How common are non-Human PCs in your games?

By Concise Locket, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Current campaign is:

1 Drall

1 dude Twi'lek

3 Humans (Clone, Corellian, and Human)

Past Campaigns from a total of about 20 or so players over half a decade (not all at once, parties rarely get over 7):

7 Humans (At least three have been Corellians, one Mando)

1 Twi'lek

1 Cerean

1 Zabrak

1 Toydarian

2 Wookiees (they were brothers)

1 Bothan

1 Droid

2 Chiss (also brothers)

1 Mon Cal

Most of my games tend to be human dominated, which makes sense, and with a bias towards rubber forehead aliens for any aliens. The ones who aren't tend to gravitate towards comic relief, but I wont say they were bad characters as I really liked them. Every campaign I've ever had has had at least two humans. If you count Chiss as humans then one party was all human with one Mon Cal.

All in all, people playing humans or basically-human aliens is pretty predictable. People don't want to play weird aliens unless it's as comic relief or it's a wookiee. And this might just be me, but if the weird alien isn't in the movie they wont even stop to look at it. Like Mon Cals, Toydarians and stuff makes sense because they're in the movies. Only Drall is an exception because that INT base stat.

There's a very clear "I want to be a human but speshuler" thing I see with people who pick the rubber forehead aliens, especially when they choose a race that might be ugly and they feel a need actively tell me how pretty their PC is. I dunno, if you're going to play an alien play something weird like a Dug or something, I never liked rubber forehead aliens, they feel like a cop-out. This is why my houserule is you can't be a Pantoran and not look like George Lucas.

Edited by Ricky Olie

Hmm. IIRC we had a group of:

Droid (IG-style) ,
Twi'lek, the Face
Verpine, the Ace
Droid (Astromech) and best buddy with the Verpine Ace.
Pantoran (Force User) (started as a human irrc)
Human, the Heavy (and Force User) (started as a Polis Massan)

Edited by SEApocalypse

in my first campaign, there was no human at all. everyone in my group seems to be very keen to try out all of the alien species (me included)!

first campaign (edge) was: 1 twi'lek, 1 nikto, 1 hutt, 1 duro, 1 pantoran and 1 verpine.
had to put it on ice due to 2 players leaving for an undetermined time.

our new campaign (force): 1 human, 1 mirialan, 1 thisspassian, 1 zabrak.

Currently on the home game I'm running. Zero humans.

Aleena - Ataru Striker

Pantoran - Pathfinder

Sathari - Artisan

Bothan - Shadow

Kaminoan - Soresu Defender

Nautolan - Defender

13 hours ago, CloudyLemonade92 said:

Aleena - Ataru Striker

Love this already.

On 4/26/2019 at 9:56 AM, damnkid3 said:

In my 1st game of 4 players we had 3 of the 4 players were aliens. Since it was and age of Rebellion campaign the players found it harder when interacting with the Empire. In both of my current games every one picked humans, even though I told them we were playing in outer rim and wild space so the Empire wouldn't have a big presence.

I one of my players doesn't like aliens since doesn't know kuch of start wars lore. The others like The extra skills that human get and benefit with blending in. I even offered to let them have human stats but visually be a different race and had no takers.

Personally I can kinda understand that. If all I liked about the human species was the stats I still wouldn’t really want to transfer those to a new species just because if I’m swapping species I want to play that species. If you know what I mean? First time commenter.

I am currently GMing my first campaign (also with nobody in the group ever having played it). Started off with half the party wanting to be droids. I talked them out of that for the first time I'm running just because I didn't feel ready. After that, of the four players, only one even had an interest in human. Ended up with:

• Human (Explorer, Trader)
  • Duros (Technician, Outlaw Tech)
  • Chadra-Fan (Smuggler, Thief)
  • Klatooinian (Hired Gun, Heavy)

I don't think I've ever made one human charactet during the time I've been playing. Of characters I've played, I've had a human (mandalorian), a gand twice, a verpine, gotal and duros.

When I've dm'd, nesr humans are pretty common like twi'leks (usually 1-2 players out of 6), but the less human looking aliens always seem very rare, which I think is a shame. There's so many species in this, why woukd you want to be 'just human'?

On 1/8/2020 at 12:21 PM, Stethemessiah said:

Campaign I'm GMing is a party of 6.

2 Humans, 1 Gank (that's narratively human), 2 Twi'leks, and a Droid.

Can you please share the Gank PC's narrative? As someone who likes the gank stats but only ever plays human, I'm genuinely intrigued.

In our current campaign, we have mostly alien PCs (Cathar, Devaronian, Twi'lek, and Gand), with only a single human (clone).

Across the five campaigns I've run or played in (I'll exclude one-shots): I've personally played a Trandoshan (which is not a great thing to play when you're the most knowledgeable person about Star Wars at the table - especially when the character is a sociopathic bounty hunter) and an Arkanian (which is a much better choice when you are the most knowledgeable person on Star Wars at a table). The current group I am running consists of a Nikto, a Verpine and a Zabrak. Of the people I play(ed) with regularly, one prefers playing non-human characters - or I should say non-near-human, but overall my noticing seems to be people seem to prefer what they'd understand, so they gravitate away from the more alien physiologies (other than the aforementioned player who is an entomologist and likes figuring out why things would've evolved that way, what body parts do, etc). Human seems to be the default choice for people less comfortable or less familiar with the source material.

Totals:
Human x4
Arkanian
Droid
Gand
Nikto x2
Trandoshan
Togruta x2
Twi'lek
Shistavanen
Weequay
Wookiee
Verpine
Zabrak

On 5/11/2020 at 2:21 AM, StriderZessei said:

Can you please share the Gank PC's narrative? As someone who likes the gank stats but only ever plays human, I'm genuinely intrigued.

Over the course of several blue books it has developed into quite the extensive backstory.

The short(ish) version is that her old crew were running a salvage operation, and on a particularly lucrative job, involving an old CW era cruiser, **** hit the fan. Somehow the cruiser started to drop out of its orbit, and the crew betrays her, sealing her on the ship. It starts to break up on entry, explosions, injuries, etc.

She finds the medbay, miraculously the old med droid there is still working and saves her life.

Ship crashes, she loses limbs, droid puts her back together, even using one of his own legs.

We had a pretty unorthodox and deranged group in a campaign that lasted four years. Six players and no human PC's:

• Toydarian Politico (I guess he didn't fire a weapon even once during the four years)
  • Droid Mechanic / Marauder (Reprogrammed battle droid, had some problems controlling hidden aggressions)
  • Arcona Doctor / Gunslinger (Specialized in shooting the droid in the back, self promoted himself as Admiral)
  • Sakiyan Bounty Hunter / Force sensitive (She had lots of bad feelings, teenage son and a strange relation to her mentor)
  • Bothan Gambler (fired a blaster twice during the campaign, first time eyes closed)
  • Wookiee Driver / Pilot (Loved to bathe. Wet wookiee hair was a thing in the campaign.)

The group had an unarmed Luxury Yacht 3000 that was modified to serve as a mobile spa. The ship's name was Star Tub.

Loads of fun ensued... :D

Having given this some though, trying to remember, I think that we always have roughtly 50% humans in our groups. We haven't played that much SW this millennium, and while we gamed a gazillion hours of WEG d6 SW in the 90s, I really cannot remember all those parties and party compositions. The 21st century parties I've been involved with (especially following a big return for us to Star Wars inspired by the wonderful Disney Era of stuff), goes something like this:

Pre-Clone Wars Jedi party 15-ish years ago (WotC SW):
(These are approximations as I don't quite remember the specifics)
Human Jedi Consular
Human Jedi Sentinel
Twi'lek Jedi Guardian
Some kind of shooter-dude, but I can't remember the species or build at all for this one. Possibly another human, though.

Proto-Rebel party 5 years ago (WotC SW):
Human Soldier
Human Jedi-something
Holo-camoflage assassin droid (can't remember what they're called)
Duros pilot

Proto-Rebel/Kathol Sector exploration party - present (AoR)
Human Politico/Imperial Cadet
Human Outlaw Tech/Force Sensitive Emergant
Rodian Pilot/(Sharpshoot)
Weequay Scoundrel/Martial Artist

Post-Separatist shinanigans survival party - present (EotE)
Human Driver/Recruit
Human Ambassador
Magmaguard Droid (reprogrammed) Marauder
Nikto Gadgeteer

I've touched on this before, but only generally referenced as part of a broader point and I've added more (and expanded some) since, so hey-ho here I go:

Circa 20 BBY Bounty Hunter Campaign :

• 4 Male Human (Mandalorian)
  • 3 Female Human (Mandalorian)
  • Male Shistavanen (narratively Mandalorian)

Circa 1 BBY, Mandos sent to rebuild the Basilisk War Droids:

• Male Human (Mandalorian)
  • Female Twi'lek (narratively Mandalorian)
  • Female Zabrak (narratively Mandalorian)
  • Male Gank (narratively Mandalorian)

Circa 0 ABY, Rebel insurgents:

• Male Human
  • Male Kyuzo
  • Male Elom

After the First Battle of Dathomir, one-shot ("finding herself"):

• Clone (so, pretty much Human)
  • Dathomirian

Circa... sometime after the Battle of Jakku, one-shot (exploration):

• Male Shistavanen*
  • (there were miscellaneous NPCs with a pretty large spread across the species spectrum, but they aren't relevant here)

Circa 20 BBY, one-shot (courier):

• "It" Droid
  • Male Clawdite
  • Male Trandoshan

Imperial campaign (player):
(Some characters are retired/on hiatus)

• 6 Male Humans (one is me)
  • 2 Female Humans
  • Male Zeltron
  • Female Zeltron**
  • Male Duros
  • Male Zabrak
  • Male Jawa

A High Republic campaign (player):

• Male Kyuzo (me)
  • Male Hutt
  • 2 Female Arkanians
  • Female Human
  • Male Twi'lek

Swoop-racing on Corellia (player):

• Male Besalisk (me)
  • Female Human (Corellian)
  • Male Cerean
  • Male Human
  • Male Gigoran

Clone Wars alternate universe campaign (player):
(leaving out some characters who dropped out very early on, but some of these are retired/on hiatus)

• 3 Clones
  • Male Human
  • Female Devaronian
  • Male Mirialan
  • Female Mirialan***

Summary:

• 7 Male Human (Mandalorian)
  • 3 Female Human (Mandalorian)
  • Female Human (Corellian)
  • 8 Male Humans
  • 3 Female Humans
  • 4 Clones
  • (26 Humans of one stripe or another)
  • 2 Male Shistavanen
  • Male Twi'lek
  • Female Twi'lek
  • Male Zabrak
  • Female Zabrak
  • 2 Male Kyuzo
  • 2 Female Arkanians
  • Male Zeltron
  • Female Zeltron
  • Male Mirialan
  • Female Mirialan
  • Male Gank
  • Male Elom
  • Male Cerean
  • Male Basilisk
  • Male Duros
  • Male Jawa
  • Male Hutt
  • Male Gigoran
  • Female Devaronian
  • (23 aliens of one stripe or another)

If you cut out the Mandos from the Mando-centric bounty hunter campaign (both human and alien), it's 19:22 human to alien.

*This was actually from a character built by the GM (me) that the player selected upon suggestion rather than building their own character.
**No relation(ship) between the two, but dubbed "Lord and Lady Pinky" by my rather disdainful Stormtrooper, whose mother warned him about Zeltrons. :D
***No relation(ship) between the two, except potentially Master (female)/Padawan (male).

Edited by P-47 Thunderbolt
On 4/27/2019 at 1:17 AM, Varlie said:

Humans are the least common characters in my groups.

Game 1: Bothan, Clawdite, Sluishii (SP), Human, Twilek

Game 2: Jawa, Gotal, Droid, Human, Togruta, Weequay

In the online game I am playing in, I am playing an Ardennian and we have a Drall and two Humans

Looks like Human is the most common as there are two of em and only one of every other species.

Just now, Fandabidozi said:

Looks like Human is the most common as there are two of em and only one of every other species.

Depends on whether you're splitting it into Human/Alien or Human/Twi'lek/Zabrak/Sullustan etc.

4 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Depends on whether you're splitting it into Human/Alien or Human/Twi'lek/Zabrak/Sullustan etc.

Lol, yeah I got that, I was just being silly. Also, did not expect you to reply so quick!

16 minutes ago, Fandabidozi said:

Lol, yeah I got that, I was just being silly. Also, did not expect you to reply so quick!

Just happened to be walking by...

No humans in the current group.

• Chiss Steel Hand Adept
  • Zeltron Charmer/Scoundrel
  • Jawa Outlaw Tech
  • Kyuzo Navigator

I haven't had an opportunity to play much of EotE but I've played a lot of the WEG d6 Star Wars RPG. Humans were a rarity for my groups. Personally I've never run one. We had some of the more well known races like Rhodians, Chiss, a Twi'lek, and a Trandoshan, but for games I ran the players usually gravitated to weird races that either were rarely seen on screen or ones that were seemingly invented for the game.

There was this tiger-like race that I can't remember the name of, but they were the most common since we had two of them at once in a couple of our games. There was a Jawa in one who eventually decided he wanted to change character concepts so his Jawa became their ships NPC engineer. There was also this 4 armed bipedal race that inscribed star-maps on their skin that I believe had some kind of religious connotation. He was an awesome navigator and melee fighter. Then I've got a player who made some kind of bird man. He couldn't fly or glide but had naturally awesome eyesight so he became the best gunner/sniper of the group. I've had several of my players work with me to create custom races for their characters, with them being some of the more memorable characters in the game, and yes we made sure they were balanced well, the players just ran some very fun characters.

When I'm not running the game I like playing physical characters either with or without the force. My favorites were a Wookiee warrior who loved to toss stormtroopers around, and a Noghri on the run from the Imperials who eventually picked up some force powers and a pair of light sabers, and with the help of another force sensitive player, managed to take down an elder Krayt Dragon. The Noghri was in a long running game so he has some fun stories behind him, like the time he stole a Starviper from black sun because it was the best option during an escape despite it giving him new people to run from.

Did anyone who played d6 star wars ever try the gaseous cloud race? I had players look it over and wonder how on earth they were meant to use it. if you tried it, would you mind sharing what that was like?

Edited by Hippie Moosen

So far I have had only 3 characters since starting to play and neither have been played much. 1 is a twilek who I plan to start as entrepreneur then go performer. A second is a clawdite mechanic who usually looks human. 3rd is a somewhat protocol droid who is a bodyguard.

I have only run four games of Star Wars, and one of those I provided pre-generated character for so I won't list that game.

D20 Revised - Party was a group of three padawans and one scoundrel. The only non-human was the Gungan padawan.

5e homebrew rules (you can find those floating around the Internet) - Three humans and a Rodian, but the Rodian died and that player rolled up an Ithorian replacement.

FFG - One human, a clone trooper, a mon calamarian, and a cosian. There was a player that ghosted the game that was also a human, and that player definitely fell under your "wish fulfillment" suspicions.

First Edge+Age campaign I ran was 4 humans out of 10 (Bothans, Droid, Jawa, Twi'Lek, Sluissi) second Edge campaign was 2 humans out of 7 (Bothan, Twi'lik, Klatooinian, Droids).

First Age game I played in was 0 humans out of 8 (Gank, Dug, Bothan, Mirialian, Droids, Zabrak, Rodian), and first Force and Destiny game had 2 out of 7 (Ithorian, Wookiee, Cathar, Toydarian, Droid).

One shots . . . I think any time there's been a human they've been the only one, and they're not very common. The Lost and Found were human, Klatooinian, Ugnaught, and Givin, for instance.

So the answer to the question of the thread is that the odds of a character being non-human are never less than 60%, usually higher.

A lot! I have been running for 2 players for nearly 2 years. They always choose human + one a droid.

We love the freedom Star Wars gives us to make up our own stuff. Players have helped me make a human variant and give personality to some races. None of us really care much about the Star Wars cannon or being as close as possible to the films. In my opinion is the great advantage of this game/setting, somebody on the internet will have made some sort of lore/stats/custom art related that you can take inspiration from and make your own thing.

Custom races of Silenia Sector: Eddeni (human variant, amber eyes dominant gene), Karanu (dreadlock thugs), Merovech (though warriors), Sileni (like little Alien that love technology but their planet got screwed), Kreegan (2 variants: savage / slave), Bamayan (small jungle adapted), Haidoralian (humans with yellow like skin, kind of like Mirialan), Adumari (small farmer like and peaceful).

I just go simple. Merovech are loyal, big warriors and can't conjugate verbs. Sileni are small, playful and come with a 1000 gadgets, Bamayan only say 'Bamay', 'Wild' Kreegan are the alien version of Fremen from Dune without stillsuits etc.

Also have used a lot of aliens from the movies, it kind of needs it to create the 'Star Wars' feel:

Mon Cala, Verpine, Quarren, (I run and adapted Shantipole), Droids, Weequay, Devaronian, Ughnaught, Toydarian, Wookie... etc. etc.

I kind of use those aliens in a stereotypical way as I have found out that it helps players to create a stronger mental image. Toydarian is a version of Watto, Weequay are thugs, Devaronian usually the shady/drunk dude in a pub... although sometimes I change things a bit a to surprise the players.

Edited by Josemix