First Time Using Saturation Salvo

By pickirk01, in X-Wing Battle Reports

I like to fly a little of everything but had yet to try Jonus brothers bombers so the other day I decided to give it a shot.

As I was building the squad I read Saturation Salvo (SS) in detail for the first time and thought it really had some potential so instead of more expensive ordnance or bombs added that to them. I flew:

• Jonus with SS, Ion Torps
  • Rymer with SS,Cluster Missiles
  • Gamma Vet with SS, Proton Torps
  • 2 X Academy Ties

I faced a buddy in my league who is deadly with Defenders and he brought 2 beefed up I4 generics.

He took initiative because he knows how much I like to block and was really worried about getting caught in too many of my arcs at once, especially being in position for Rymer to hit both ships with the clusters and not getting his evade plus action each turn.

He flew pretty well, for the most part. He would get the free evade and then boost or roll away from my kill boxes but in almost each round I would get one ordnance shot off.

With Jonus and SS, I was getting two rerolls and was averaging 2.5 hits per shot while SS was good for canceling an average of 1 evade per turn and forcing a lot of spent tokens. Then the /lns would plink in another damage per turn against the tokenless D's.

It almost worked out better for me that I never really set up a big alpha shot because I was able to keep switching up having one bomber run and reload while the other two would harass his ships. And my Academies also split duties, one setting up a block if he tried to pursue the reloading bomber while the other stayed near the attacking ones so it could block for the reloader the next round.

With 5 ships vs 2 the Defenders were really in a tough spot where if they tried to concentrate fire they would almost certainly run into a tie and be tokenless against 2-3 big moded shots at them.

I killed one Defender and got the other to 1 hull and he got half points on 2 bombers so it was about a 150-50 victory.

My take away is that Saturation Salvo is really good for getting damage through. Even with cheaper 3 dice missiles you can put a lot of hurt on even highly defensive ships.

Anyone else have any Salvo stories?

Sounds like a fun list, and you flew it well to! I don't have much to add but I think people should use this upgrade more

On 4/12/2019 at 6:29 PM, pickirk01 said:

SS was good for canceling an average of 1 evade per turn

Were you spending a charge to use Sat Salvo's effect? As the torpedoes have only 2 charges would your ship not get to use it only once?

58 minutes ago, Rossetti1828 said:

Were you spending a charge to use Sat Salvo's effect? As the torpedoes have only 2 charges would your ship not get to use it only once?

Yes but SatSalvo can only be equipped by ships that can reload. I would fire then disengage to reload then come back around for another shot.

What upgrade slot does saturation salvo take? Unless i am not seeing it on the 2.0 squad builder im looking at they dont get it. I do see where bombers get reload automatically. Not trying to be difficult here but just honestly asking. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Flyingbrick said:

What upgrade slot does saturation salvo take? Unless i am not seeing it on the 2.0 squad builder im looking at they dont get it. I do see where bombers get reload automatically. Not trying to be difficult here but just honestly asking. Thanks.

Talent, requires the Reload action on the ship it is equipped to. It also is not in the Hyperspace Format.

Edited by Hiemfire

Thanks, i figured it had to be something i was overlooking.

Just now, Flyingbrick said:

Thanks, i figured it had to be something i was overlooking.

I just edited, but to restate, Extended only as well.

Yeah was about to mention that. I forgot to change the tab off from hyperspace. Hate this getting old stuff lol.