Maul's "Equip Dark Side upgrades

By feltipern1, in X-Wing Squad Builder

This seems like the best place to put this, although it's more of a rules question...

How come the app does not allow a Scum ship carrying Maul to equip Dark Side Force abilities? The card specifically states "You can equip Dark Side upgrades". Is there some way of enabling this slot?

Edited by feltipern1

The pilot/ship would need to have a force slot. I think the only scum pilot that does is Ventress. But I'm not sure about that.

No, the only one is Ventress...you're right. I guess I was assuming that Maul added the slot since he allows the equipping. Ventress can already carry Hate, which is the only "Dark Side" upgrade that I know of currently.

17 hours ago, feltipern1 said:

No, the only one is Ventress...you're right. I guess I was assuming that Maul added the slot since he allows the equipping. Ventress can already carry Hate, which is the only "Dark Side" upgrade that I know of currently.

That specific clause on Maul is targeted at the Rebel-with-Ezra squads that take him, as without Maul Rebel squads cannot use Hate or future Dark Side upgrades.

@rawbean : Makes sense. I don't use Rebels, so that wouldn't occur to me.

What designates a pilot as being "Dark Side" for purposes of equipping Hate?

1 hour ago, papy72 said:

That's an interesting question. I'm not sure if it's faction-limited or Force-power limited. I don't play either Rebels or Imperials, who would have occasion to use more Force powers. The app probably has a limiting feature built in, like it does for some ships that can't access certain upgrades unless something that allows it is in place; for example, you need a red barrel roll action to equip Expert Handling, and you need an Astromech slot in order to make use of Spare Parts Canister. I'm sure there are also others.

4 hours ago, papy72 said:

At the moment, all of the force users in the Empire, First Order, Separatists, and Scum and Villainy factions can equip Hate. Force users in the Rebel Alliance, Resistance, or Galactic Republic cannot equip Hate without a card ability allowing that ship to equip dark side upgrades.