Hydra Bladle question

By pruano, in Warhammer Invasion Rules Questions

I have a question on Hydra Blade from "The WarpStone Chronicles" BP:

Card Text:

Hydra Blade (Unique, Attachment,Relic) - 2+1DE

"Attach to a target DE unit. Curropt that unit. Attached unit gets 2H.

If attached unit would be destroyed, you may pay 2 resources to (instead of destroying it) leave it in play and remove all Damage from it."

---

Does Hydra Blade remains in play if i pay the two resources?

Yes. since your unit is not actually destroyed, all attachments remain on the unit.

My question is: If your unit's hp goes to 0, can the hydra blade counter that effect by paying the 2 and restore it to full health? My hunch is no, the unit is destroyed (but I would like someone else's opinion).

Note that if you pay the 2, you remove damage from it. You don't change its HP. So yeah, if its HP go to 0 then it's going to get destroyed. Paying the 2 is a legal play, but a really dumb one since it accomplishes nothing.

Just to further clarify, if the unit's HP is reduced to 0 then the attachment while capable of being triggered has no effect, but if the unit's HP are reduced to a number that equals or is less than the number of damage tokens and that is why the unit would be destroyed you could trigger the blade remove the damage and if the reduction in HP would no longer be enough to destroy the unit, it stays in play. I think everyone here knows this since it wasn't part of the original question but I did want to include it for newer players that may run across it.

However id is said "pay 2 rsc to not destroy, it and leave it play", and in rules - that we uphold rules until card states otherwise.

Assuming it is a possibility to not destroy with 0 hp.

Yeah, it doesn't leave play, but checks again for HP and if it is 0, is killed death again.

I still think the wording on this card confuses me. I need some clarification.

So if I attach Hydra blade to an unit with 3 HP, and it has already received 2 damages.

Then my opponent has his units attack this unit, adding another damage to it

--> It would be destroyed, triggering the condition

--> I pay 2 resources --> my unit gets to stay with no damage on it now. Is this correct?

Or...

Can my opponent expects that I will trigger this constant effect, so he decides to place 3 damages on my unit instead of 1?

--> The unit would be destroyed, triggering the condition

--> the initial 2 damages are removed

--> the 3 damages during this combat is applied

--> the unit with Hydra blade is destroyed.

Is the second scenario possible?

Is there any way to defeat an unit with hydra blade equipped in combat?

Please, I need some answer.

Your first scenario is correct. In the second, you could still use the Hydra Blade's effect to get rid of all the damage. The 3 damage are applied and placed on the unit at the same time.

(Note though that your opponent can never attack your unit. He can attack a zone or a legend and you can choose to have the unit defend, or he can defend if you attack with the unit, but he cannot aim an attack at the unit or force it to participate in combat unless a card effect specifically accomplishes that.)

If you want to destroy a unit with Hydra Blade attached in combat and can't make it so your opponent doesn't have the 2 resources, you have to destroy the Hydra Blade first.