Any Designer Series impressions yet?

By TeufelHund666, in Tide of Iron

Most of the talk has been about Normandy - does anyone have any impressions of the Designer series book yet?

I'm particularly interested in the proportion of smaller scenarios to epic slugfests, for example.

Well, I just got both the Designer's Series and Normandy this evening. After unpacking Normandy and getting all the bits squared away in my warchest, I've just started to sit down with the book.

Some quick stats:

There are 22 Scenarios.

8 of the scenarios use Days of the Fox.

3 of the scenarios are Multiplayer scenarios.

Most of the scenarios are 7 or 8 rounds in duration. A few are 6 and 9 rounds. The rest are 4, 10, 12, and 20 rounds.

The index breaks the scenarios down by number of turns, multi-player, and time period. Something written in the "how to use this book" suggests their's a breakdown by # of units and strategy decks used but if it's there I haven't found it yet.

The mega-scenario is 20 turns long and uses 24 map boards! I won't even get into the amount of units involved. Suffice it to say that there are a lot and at the moment I'm struggling with where to try and set this up. Could be fun to do at say GenCon as an all day event with rotating teams or something like that.

I kind of wish they would have put the ToI, ToI: Days of the Fox, and Normandy rulebooks in there. Any chance to consolidate the bits and pieces is a good one. Especially feeling a little tight on space since normandy stuffed my warchest to the point that I can't put the designer's series book in it and I had to pull out my dice rolling tray.

From an aesthetic perspective I love that it's hard cover, the binding seems good... it has almost a highschool yearbook feel/quality to it in terms of the slick pages and thickness of the book. Since I haven't had a chance to really read any of the flavor text and what not I can't speak to that, so for now these are my first impressions and now I'm off to read.

My first impressions are that the Designers Series is, as advertised, 96 pages of wargamers heaven ... aplauso.gif

I'm off to read myself.