Asahina Takamori

By FriendofYoda, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

What do we think of this new guy?

Good traits, high glory, strange ability. My first thought was being second player and watching your opponent flip a LPB or Prodigy and knowing you could block them, but then I wondered if he could trigger on himself?

Will he see play?

Asahina Takamori.png

Nice support piece to Uji.

With tengu sensei as well, he would be nice I think

I like him too, hoping to add him to my midrange Crane.

On 4/22/2019 at 4:27 PM, FriendofYoda said:

... but then I wondered if he could trigger on himself?

He sure can. As soon as he's fully in play, his reaction trigger condition is met, so you can totally take advantage of it. But notice, it's only once per turn. Will it see play? I think so. I hope so. I like Crane Shugenja in general, because it allows you to play the odd Cloud or maybe splash Supernatural Storm. He's expensive for a base 0/0, heck I think he's expensive for the 3/3 he could be if honored. But that ability is pretty cool.

1 hour ago, twinstarbmc said:

He sure can. As soon as he's fully in play, his reaction trigger condition is met, so you can totally take advantage of it. But notice, it's only once per turn. Will it see play? I think so. I hope so. I like Crane Shugenja in general, because it allows you to play the odd Cloud or maybe splash Supernatural Storm. He's expensive for a base 0/0, heck I think he's expensive for the 3/3 he could be if honored. But that ability is pretty cool.

I agree, I like the ability and more Shugenja options, alongside the new Master of Keepsakes, is nice. I think also a way to make the opponent think twice about their Dynasty purchases if they're first player is a fun addition to the game. There's ways around it but in general I'm hoping I can make space for a 2 of this guy.

I think his inclusion will be somewhat based upon how prevalent seaming decks are because he really doesn't help much when you're spending 4+ fate for 0 stats and to just turn off a 1-2 cost character.

If the game stays focused on towers and mostly midrange play then he could be a house.

1 hour ago, Ishi Tonu said:

I think his inclusion will be somewhat based upon how prevalent seaming decks are because he really doesn't help much when you're spending 4+ fate for 0 stats and to just turn off a 1-2 cost character.

If the game stays focused on towers and mostly midrange play then he could be a house.

How would you look to use him effectively currently? Just mulligan away early unless you're second player and then see what the board state is like when he turns up?

Well Uji is ridiculous and the current meta doesn't have long before the Crane pack comes out. I think it will be pretty much standard to run a couple copies of him.

When facing a swarm deck just pitch him unless you see some valuable targets, i.e. Shono. But even then it's a risk due to Unicorn's movement and generally playing big fate people with Charge or Cav Reserves, and this guy won't stop either of those.

As long as your opponent is also investing a good amount of fate on a character and keeping a pretty tall board instead of a wide board, you should be fine.