Game mat

By DutchAlex, in Star Wars: Outer Rim

The game mat looks pretty awesome. I hope it will be available the same time the actual game is released.

sw05_gamemat_700x.png

Seems weird they didn't put the spaces for the decks in the middle of the arc. That's a lot of dead space, unless the idea is that's where you roll the dice.

Seeing how the Journey's in Middle Earth mat is now available, I'm guessing this one will be available pretty quickly after Outer Rim comes out. It's a real kick in the Outer Rim to Game of Thrones players who have been waiting since last year for their announced game mat though.

On 5/1/2019 at 5:12 PM, DailyRich said:

Seems weird they didn't put the spaces for the decks in the middle of the arc. That's a lot of dead space, unless the idea is that's where you roll the dice.

Most likely the middle of the arc is for storing the planet encounter card decks. I know that's where I place them at least.

On 5/8/2019 at 11:40 PM, MajorSmexy said:

Most likely the middle of the arc is for storing the planet encounter card decks. I know that's where I place them at least.

The fact that they marked spaces for the Market, but not for any of the other decks messes with my OCD too much. It moved the mat from a "must-have" to probably not bothering with. Also I'd much rather have preferred player mats or some alternative to the player board, because when I played the game last weekend for the first time, our biggest issue was that the player board didn't stat put, it kept moving, or spinning when you bumped it (it doesn't seem to actually lie flat)

i think the other decks may not have been marked because the board configuration can change... Maybe it could have only blank deck outlines.

I’m curious if the mat will even work with expansions, especially if the expansion has additional board pieces.

2 hours ago, RookiePilot said:

i think the other decks may not have been marked because the board configuration can change... Maybe it could have only blank deck outlines.

I’m curious if the mat will even work with expansions, especially if the expansion has additional board pieces.

I would expect expansions to include extra map pieces, but that these would be exchanged with the current ones, it won't increase the length of the board. (as this would affect complexity and play time much more)

Anyone heard a release date yet? My Outer Rim order is held up because of the playmat and it is driving me nuts! Serves me right for preordering them both.

Any ideas when the mat is going to be released?

On 7/10/2019 at 4:23 PM, Bigdan said:

Any ideas when the mat is going to be released?

I called FFG when it didn't get released alongside the game. The rep said that she spoke with a developer who said "sooner rather than later." But that's not much to go on, since it could be anything. Development? Quality? Licensing? Logistics? International Politics? Any or all? Other?

I canceled my pre-order from my online retailer just so that I could finally get the game itself, which I didn't get until just last week. Not sure that I want that mat at all anymore.

11 hours ago, Wh0isTh3D0ct0r said:

I called FFG when it didn't get released alongside the game. The rep said that she spoke with a developer who said "sooner rather than later." But that's not much to go on, since it could be anything. Development? Quality? Licensing? Logistics? International Politics? Any or all? Other?

I canceled my pre-order from my online retailer just so that I could finally get the game itself, which I didn't get until just last week. Not sure that I want that mat at all anymore.

Yeah I did the same, will probably just cancel the mat now as well. Can just use my x-wing one in any case.

A shame really.

16 hours ago, Bigdan said:

Yeah I did the same, will probably just cancel the mat now as well. Can just use my x-wing one in any case.

A shame really.

Played Outer Rim this past Tuesday during X-Wing night. We used X-Wing starfield playmats that are sitting at the FLGS. In fact, we used two of them so that there was plenty of room for all of the game components with room to spare. Worked perfectly.

This just in...

That is great! I was getting ready to cancel my order, but now I don’t have to.

I pre-ordered this in the UK in August. Every time the expected day comes up the store's delivery date shifts a month. Now says Jan 2020.

1 hour ago, monk said:

I pre-ordered this in the UK in August. Every time the expected day comes up the store's delivery date shifts a month. Now says Jan 2020.

I’m not sure what’s going on. For instance, now Miniature Market doesn’t even sell it. My best guess is that either a.) FFG sold out of them very quickly and has ordered a reprint, b.) there’s an expansion on the horizon that is not compatible with this mat, c.) the whole Hasbro/Star Wars board game distribution thing is causing legal problems, or d.) there are shipping issues coming out of China. (Andrew Navaro stated in his AMA video a few months ago that the effect of the tariff war between China and the U.S. was “not good” but declined to go into detail.)

Forget about the mat, the game itself is sold out at all my usual online stores. By the way, coolstuffinc still has mats for sale.

37 minutes ago, RookiePilot said:

Forget about the mat, the game itself is sold out at all my usual online stores. By the way, coolstuffinc still has mats for sale.

I saw a copy of the game on the shelf at Barnes & Noble just this afternoon.

I’m sure some brick and mortar locations still have stock, but it does appear that the game in general,is selling out and not being reprinted yet. I’m not ready to join in on the conspiracy theories that this game is out of print, as there are many much simpler explanations for the current shortage.

If someone is looking for a sealed copy let me know. There are two B&Ms in Colorado Springs that have the game.

I've been looking for a mat that is available in Canada. Most onlines don't have any left.

Amazon Canada has a few but they want $65 Canadian plus shipping. Seems a wee bit pricey to me.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:20 AM, XVS Sixfifty said:

I've been looking for a mat that is available in Canada. Most onlines don't have any left.

Amazon Canada has a few but they want $65 Canadian plus shipping. Seems a wee bit pricey to me.

Did you find your mat? I am going to my local store this week. Do you want my to check if they have one?

On 1/29/2020 at 11:20 AM, XVS Sixfifty said:

I haven't been able to find the Outer Rim game mat at any local stores. I've been using X-wing mats but I'd like to get the Outer Rim mat instead. They seem to be sold out right now. I wonder if FFG will be restocking them in the future. But I've been trying to get a Death Star I X-wing mat for years but it doesn't seem like they're being made anymore. I hope that doesn't mean the Outer Rim game mat will never be made again.