game store should have the posting and registration up soon.

1. A unit cannot enter or exit terrain outside of its own activation. This means the movements caused by Scuttling Horror, Insatiable Hunger, and Etharyon of the Ailatar cannot cause a unit to leave terrain as they occur outside of the unit’s activation. ...And vorunthul upgrade?
2 hours ago, toriano said:
  1. A unit cannot enter or exit terrain outside of its own activation. This means the movements caused by Scuttling Horror, Insatiable Hunger, and Etharyon of the Ailatar cannot cause a unit to leave terrain as they occur outside of the unit’s activation. ...And vorunthul upgrade?

Lord V already has that caveat written into the card, oddly, it does nerf firstblade of lord aenoth, but I've never seen much mileage from that card anyway.

Yeah... I called out the problem children cards. There would be a few others that get affected

Alright all. Let me know which of the Uthuk or Waiqar heroes you want to see me run for this tournament. This will decide what standalone hero I’m working with and what army I’m gonna run

Ardus

Ankaur

LordV

Ravos

Kethra

Beastmaster

Gorgemaw

4 hours ago, Church14 said:

Ardus

Beastmaster

Gorgemaw

My vote is for one of these three

Edited by swarmer
On 4/29/2019 at 11:36 PM, Jukey said:

Prize support will be store credit split up amongst the top 3 places. We will also be handing out alternate art cards to each player after every round and an additional alternate art card or set of tokens for each winner. These will be from previous quarterly kits.

I won't be able to be there (too far for my real-life issues right now, I might be able to do something in the Indianapolis-to-Ohio area later), but something of note in this area: I've found that a number of libraries have started adding tech labs in their main branches, with for-public use of things like 3D printers, laser cutters, milling machines, UV printers, and the like. It might be worth checking around the various communities' libraries to see who can create what in the future, and poll the community members for who has skills to make art and/or design files.

My library has laser cutters, embroidery machines, button makers, vinyl banner printing... but unfortunately no UV printers yet. I've made the suggestion to them, though.

I will do my best to be there

Final results from these birds, discord, and local guys was a tie between Ardus and Ankaur. I’ll decide between which one or both.

So, what unit would people want to see me run?

Reanimates

Archers

Lancers

Death knights

Wraiths

Well the feedback is in. Ardus and Ankaur tied and people overwhelmingly want to see wraiths. I’ll be working out a viable list with that in mind

Update for the tournament:

Jukey and I have been working on making sure the errata we are using for the tournament is appropriate. We’ve been finding that the “Cannot enter or exit terrain outside of its own activation” isn’t enough to eliminate or at least some of the abusable mechanics we’ve found and have been trying to avoid. We are going to update the errata to:

“Units cannot enter or exit terrain outside of their activation. Units cannot shift to disengage outside of their activation unless they are engaged with the active unit.”

When I get the time to do so, I’ll wax verbose on why.

EDIT: Got some feedback on the wording.

Edited by Church14

One week away! If we get more than 4 this will be the biggest runewars tournament ever held in madison 😁

Excited for a fun event!

3 from Chicago are confirmed with 1 at 75/25. Hotel rooms are booked for Saturday PM...

How are we going to do the deployment and objective selection? Are you guys thinking of a normal scenario where low bid has the option to choose one of the two and the other player gets the other choice... or were you thinking to use the tournament rules where the TO makes the choice?

Three objective, three deployments, TO draws them randomly for each round. No repeats unless we do a round 4 for some reason. Player with lowest bid chooses 1st or 2nd. So standard tourney. We’ve done enough messing with the game with two errata to the rules and I’d like to not throw too many more wrenches in the works.

8 hours ago, Church14 said:

Three objective, three deployments, TO draws them randomly for each round. No repeats unless we do a round 4 for some reason. Player with lowest bid chooses 1st or 2nd. So standard tourney. We’ve done enough messing with the game with two errata to the rules and I’d like to not throw too many more wrenches in the works.

Sounds good...

Couple of other things:

1) I noticed the terrain selection and deployment rules heavily favor the first player. What has been your experience with this? I think part of this perceived imbalance is that 2 of the 3 deployments you’ve selected have only one terrain of each type. This means that the second player’s terrain deck will not factor into the game. A slightly more balanced approach would be to have one of the two terrain types (defensive/dangerous) have its first draw from the first player’s deck while the first draw of the other terrain type could come from the second player’s deck.

2) Do we need to register with the store? We’ve got 3 or 4 coming...

1 hour ago, sarumanthewhite said:

Couple of other things:

1) I noticed the terrain selection and deployment rules heavily favor the first player. What has been your experience with this? I think part of this perceived imbalance is that 2 of the 3 deployments you’ve selected have only one terrain of each type. This means that the second player’s terrain deck will not factor into the game. A slightly more balanced approach would be to have one of the two terrain types (defensive/dangerous) have its first draw from the first player’s deck while the first draw of the other terrain type could come from the second player’s deck.

2) Do we need to register with the store? We’ve got 3 or 4 coming...

1) I'll discuss this with Church and see what he thinks, it's an easy errata.

2) I had asked the store to do a sign up/registration, but last time I checked they didn't have it up. I made sure we had room for up to 12, looks like we have 6-8 for sure. I would say just show up, if there is an unexpected turnout, I'll drop to just TOing the event to make room.

1 hour ago, Jukey said:

1) I'll discuss this with Church and see what he thinks, it's an easy errata.

2) I had asked the store to do a sign up/registration, but last time I checked they didn't have it up. I made sure we had room for up to 12, looks like we have 6-8 for sure. I would say just show up, if there is an unexpected turnout, I'll drop to just TOing the event to make room.

It’s a casual tourney, I don’t have any issue with changing that particular rule for a day

Also, not sure what the playmat situation is at the store, but if you have one or two, please bring them.

I have two FFG mats and a nice vinyl 3’x6’ mat that I got from Russia (of all places). You’ve probably seen it in my battle reports. That will cover two games which is the 3-4 players coming from Chicago.

The tournament went great! Thankyou @sarumanthewhite for making the trip with 2 more from your community (did not catch if they had forum names or not, and I dont post peoples names without their permission), we'll refer to them as J and D

I managed to actually win the event, with @Church14 close behind in second, and Saruman in third. Excellent tactics and sportsmanship from everyone!

d1CLoCf.jpg

Total of 6 players was a good turnout all around. Church has the lists and will be posting some data on that later I think.

IF6thZ0.jpg

We had 2 Daqan, 2 Latari, and 2 Waiqar. I guess Uthuk were on leave for this lol.

Hw50HyD.jpg

1 of each was from Chicago, so we had some interesting variations to the faction metas.

EbhwJHX.jpg

What I found most interesting was the spread of units and upgrades used. The differences between Chicagos meta and Madisons meta was rather unique.

5b9lkC9.jpg

More info on all that when we get the lists up.

4 lists made use of Raven Taberds, and a lot of the games decisive moments came down to having the initiative at the right time.

ERQREeJ.jpg

The most fielded unit was Ventala, mostly because D ran a triple 2x1 Ventala build, and I had a 2x2. Next most common was 3x2 Death knights (3 of them) and 3x1 Crossbows (3 as well). Scouts, Deepwoods, and Lord V each showed up in pairs.

8wrePD8.jpg

I think we only had 2 blowout games. One was me against Daqan when I got a 9/2, and it was mostly due to great dice and upper hand initiative. The other was Church vs J with Waiqar (I think) when he got a 10/1, every other game was a bloodbath, which was great.

H6BjQak.jpg

Without a doubt, Etharyon of Ailatar and Malcornes bequest were the MVP cards in the tournament. Had I not brought them, I would not have been showering my opponents with fire runes with perfect positioning.

erp1h2h.jpg

It was great being able to teach eachother a lot about the game. I don't believe there was any game where we didn't have a learning moment or discover a niche interaction we had never seen before (which is crazy, church and I have been playing since the beginning!)

0rhWucQ.jpg

I cannot overstate how great the painting was on chicagos armies, which I believe was mostly all Saruman, his figures are so well done! Every matchup looked great!

Y04eqly.jpg

(Sarumans awesome looking Daqan)

cDS1DY0.jpg

This was my favorite moment in the day (below)

63J9EIR.jpg

Lord V roaring in the face of Lord V, moments like these just make me chuckle.

ksBnRNn.jpg

All together it was a great day! Sorry for lack of details on the battles and lists, hopefully we get that up soon, just want to post something on the event.

We plan to continue the Midwest league in Chicago sometime in September/October, so stay tuned!

If anyone is interested in hosting a future Midwest event in the future, let us know! We hope to keep the game and Community thriving.