Expansions announced amid mixed reviews. Well played FFG...Well played.

By TheWiseGuy, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

really great video. you got all of the points nicely. I will defiantly be picking these two up. i'm exited to see how the future of this game will turn out.

Edited by woodland_elf_504

Mixed reviews? I was under the impression that most of the reviews were very positive.

Yes, most reviews Are positive and some reviews Are mixed.

If you view this as 3 miniatures with some card based content plus 11 adventures for $20 it is an amazing expansion for the price. The key is how the app cuts production costs for most of the game content. FFGs expansion support appears to be great, hopefully the game will be as well.

I'm looking forward to future expansions that will include more terrain/puzzle pieces. Even though I'm sure that would up the cost. Seems like there is a lot of opportunity for expansion with the terrain, and for exploring different areas of middle earth.

4.99 for an additional campaign is great value.

I’m not so sure about the physical expansion. Just 6 new items and some mini-bosses that might show up during the campaign? For $10+? What’s stopping me from claiming I own it in my collection and just proxying the cards?

I’d be much more interested in an expansion with new characters or new class/role (whatever they are called) decks.

1 hour ago, Faranim said:

I’m not so sure about the physical expansion. Just 6 new items and some mini-bosses that might show up during the campaign? For $10+? What’s stopping me from claiming I own it in my collection and just proxying the cards?

I’d be much more interested in an expansion with new characters or new class/role (whatever they are called) decks.

Yeah, I kinda agree about the physical expansion. I'm not sure how the cards work but it seems like the trinkets and titles have to be earned in-game, so they might not even come into play at all. That is disappointing.

The cards look cool though, but I also worry if it becomes part a power creep. What if the scenarios get so hard that you're almost forced to buy these little expansions? I don't think that'll be the case, but it's definitely a concern.

4 hours ago, Faranim said:

Yah honestly I would probably end up proxying it haha. Though maybe you need a code or something to log it in the app?

5 hours ago, Vince79 said:

I'm looking forward to future expansions that will include more terrain/puzzle pieces. Even though I'm sure that would up the cost. Seems like there is a lot of opportunity for expansion with the terrain, and for exploring different areas of middle earth.

I think terrain would be a super cool idea. Make the battle maps a bit more flushed out. They come out with terrain for legion so they are capable.

On 4/12/2019 at 3:32 PM, woodland_elf_504 said:

really great video. you got all of the points nicely. I will defiantly be picking these two up. i'm exited to see how the future of this game will turn out.

Thank you kindly!

This announcement made me fall off my chair

9 hours ago, TheWiseGuy said:

Though   maybe you need a code or something to log it in the app?  

Imperial Assault didn’t require anything like that for its app, and from what I understand neither did MoM or Descent. I’d be surprised if this one did.

2 hours ago, Uninvited Guest said:

Imperial Assault didn’t require anything like that for its app, and from what I understand neither did MoM or Descent. I’d be surprised if this one did.

Ah good to know!

My advice: people should try the game before spending money on 3D terrain. GW's Black Stone Fortress appears to have some similarities to LotR Journeys in terms of map configuration. BSF showed us that using objects that obstruct the view of the game board surface (depending where you sit) is problematic at best. Fluff should not negatively impact the mechanics of playing the game so I would play test with found objects to see if it is functional before spending money on a bunch of terrain.

Edited by Tokhuah
structural

Is there any way to link the expansions in different formats?

E.g. I have M.o.M and have the app on my phone and steam. If I did this with JiME would I need to buy 2 copies?

16 hours ago, Niro750 said:

E.g. I have M.o.M and have the app on my phone and steam. If I did this with JiME would I need to buy 2 copies?

From what I can say, so far there doesn’t seem to be any syncing between Steam and iOS (even between different iOS devices using the same Apple account). So looks like multiple purchases for different platforms.

However, Steam does sync within the same account between different PC’s and Macs.

22 hours ago, Niro750 said:

If you’re asking about digital content then, as @MeeKey described, you will likely need to by it for each platform.

Physical content like the figure pack shouldn’t be a problem though.

Edited by Uninvited Guest