Rules added on the website

By ApocK2, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

who put these rules together?

One moment I'm reading about a battle map tile, then boons, then boulders and bushes and then suddenly, about cleave which tells me to look at a prior page in the rules.

example comes from page 9 to 10

Edited by Thaeggan
page references
11 minutes ago, Thaeggan said:

who put these rules together?

One moment I'm reading about a battle map tile, then boons, then boulders and bushes and then suddenly, about cleave which tells me to look at a prior page in the rules.

example comes from page 9 to 10

Rules Reference is sorted alphabetically, you are suppose to read the Learn to Play before your first game and only use the other as a reference while playing.

Just now, ApocK2 said:

Rules Reference is sorted alphabetically, you are suppose to read the Learn to Play before your first game and only use the other as a reference while playing.

Ah, okay. I did notice they were in alphabetical after a while, but still. How would I know to look at Enemy Banners instead of just, Banner(s). Seems very silly to me not to categorize, then alphabetize.

3 hours ago, Thaeggan said:

Ah, okay. I did notice they were in alphabetical after a while, but still. How would I know to look at Enemy Banners instead of just, Banner(s). Seems very silly to me not to categorize, then alphabetize.

Look for one, and if you don't see it then look for the other. Using the index in the back of the book, that is 😉 .

Use Index. That is all.

people act like I've never used a book that has an index before. This is still the worst I've ever seen.

Edited by Thaeggan
30 minutes ago, Thaeggan said:

people act like I've never used a book that has an index before. This is still the worst I've ever seen.

I won't say is amazing but looks like you haven't seen any of the other FFG manuals, they are always the same, not the best but you get use to them, nothing new to be honest.

Just now, ApocK2 said:

I won't say is amazing but looks like you haven't seen any of the other FFG manuals, they are always the same, not the best but you get use to them, nothing new to be honest.

its true, I am new to FFG other than the Lord of the Rings Living Card Game. Honestly would have thought someone making a rule book would make it navigatable without an index. The index should be to help, not the sole way to find something in a topic of inquiry. Some categories and chronology would go a long way and an index would still function.

1 hour ago, Thaeggan said:

Some categories and chronology would go a long way a   nd    an in  dex would still  functio  n  . 

Not that I disagree (I don’t), but the idea is that that’s what the Learn to Play guide is for. Truth be told, once the game is learned it’s great; but getting there can be rough.

@Thaeggan I totally get where you're frustration is borne from. And it's not without merit.

The short answer is really that the Rules Reference is really more like an encyclopaedia of all the rules. This is where you go when you have a specific instance occur.

To learn the rules you look at the Learn to Play guide. That will cover the broad strokes of how to start a game, what you can do and that's about it.

As others have said, this is pretty standard operating procedure for FFG. It certainly took me time to get used to it, but now I couldn't imagine it otherwise.

As you said, without much prior experience with FFG games this may take a little getting used to for you. But I have found its worth trying.

Best of luck with your games.