Homebrew shugenja monk

By Longes, in Houserules

Hi everyone. I wanted to do a shugenja/monk school because everyone loves kung-fu wizards. I chose Asako Henshin as my labrats because I actually don't care, they are just convenient. I know Kaito already exist, but I want a more punchy flavor and bigger focus on invocations over kata.

This is a WIP, but all comments and criticisms are welcome.

Asako Henshin (Monk, Shugenja)

Rings: +1 Void, +1 Any
Starting skills (choose four): +1 Fitness, +1 Martial Arts [Unarmed], +1 Meditation, +1 Theology, +1 Sincerity, +1 Medicine
Honor: 45
Techniques available: Invocations, Rituals, Kiho
Starting techniques:
Invocations (choose two): Path to inner peace, Armor of Earth, Wall of Earth, Dominion of Suijin, 
Rituals: Commune with Spirits, Divination
Kiho (choose two): Freezing the Lifeblood, Earth Needs No Eyes, Earthen Fist, Water Fist, Ki Protection

The Elemental Riddles (School Ability): As a downtime activity choose a Ring. Until the next downtime all invocations and kiho activation checks made with this ring add additional bonus successes equal to your School Rank

Rank 1:
Scholar Skills
Fitness
Martial Arts [Unarmed]
Mediation
Rank 1 Water Invocation
Freezing the Lifeblood
Striking as Earth

Rank 2:
Martial Skills
Sincerity
Theology
Medicine
Rank 1-2 Earth Kiho
Power of the Earth Dragon
Open Hand Style

Rank 3:

Q: Why Water/Earth?
A: Mostly because Togashi are Fire/Earth and Kaito are Air/Water so I wanted something different.

Q: What is their Invocation flavor?
A: I'm leaning towards Elemental, because Phoenix, but Fortunist is a solid contender, because Monk. Could even be Foreign because they are proprietary Henshin techniques with direct, practical names.

Q: Why can Henshin do Invocations?
A: Because I want them to. A Watsonian answer however would be that Henshin focus on and close attunement to the elements enables them to build an intimate relationship with the Kami that the Togashi lack due to focusing on internal practices and thus Kiho. Alternatively, the Henshin invocations are only mechanically similar to the Shugenja Invocations, in actuality being a direct manipulation of the elements by means of Henshin Mysteries.

Q: What's the logic behind the school ability?
A: Togashi gain 6 free kiho and add school rank bonus successes to them. Fortunists gain 6 free invocations and add school rank bonus successes to them. Henshin don't get free kiho or invocations, but they can add bonus successes to all checks in one ring. This makes them potentially narrowly more powerful than either, but requires planning of which ring you are going to use.

Edited by Longes