Rules question about space combat and faction reputation

By marksolino, in Star Wars: Outer Rim

If you fight against a faction in space combat and win, it drops your reputation with them by one (e.g. from positive to neutral or from neutral to negative). But what happens if you fight a faction in space and you LOSE? I would think logically that your reputation with them would drop as well, since most people don't particularly enjoy getting shot at (regardless of whether they ultimately win or lose). Is that what happens?

On 4/17/2019 at 3:14 AM, marksolino said:

If you fight against a faction in space combat and win, it drops your reputation with them by one (e.g. from positive to neutral or from neutral to negative). But what happens if you fight a faction in space and you LOSE? I would think logically that your reputation with them would drop as well, since most people don't particularly enjoy getting shot at (regardless of whether they ultimately win or lose). Is that what happens?

I believe there is only 3 rep possibilities. + neutral and -. So if you encounter + or neutral faction you do not fight automatically, but if you do fight you lose rep by one. If you have negative, it’s automatic encounter with the faction. Win or lose has no bearing.

Above is incorrect.

Per rules, you only lose rep if you win. I won't argue what makes sense, but that is rules.