Can I use paid off to remove crime lord’s special

By Adavis052, in Star Wars: Destiny

If an opponent has paid off and spends two resources can they remove crime lord’s special ability dice? The ability says spend 5 resources to remove character. Does that mean you have the option to spend five resources to remove a character otherwise just resolve the dice to no affect, if the opponent didn’t not have five resources to remove a character.

I don't know about spends 2 resources to remove dice. I do know that you have spend 5 resources to CHOOSE character, then when you done at the end of the round, that character that you chose is dead, cannot play next rounds. The opponent can play this character before its dead at the end of round.

This Crime Lord doesn't say remove a character, its said CHOOSE a character.

If the opponent doesn't have enough resources, then it stay in the pool, unplayable. Must have 5 resources for the special.

Which card are you talking about to remove crime Lord special?

The card “Paid off” I read it as resolve the special, spend 5 resources to choose a character. So resolve dice, then you can spend 5 resources and if you do you can choose a character. If you do not spend five resources then you cannot choose a character but the dice is still resolved. So with “Paid Off” you could spend to resources and simply remove the “Crime Lord” dice.

Paid Off is that you give your 2 resources to the opponent to resolve one of their dice as if it were own. You chose Crime Lord then you need your 5 resources to resolve it. If you don't have enough resources on Crime Lord, then you can't resolve it or remove it. You can't remove Crime Lord just by on Paid Off card. Paid Off doesn't say anything about remove the die, just resolve, you have no choice but to choose another die other than Crime Lord (only if you have enough resources to resolve it). Same thing with Cunning card, still need 5 resources.

You can resolve it without paying the 5 resources it simply doesn't do anything.

47 minutes ago, DarkFallenAngel said:

You can resolve it without paying the 5 resources it simply doesn't do anything.

What do you mean you can resolve it without paying it? That's not how Paid Off works. It's resolve it by paying 5 resources as if it was your own die. You can't resolve like it was a blank die, can you? You can't just resolve like it was nothing to resolve and just simply remove a die. For example, Doubt, it said reroll a die, either resolve it or remove it. Paid Off doesn't say anything about remove it like it was nothing.

you can always resolve a die unless it is a modifier - then you do as much as you can of the ability if its a special.

In Destiny, you always do as much as you can do, anything that you cannot is bypassed or ignored. For Crime Lord, the cost of five resources is after the special is resolved. So, you can resolve the special, then without having the five resources to spend, nothing would occur and the die would be removed.

If, however, the resources were actually a cost on the die side itself, that would have to be paid in order to resolve.

6 hours ago, gokubb said:

So, you ca  n resolve the special, then without having the five resources to spend, nothing would occur and the die  would be remo  ved.

I think that's BS because this is like resolve the blank die no matter what. I don't see anything about remove a die in Paid Off, that's the problem

2 hours ago, hurricat5 said:

I think that's BS because this is like resolve the blank die no matter what. I don't see anything about remove a die in Paid Off, that's the problem

The removal is in the game rules. You remove a die when you resolve it. It would be like playing Paid Off on a 2 discard when your opponent had no cards in hand. You resolve the dice to no effect and remove it. You play Paid Off on a Force Throw dice when there are no other dice in the pool, you resolve as much as possible, then return the dice to the card. Since the Crime Lord effect stops when you can’t pay 5, you resolve it, stop the effect, then return the dice to the card.

It works both ways. As the owner of the Crime Lord, if you wanted to resolve the special (no matter what your resources are) you can. You then perform the text of the special. You may then pay the 5 resources. If you do, then you do Crime Lord. If not, your die is removed without anything going off, but you can do it. It's always good to prevent your opponent from doing some shenanigans if you don't have the resources, but rolled out the special and can't do anything else. Better safe than sorry.

But if opponent plays Paid Off, they can resolve the die. They then perform the special on it. The text says, pay 5 resources to do crime lord. If not, the die is still resolved, in this case nothing goes off. But the die is used, it is essentially "removed" but it really is resolved without any benefits.

~D