Provoke and Exhaust Question

By Radish, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Hello we just played the first scenario and I had a question that is probably dumb but I didn't see an exact answer in the rule books. When you provoke an attack from an enemy is it always exhausted afterwards and then only readies at the end of the Shadow Phase? This came up when a bunch of monsters jump on a player, that player left the space and got attacked, and then the monsters were all grayed out on the app indicating they were exhausted and no longer able to be provoked. I just wanted to make sure this was a standard rule that they basically only can attack once a full round. I found a lot of references to how exhausted monsters act when they are in ready or exhausted states and what happens when they are provoked, but nothing really indicating they exhausted afterwards outside of "35.6 The app automatically readies and exhausts enemies as required; all enemies are readied at the end of the shadow phase."

Exhausted enemies do not provoke, not even elites.

After you provoke, enemies still remain readied.

So best tactic is to attack, get counterattacked and then you won’t need to provoke every time you want to move or interact nearby enemies.

Edited by MeeKey

I was looking into this too and found:

LtP p.13 Enemies become exhausted either after the app activates them or after they attack .

35.4 An exhausted enemy cannot be provoked.

21.5 Elite enemy groups can counterattack if they are exhausted.

Yeah, important distinction that counter attack is not the same as provoke.

Hi there. Just a few follow up questions to this discussion. This might have been covered in other threads. If so, my apologies. Under the Provoking rule (71), it says there are two ways an enemy is provoked, by a movement action or by an interact action. The Attack action is covered by the response ability of the enemy to counterattack. I get that. But it seems that the the attack action ITSELF does NOT provoke enemies. It also mentions other ways to provoke: 'because of a game effect that allows them to do so' - which I have not encountered up to this point.

So, two questions:
a) If my Hero has multiple enemies in his/her space, and if he attacks one group, does that provoke the others in the space that are not involved? (I think not).
b) Same situation, can my archer (Lego) shoot outside of his space at another target? (I think so) and if so, does that provoke the enemies in his space? (I think not).

I appreciate any feedback.

For A, no. Attacking only makes the group you attacked counterattack, and does not provoke any other groups.

For B, Correct on both accounts.