[Blog] X-Wing Analytica: the Definition of an Ace

By GreenDragoon, in X-Wing

Just saying, the better player lost in our 3rd game :( But I know for shure that in our next game it will turn out different!

10 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Four new battle reports from a small extended tournament where I tried the hatchet aces. Many valuable lessons learned.

https://greendragoon.home.blog/2019/06/03/battle-report-extended-tournament-2-6-19/

Great report!

For the rules of 11: it is true for official ffg mat and american made ones as a whole, while European ones go for the rule of 10,5 since it's the conversion to the metric system (where you switch to 90x90 cm from 3x3 feet ) which loses that 0,5 range.

This is why I always ask the TO where he got his mats from

On 6/4/2019 at 4:21 AM, Sunitsa said:

Great report!

For the rules of 11: it is true for official ffg mat and american made ones as a whole, while European ones go for the rule of 10,5 since it's the conversion to the metric system (where you switch to 90x90 cm from 3x3 feet ) which loses that 0,5 range.

That's bonkers. Apologies for my country for not just switching over to the metric system decades ago like we should have.

Edited by theBitterFig

Might be a typo, but Drea's squadmates don't need to be in her arc to gain benefit of her ability, their target does.

•Drea Renthal

Other than that, great article. :)

10 hours ago, Dragon_King said:

Just saying, the better player lost in our 3rd game :( But I know for shure that in our next game it will turn out different!

Nah, you win most of our games.

8 hours ago, Sunitsa said:

Great report!

Thanks! I added that, I wasn't aware.

3 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Might be a typo, but Drea's squadmates don't need to be in her arc to gain benefit of her ability, their target does.

Yes of course, changed it (plus around 50 other typos...). But the point is the same: the rear arc is usually not as valuable as the side arc that points into the board.

16 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Looks like all the pictures are the same Turn 2.

thanks! Don't know how that happened, the individual links are still correct oO

(e: fixed now)

Edited by GreenDragoon

Ballsy putting such little health on the table

Would give me a heart attack every time I'd have to roll blank green dice!

3 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Ballsy putting such little health on the table

Would give me a heart attack every time I'd have to roll blank green dice!

Ha, I was just replying somewhere else that I'd really like shield upgrades on the Jedi. Also, Tucker is not worth it, a gold would have done exactly the same.

2 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Ha, I was just replying somewhere else that I'd really like shield upgrades on the Jedi. Also, Tucker is not worth it, a gold would have done exactly the same.

I think I see a solution to both problems.

5 minutes ago, millertime059 said:

I think I see a solution to both problems.

The points fit already Narrator: they didn't . I just want to give the SPCs some more time. But costing an action is... not ideal, so maybe time to switch that out.

Edited by GreenDragoon
15 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Yeah that's the issue with Torrents

When the prices become more reasonable we'll be able to appreciate the situational value of their abilities (swooping ARCs!)

Just now, ficklegreendice said:

Yeah that's the issue with Torrents

When the prices become more reasonable we'll be able to appreciate the situational value of their abilities (swooping ARCs!)

But that being said, my highest hitpoint list is 21 with 2 delta7b and an arc. The next is 5As at 20, then this here at 17 and finally hatchet aces at 15. Just more what I'm into I guess.

On 6/4/2019 at 1:21 AM, Sunitsa said:

Great report!

I hate to break it to you, but it's rule of 10.5 in America too. Rule of 11 just rolls off the tongue better.

Mats are 3'x3' or range 9x9 which puts ships accross from each other at Range 7. Each range is 2.5 bases so the ships start 17.5 base lengths apart. You only have to move 10.5 bases to secure range. Since their were no medium bases when the principal was developed during 1.0, they just called it the rule of 11. The extra .5 base allowed the rule to cover slightly being off on lateral placement (**** you Pythagoras!) or imprecise movement.

The range 3 rulers are 12" long btw. To check if the mat is American. See if you can fit 3 exactly accross.

Edited by Crimsonwarlock
4 hours ago, Crimsonwarlock said:

I hate to break it to you, but it's rule of 10.5 in America too. Rule of 11 just rolls off the tongue better.

Mats are 3'x3' or range 9x9 which puts ships accross from each other at Range 7. Each range is 2.5 bases so the ships start 17.5 base lengths apart. You only have to move 10.5 bases to secure range. Since their were no medium bases when the principal was developed during 1.0, they just called it the rule of 11. The extra .5 base allowed the rule to cover slightly being off on lateral placement (**** you Pythagoras!) or imprecise movement.

The range 3 rulers are 12" long btw. To check if the mat is American. See if you can fit 3 exactly accross.

That's interesting, I have only ever measured European mats and noticed it was 10.5. Since European mats are slightly smaller from the whole conversion thing, I assumed that if people from the internet were speaking about rule of 11 it was due measuring American ones.

I know jackshit of geometry, what happens to those few missing cm?

After long absence finally another post and introducing a new type, too: list spotlights!

I take a good look at my hyperspace qualifier list that I took to Paris. I head simmed it to be quite good. As a matter of fact: it is.

The Big XXX Deal

I told you before

nobody dares to click that link with such a titel.... this sounds like the latest release of adult movies 😅

Tried out that build with PA with Finn, it really does open up that dial considerably.

It also makes it so that over half the group is capable of keeping shooting mods after a turn around.

Edited by Octarine-08

Was a good read. Thank you

Don't you think that adding all those points paints too much of a crosshair on Finn's back?
I tried a few games with him very lean (just Heroic for 30 points) and he punches very much above his weight.

On the other hand, both Perceptive Copilot and PAnalyzer seem like great value on him, it's just... 12 points more. Congrats on the Qualifier run :)

5 minutes ago, Rojek said:

Don't you think that adding all those points paints too much of a crosshair on Finn's back?
I tried a few games with him very lean (just Heroic for 30 points) and he punches very much above his weight.

On the other hand, both Perceptive Copilot and PAnalyzer seem like great value on him, it's just... 12 points more. Congrats on the Qualifier run :)

Thanks!

Not really, he can tank a lot of damage. Even if I have to trade him, I usually trade him against more points. He died only in two games. What happens more is that he takes damage and then gets pursued, shrugging off all shots for the rest of the game.

The aggro he draws is maybe his best quality. Of course surpassed by the damage output if he's ignored ;)