[IACP] No One Is Ever Truly Gone

By cnemmick, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Here's our official IACP response to the Star Wars Celebration news: http://ia-continuityproject.com/2019/04/16/no-one-is-ever-really-gone/

Personally I'm disappointed that FFG is not interested in supporting Skirmish with new material, but I'm also glad that we finally have an official response. The past several days, folks have been making up their minds if they're going to play other competitive games. If they do leave Skirmish behind, that's completely understandable and I hope they find other product that entertains them as much as Skirmish did.

But there's still a bunch of us who aren't quite ready to let go. If you want to join up with us, we're gonna have a much fun as we can enjoying Skirmish going forward. 

Bit of a bummer. I was hoping for at least one more expansion, but doesn't look like that's in the cards.

Oh well, we'll just have to fix things for ourselves

who wants to start the "Help design Yoda" thread? :)

8 hours ago, Jaric256 said:

who wants to start the "Help design Yoda" thread? :)

To be honest, that would scare me away from the whole "community" project. It is one thing to re-design some cards, make some errata, or - even - make some new cards for existing figures. But it is altogether another thing to make cards not represented by any figures in the boxes. I am sure I would never use it and never play with person who uses it.

2 hours ago, Jarema said:

To be honest, that would scare me away from the whole "community" project. It is one thing to re-design some cards, make some errata, or - even - make some new cards for existing figures. But it is altogether another thing to make cards not represented by any figures in the boxes. I am sure I would never use it and never play with person who uses it.

I think that is a bit of a hardliner stance, however, I agree that before such an endavour is ever considered, the IACP need to establish itself firmly through manipulating the current card/figure pool. There is plenty of stuff to work on. No need to invent new stuff just yet.

For me, If new figures are introduced, and they are powerfull enough to be included regularly in the armies, that is the line for me, that I will not cross. Of course it is only my opinion, but I think that there are others like me, therefore including new figures in the project would result in reducing potential player base. If/when IACP is running well, it could take that risk (and I will be then personally dissapointed, but I can understand that decision)

Conversely, for me, while I agree the IACP should surely have sought to establish itself first (a step they seem to have skipped), once that trust is established, I'd much rather see them introduce new units (e.g. Yoda) like FFG might have done if they'd carried on; than to arbitrarily re-jig a bunch of old units, but not others, to fit some nebulous vision, and try to remake a game that already exists and mostly works.

I suppose this shows the perils of anything by or for "the community" that doesn't come from FFG... different people have different expectations, which can sometimes be direct opposites as in this case. Can't please everybody. On that basis I suppose the IACP should just do whatever the heck they want, and people will either join in or not (I'm out; YMMV). Ce la vie.

Edited by Bitterman

I would most welcome new units... IF they use old figurines. Like, new kind of rebel-aligned troopers using Rebel Rangers (or echo base troopers).

I just would not like to have Yoda without his figurine. It is also why I do not like to play with tokens.

But of course opinion and tastes differ.

And of course IACP is not my project. I am deeply grateful that someone wants to do anything like that, and they should do as they please. That is only my opinion

Edited by Jarema

You guys are all wrong, this game needs Yoda. 😁

8 hours ago, Jarema said:

I am sure I would never use it and never play with person who uses it.

Maybe try it first? We (as a community) could really develop some cool new stuff! In fact, the ironic thing is, we could have MORE play testing and fixing than FFG ever did! If you are happy to use their SC card or seemingly not well tested Sabine or whatever (I like her, just trying to think of an example) why would you not want to try totally new cards that a whole community of players have tested? Just doesn't have the official FFG stamp I guess, which is a pretty big thing.

43 minutes ago, Jaric256 said:

You guys are all wrong, this game needs Yoda.

Yes! Do it. Don't try, just do it. My girls (and me) are pretty bummed that there will likely be no Ewoks. We gotta get them going too.

3 hours ago, Jarema said:

Of course it is only my opinion,

Fair enough. To each his own. I'm more excited about new stuff than cost reductions but I like it all (if it's done well).

Anyway, gonna test some of this stuff this weekend!

3 hours ago, Jaric256 said:

You guys are all wrong, this game needs Yoda. 😁

I think you mean skirmish players want Yoda. Yoda has no place in any of the campaigns. So I don't want him for campaign.

28 minutes ago, Rikalonius said:

I think you mean skirmish players want Yoda. Yoda has no place in any of the campaigns. So I don't want him for campaign.

Why no place in the campaign? I mean, you can bring pretty much every other known hero with you as an ally, why not Yoda?

6 minutes ago, Jaric256 said:

Why no place in the campaign? I mean, you can bring pretty much every other known hero with you as an ally, why not Yoda?

Most of the allies you end up being assigned in a mission are non-uniques, but there are some specific missions with Luke, or Leia, or Hand and Chewy. All of those people at least participated in Rebel operations, especially in the couple of years before Empire. Yoda lived on Dagobah from the end of the Clone Wars until he died. He was never part of the Rebel alliance. He didn't go on missions. There would be no need for the heroes to visit Dagobah. and before you say it. I wasn't for the inclusion of old Obi Wan either, but I've never seen him in a campaign mission, even when it was a random ally in the app, though I'm sure I will one day.

I'm not speaking as a member of IACP's Committee here, but as somebody who's been tinkering with fixing old figures and dabbling with creating new deployments for a long time:

Yoda is going to be the hardest deployment to create, because there's probably no way a design will please a majority of players. And it's going to be the very first question about Yoda's design that'll sunder the community: Which Yoda?

• Original Trilogy Yoda was a Zen master, not a fighter. Specifically urged Luke not to run off to Cloud City to save his friends. Does this mean this Yoda should center around a pacifist gameplay experience... in a game where combat is the primary way to win?
  • Prequel Yoda/Videogame Yoda is one of the Jedi's most powerful warriors with his command of Force abilities and Tasmanian Devil Lightsaber Combat. That design would fit into the game really well and cause a lot of Skirmish players to revolt since this is the "ruined by prequels" Yoda. (I'm offering no judgement on the validity of that argument, but it will be a very difficult hurdle to overcome.)
  • Clone Wars Cartoon Yoda tried to split the difference between the two Yodas above, with a more reasoned approach to Yoda's combat prowess. Which means it may be a compromise that everybody isn't thrilled about and won't go out of their way to try.
  • New Trilogy Yoda bopped Luke Skywalker on the head with his cane and called down lightning to "destroy" Jedi texts. So clearly one of his abilities should be "=> Page-turners They Were Not : Remove all Force User cards from your deck, then shuffle your deck. Then, for each Force User card removed, one Force User becomes Focused. Limit once per mission."

(That last one about New Trilogy Yoda is a joke.)

Personally, I want to get as many of the older deployments up to snuff before tackling new deployments. But if the Community needs some new deployments prioritized as part of the IACP release cycle, I don't see any harm in that. I do feel strongly Yoda is an awful place to start.

How about a nice AT-RT? Or Cad Bane? Or Shoretrooper?

Edited by cnemmick

My 2 cents on Yoda?

Force User Support. Non-Combatant.

Card draw, or maybe even tutor for a FU card.?

Focus to FU?

Passive boost to Force Users?

Look at Jabba and his many abilities. You can make a seriously strong, reasonably costed support unit.

I want to make him an attachment fix for HoTR Luke.

I like all three of those last ideas for Yoda, especially "page turners they are not" :) But yeah, Yoda would be a tough one and there is no rush for him. I think if it is new stuff that we want we could possibly use some of the Legion figures to go with whatever cards we design. That's why I like the AT-RT and Shoretrooper idea. I guess Jyn Erso and Krennic would be good choices too. The Legion figs are readily available (and it's the only way I would probably buy them) so they could work great with our community voted dep. cards.

AT-RT: Finally a non-small Rebel figure and the second vehicle I think! Also "heavy weapon".

Shoretroopers: I have no idea, but they look cool.

Jyn Erso: Also not really much idea, I guess cheap leader with a bonus "baton" free melee attack sort of like Zeb"s but weaker?? Trait wise I guess Spy, Leader?

Krennic: No idea and I don't personally like him but maybe someone could think of something cool.

Other ideas could work, such as a repurposed wookies from the Legion Wookie Warriors pack: One could be painted black to be Black Krrstan or whatever his name is. Mercenary wookie anyone? Maybe one could be Tarrful or Chewie's wife from the Christmas Special? (Kidding :) )

Repurpose some Rebel pathfinders?

What other ideas does anyone have for Legion figures?

11 hours ago, cnemmick said:

Yoda is going to be the hardest deployment to create, because there's probably no way a design will please a majority of players. And it's going to be the very first question about Yoda's design that'll sunder the community: Which Yoda?

What?

The reason people want Yoda in IA, and feel it's unfinished without him, is because he's one of the most iconic Star Wars characters - one of the most iconic movie characters, from any IP - of all time .

So just ask yourself: which of your versions of Yoda is the one that's most iconic? There you go. Problem solved. It's really not a very difficult conundrum. (His abilities might not be trivial, but his character is obvious).

Put out a version of Yoda as a Force-themed support character, and anyone who whines "waaaaah, I wanted somersaulting-lightsaber-Yoda" deserves a slap.

tenor.gif

Who's going to say that? Who's going to think that's the version of Yoda that needs to be in IA? No-one, surely. I mean I've been wrong before, but surely no-one would think that Yoda is the definitive Yoda.

Edited by Bitterman

I think for Skirmish, Yoda would be best served as an attachment to a force user and he'd be a force ghost. Force users within x spaces of attached character add 1 blue die to their attack pools or something like that. This eliminates the need for a mini too.

For campaign, it'd be hard to include Yoda without a mini for those that hate tokens, but he could easily be worked into a campaign with a bit of creativity.

In any case, sounds as though it'll have to be a diy project so really anything goes.

There's admittedly too many other lists and forums out there that are working on new units. >>; It's also a topic that can hard derail everything.

One thing to remember is that (if done correctly) the IACP can be used as a way for players new to the game to hop in, get quick errata, and get their own groups in on a balanced take of the game.

... and more new players means more money which means more expansions.

Likewise, if IACP does their job correctly and provide every unit with a use/function ... that means more expansions purchased as more are viable.

... which means more money which means more expansions.

Speaking of ... does IACP actually have and maintain a master sheet?

I'm new to this project and I'd like to download a single document where I can review ALL changes from default print to current standard. ... also, it's worth reviewing how easy it is to find this doc (it really should be front page accessible)

46 minutes ago, thinkbomb said:

There's admittedly too many other lists and forums out there that are working on new units. >>; It's also a topic that can hard derail everything.

One thing to remember is that (if done correctly) the IACP can be used as a way for players new to the game to hop in, get quick errata, and get their own groups in on a balanced take of the game.

... and more new players means more money which means more expansions.

Likewise, if IACP does their job correctly and provide every unit with a use/function ... that means more expansions purchased as more are viable.

... which means more money which means more expansions.

Speaking of ... does IACP actually have and maintain a master sheet?

I'm new to this project and I'd like to download a single document where I can review ALL changes from default print to current standard. ... also, it's worth reviewing how easy it is to find this doc (it really should be front page accessible)

https://ia-continuityproject.com/

Link to the PDF with the changes is on the front page. If you can't find it for some reason, let us know.

3 hours ago, cleardave said:

I saw it the other day. I laughed.

The OG IA designers are really gone though... 😓

On 4/17/2019 at 3:58 PM, Mandelore of the Rings said:

Maybe try it first?

The problem is, that I would LOVE new mechanics, cards, and other stuff. But I just do not want to play units that do not have proper figures.

Therefore, if - for example - Yoda is introduced to the game as a unit on its own rights, I would play him only if I can find a figure that represents him well (and is in scale and format apropriate to the IA).

This is why I would prefer new cards for all figure groups (e.g. new imperial spies represented by IGG figures, or another card for "Sorin, young aspiring officer"). That will bring novelty to the game, not requiring new figures.

On 4/18/2019 at 1:13 AM, cnemmick said:

And it's going to be the very first question about Yoda's design that'll sunder the community: Which Yoda?

• Original Trilogy Yoda was a Zen master, not a fighter. Specifically urged Luke not to run off to Cloud City to save his friends. Does this mean this Yoda should center around a pacifist gameplay experience... in a game where combat is the primary way to win?
  • Prequel Yoda/Videogame Yoda is one of the Jedi's most powerful warriors with his command of Force abilities and Tasmanian Devil Lightsaber Combat. That design would fit into the game really well and cause a lot of Skirmish players to revolt since this is the "ruined by prequels" Yoda. (I'm offering no judgement on the validity of that argument, but it will be a very difficult hurdle to overcome.)
  • Clone Wars Cartoon Yoda tried to split the difference between the two Yodas above, with a more reasoned approach to Yoda's combat prowess. Which means it may be a compromise that everybody isn't thrilled about and won't go out of their way to try.
  • New Trilogy Yoda bopped Luke Skywalker on the head with his cane and called down lightning to "destroy" Jedi texts. So clearly one of his abilities should be "=> Page-turners They Were Not : Remove all Force User cards from your deck, then shuffle your deck. Then, for each Force User card removed, one Force User becomes Focused. Limit once per mission."

Well, IF Yoda is designed, then two versions of him could be designed at the same time. "Clone Wars General Yoda" and "Venerable Jedi Master Yoda". Both with different stats, one as a force using warrior, on as a non-combatant. But both with the same unique command card (e.g. giving all force-users focus as an action during Yoda's activation)

Edited by Jarema