What About Only Playing to 8 Points?

By BlastyMcBlasterFace, in Twilight Imperium

Has anyone here ever tried playing to 8 points, or at least a number that is less than 10?

I'm playing my first game with some people on Thursday (5 of us) and we'll probably run out of time and won't make it to 10. It is a heck of a lot easier to finish in one setting than try and reboot a game that is 80% done.

Thanks.

Works fine, but in rare occasions, where the objectives line up perfectly for one player so rush them with imperial, it can actually end quickly. Though it would require an experienced player to do so.

Its a considerable difference. In a game with 8 points you can effectively use rush tactics, meaning you push the points and 8 points is achievable using that tactic, 10 points is not. If you you use a rush tactic in a normal 10 point game you are practically guaranteed to lose as those last 2 points will be a game in which its basically you versus everyone else, virtually impossible to win and that is from experience, have tried it myself several times.

The threshold is typically 6-7 points, once you reach that, everyone is trying to stop you and in TI if everyone is trying to stop you, they WILL succeed. Its physically not possible to fend of everyone.. **** you are good if you can hold back 1 player.