No plans for new physical product for Imperial Assault

By cnemmick, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

19 hours ago, a1bert said:

The cost of designing and testing two games instead of one is not nothing.

Ha! True but FFG pays game designers terribly so I’m not sure it matters. They could just get an intern to do it.

5 hours ago, TylerTT said:

Ha! True but FFG pays game designers terribly so I’m not sure it matters. They could just get an intern to do it.

The design itself is a fraction of the process, and even less in the wall-clock time. I'm sure Disney/LFL would have serious problems with a product if the process jumps over the rest of the steps.

Just because there “are currently no physical boxes in development” doesn’t really mean there won’t be plans started in a couple of months.

was the same at last worlds and still had lothal

2 hours ago, Soontirbeblownup said:

Just because there “are currently no physical boxes in development” doesn’t really mean there won’t be plans started in a couple of months.

was the same at last worlds and still had lothal

Lothal must’ve been in playtesting by that point. Product is in design and playtest for a year before we even hear about it...

10 hours ago, Soontirbeblownup said:

was the same at last worlds and still had lo  thal

But they were continuing to reprint existing IA products and core sets at the time. However reprinting stopped entirely at least six months ago. It's a product they don't sell directly and external retailers need customer interest to keep ordering. So it's reasonable to assume that they kept a fairly thin inventory (which we know didn't keep much of the range available in stock even when they were reprinting).

Plus (to beat a dead horse) this is a thread that is based entirely on a statement by FFG that they are not developing products now, which carries a heavy implication of no immediate plans, and if they did recommence development in the near future it would probably take 18 months or two years before it hit the shelves during much of the core products would have been unavailable outside the reseller market.

51 minutes ago, Zerker said:

But they were continuing to reprint existing IA products and core sets at the time. However reprinting stopped entirely at least six months ago. It's a product they don't sell directly

FFG doesn't sell Imperial Assault on their online store, but they do sell it in their game center store.

I don't know how you know about reprints stopping - you would need to know both about FFG's stock situation (so that you know there is no stock remaining of certain expansion) and about their plans for a reprint schedule of the same expansion. If there is stock, there is no need to produce more.

If the only source for reprints is the Upcoming page, I don't see it as a very reliable source. Do people remember seeing boxed expansions "Awaiting for reprint" in Upcoming? (When RtH came to the app, I don't remember seeing Return to Hoth listed in Upcoming. Maybe FFG produced more while there was still old stock.)

As long as the sales are steady, it makes sense to reprint rather than not. I think the app has a big role there.

Considering I’ve recently bought stuff from Amazon, I’d say it is still being reprinted. Amazon’s prices are better than individual sellers’, so Amazon’s stock is usually gone. I mean, Boba Fett is there for $10. That’s a pretty good indication of stock still being produced.

Edited by Master Wang
17 hours ago, a1bert said:

I don't know how you know about reprints stopping - you would need to know both about FFG's stock situation (so that you know there is no stock remaining of certain expansion) and about their plans for a reprint schedule of the same expansion. If there is stock, there is no need to produce  more.

If the only source for reprints is the Upcoming page, I don't see it as a very reliable source. Do people remember seeing boxed expansions "Awaiting for reprint" in Upcoming? (When RtH came to the app, I don't remember seeing Return to Hoth listed in Upcoming. Maybe FFG produced more while there was still old stock.)

I am only speculating about thin stock levels but tight stock management would be the sensible strategy because of their reliance on retailers to pull and shift stock in response to demand and the danger of them (FFG or retailers) being stuck with large quantities of stock in the pipeline if the demand dies. We do know that at various times large portions of the stock have been unavailable to retailers and, when this is worldwide, prices on the secondary market jump. This is exactly as you would expect when FFG's own stock levels are depleted. And none of these long term missing items have ever suddenly reappeared on the market without being visible in the upcoming queue, not even the boxed expansions (IIRC RToH was in the queue about two years back).

The upcoming queue may not always be fully up to date (at least once it looked there was a three month gap in updates) but in the long run it is a reliable indicator. And it goes without saying that given the costs and complexities of organising a distributed reprint; updating the queue (as they do weekly with every other product line) is a trivial way of reassuring the community that IA is still being actively supported. Can you seriously think of any reason why they wouldn't flag reprints?

A few weeks ago a lot of stock did arrive at online retailers and much of it seems to gone directly into discounted sales and there is now a fair amount of stock on the market. But this is not inconsistent with FFG pushing to clear stock and some of the items (such as Leia) are still marked as unavailable to order by retailers.

The app is still being developed. currently not all physical product is supported.

It looked like they were going to produce a digital campaign for each expansion and perhaps they still are.

maybe they are pushing physical product development until all the current stuff is supported by the app.

13 hours ago, TylerTT said:

The app is still being developed. currently not all physical product is supported.

It looked like they were going to produce a digital campaign for each expansion and perhaps they still are.

maybe they are pushing physical product development until all the current stuff is supported by the app.

To be totally honest, this is what I’m hoping. I’m just not totally optimistic. I’d be glad to see an HotE campaign and maybe one more that is a mashup of all of the mini-campaigns.

Edited by Uninvited Guest

Zuccuss, 4Lom, Yoda and Ewoks and that would be closure for me.

Then just lots n lots of app content. But if I had to chose between the above minis or app content, I would chose app content so in that I am happy FFG are continuing digital stuffs

Still refusing to buy into the dark side....... Legion.

For legion I’m only buying Rebels as those subjects are not covered in mass by imperial assault.

I May buy into the empire when they redo storm troopers in hard plastic.

Imperial assault still has a bunch of models that legion will likely never have.

They should rerelease the game as STAR WARS SKIRMISH with map inserts printed on poster paper with new cards and stats. Change the color of the dice if you have to, in order to get out from under the thumb of Hasbro. I'm sure they won't because they don't have the resources to work on but 1-2 games at a time it seems.

On 4/30/2019 at 4:01 PM, alexbobspoons said:

Zuccuss, 4Lom, Yoda and Ewoks and that would be closure for me.

Then just lots n lots of app content. But if I had to chose between the above minis or app content, I would chose app content so in that I am happy FFG are continuing digital stuffs

This is really all that I want as well.

I really want Krennic and Cassian from Rogue One. We already have Deathtroopers, so having them pair with Krennic would be sweet. Also I would love some beach tiles for the variety. I guess what I am saying is I’m needy. :)