Variant- The Dragon Fall (Robert's Rebellion)

By King_Balrog, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

Here is an up to 9 player , land domination , team based , campaign-style, variant .

“I looked for you on the Trident,” Ned said to them. “We were not there,” Ser Gerold answered. “Woe to the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell. “When King's Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.” “Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells.” “I came down on Storm's End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.” “Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne. “Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.” “Ser Willem is a good man and true,” said Ser Oswell. “But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.” “Then or now,” said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm. “We swore a vow,” explained old Ser Gerold. Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three. “And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light. “No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”

The continent of Westeros is in crisis due to the atrocities of the "Mad" King Aerys Targaryen and the offences of his well meaning and well loved son, Rhaegar. Half of the country has risen up in open rebellion against Targaryen rule and plan to remove the "Mad" King from power by force. Robert Baratheon leads this charge, along side Jon Arryn, Ned Stark, and their armies, to defeat the Targaryen dynasty and obtain justice for those who have been lost.

Many of your favorite Ice and Fire characters took part in this war and I very much enjoy the story behind the battles. (even more than the events of the current books)

Here is some light reading explaining the events and characters in more detail if you are interested (SPOILER WARNING): http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Robert%27s_Rebellion

SYNOPSIS

Here is a new variant of Robert's Rebellion I have created with all new House Cards and a modified map of Westeros to play on. I have added a few bodies of water around Pyke and Dragonstone, added more rivers, and a few additional changes to the terrain (such as moving Sunspears's port to the sea of Dorne.

Here is a link to research the House Card characters if you may not know them: https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Robert%27s_Rebellion
Feel free to ask me if you are interested in this setting as I'm happy to explain what I know.

THE RULES

1)A team wins the game by capturing control points on the map (The battlegrounds of the Rebellion in the books- Orange Borders on the Westeros Map) and maintaining control of these territories until the end of ten turns, or by crushing the enemy team in total decimation . Each captured Orange territory counts as 1 Victory point, but, may be lost at anytime if an opposing army takes over the Orange territory.

2) You may also gain victory points by destroying an enemy house of the opposing team ( gaining two victory points. Should you defeat a team Captain in total decimation (Baratheon or Targaryen), the opposing army would gain 3 victory points instead.

3)Tally the final scores and the regime with the highest point value wins the war.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
REGIMES

Teams : The Targaryen, Tyrell, and Martell are embroiled in a war with the Baratheon, Stark, and Arryn armies.

Lannister, Tully, and Greyjoy are wild cards armies who may freely aid or hinder any House they wish (switching allegiance on the fly), yet by turn 8, these neutral Houses must openly commit themselves to one side or another- The Loyalist or the Rebels- until the end of the game . A neutral House may not win the game, they may only contribute to a team victory. Neutral forces may attack, or be attacked, by either regime (loyalist/rebellion) if they wish, though neutral forces offer no point bonuses -if conquered- until after they commit to a regime. Loyalist/Rebellion forces may not travel through a neutral army's territory without engaging them in battle. These forces must commit to a regime or be considered a hostile force on the board.

Each Neutral Army (Lannister, Greyjoy, and Tully) gains a Power Token bonus depending on the order they choose to enlist in either the Rebellion or the Loyalist regimes .

[+5 Power Tokens for the first neutral army to declare for either team before turn 8 ]

[+4 Power Tokens for being the first neutral army to join the opposing team ] (if another neutral force has already committed to serving an opposing team) before or during turn 8 .

[+3 Power Tokens to the first neutral army to declare for a team during turn 8 ]

[+2 Power Token for all other situations]

BATTLES IN A TERRITORY

1) Allies in your regime may freely travel through your territories, but may only aid in combat via support orders . (A support order must be placed in a territory shared by multiple allies to add their combat strength to a battle)

2)If you choose to attack an enemy controlled territory you may only battle one army within its borders at a time. If you win the battle: you push back all enemy armies out of a territory and claim it for yourself. (the army you battled becomes routed, all other armies who remain in the territory must retreat --> without routing- to the nearest allied territory unless they contributed to the skirmish via support order; in this case, the supporting army becomes routed also.)

CONTROL OF A TERRITORY

1) Control of a territory is decided by which units occupy the territory and which team the represent. (Example: If both house Arryn and Baratheon are in a territory with a castle, they may negotiate who claims the land.) Control may be exchanged at any time during your or an allies turn based upon the needs of the Team.

2) The holder of a territory containing multiple allied armies must place a Power Token to stake a claim and represent the main occupying force in this region.

4)If control transfers to another allied house: you may reclaim your Power Token and your ally places one of their Power Tokens down on the tile. If your allies vacate a territory, yet, your army still remains in a region, you may reclaim your placed power token.

5)If embattled with an opposing army: you lose your placed Power Token if your territory is conquered by the opponent.

MISCELANIOUS RULES

Tides of battle cards may take effect in each battle (once per each faction) at the cost of 1 Power Token.

Support Orders are changed a little as well : If the combined strength of a supporting army (and your current forces in a territory) is not strong enough to defeat your opponent- all allied units (including the supporting army) who participated in the battle are routed.

House Cards : After a House Card has been used you may choose to spend 3 power tokens to reclaim one house card at random, at any time, from the discard area. You may not reclaim dead heroes that participated in a Campaign battle from the Story Deck. Heroes must be repurchased from the discard pile to be used again. You do not redraw all discarded heroes after the last card in your hand is discarded.

(this compiled image above is from the two links below)

Here is the original House Tully Screen if you prefer it's art: https://rpggeek.com/thread/1750147/house-tully-screen

Here is a link to many great House Screens, tokens, and etc: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2nclqv96kgpqo2m/gPcNFzB-m5

(I recommend printing anything you need from these links above^)

STARTING MAP POSITIONS/SUPPLY

Here are the positions of each army and their staring supply:

Baratheon : 1 Knight at Storm's End, 2 Footman at Bitterbridge, 1 ship in Shipbreaker Bay. (Starting Supply: 1)

Targaryen : 1 Knight in King's Landing, 1 Footman at Dragonstone, 1 Footman at Crackclaw Point, 1 Ship in Blackwater Bay.(Starting Supply: 1)

Arryn : 1 Knight at The Eyrie, 1 Footman at The Bloody Gate, 1 Footman at The Vale of Arryn, 1 ship in The Bay of Crabs. (Starting Supply: 2)

Martell : 1 Footman at Sunspear, 1 Knight at The Boneway, 1 Footman at the Salt Shore, 1 Ship in the Sea of Dorne. (Starting Supply: 2)

Stark : 1 Footman and 1 Knight at Moat Cailin, 1 footman at Winterfell, 1 Ship in the Bite. (Starting Supply: 1)

Tyrell : 1 Siege Engine at Highgarden, 1 Footman at Goldengrove, 1 Footman at Horn Hill, 1 Footman at Oldtown. (Starting Supply: 2)

Tully : 1 Knight at Riverrun, 1 Footman at Raventree Hall, 1 Footman at Seaguard, 1 Ship in The Fisherman's Wharf. (Starting Supply: 2)

Lannister : 1 Footman at Casterly Rock, 1 Footman at The Crag, 1 Footman at Hornvale, 1 Footman at Crakehall. (Starting Supply: 3)

Greyjoy : 1 Ship in The Sunset Sea, 1 Ship in Blazewater Bay, 1 Ship in Drowned Man's Harbor, 1 Footman at Greywater Watch. (Starting Supply: 2)

WESTEROS and STORY DECKS

Here is the Westeros Deck : One of these cards occurs randomly each turn (Raven cards)
There are 4 permanent cards as well occurring every few turns (Targaryan and the Compass cards)

Here is the new Story focused Westeros Deck :

It is meant to work in conjunction with the Raven Deck and will only occur when a territory in question is embattled. The each time a battle occurs between loyalist and rebel forces in a territory containing a card from the Story Deck; the card's effect activates. The effects of these events may occur up to twice, once per Team . (unless noted otherwise on the card)

This variant forces many houses to lose their House Cards (warriors who died in the battles) upon defeat and drastically changes the way the game unfolds.

Story House Cards:

Underscored Hero Card : Gained via Story Mission. Striken Through Hero Card : Kill-able Hero.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

House Arryn - [1]Lyn Corbray , [2]Denys Arryn.

House Baratheon - [0]Davos the Smuggler , [1]Lord Cafferen , [2]Lord Grandison , [3]Silveraxe Fell , [4]Robert Baratheon .

House Greyjoy - no recruit-able or kill-able heroes.

House Lannister - no recruit-able or kill-able heroes.

House Martell - [1]Oswell Whent , [2]Lewyn Martell, [2]Gerold Hightower , [3]Arthur Dayne.

House Stark - [1]Mark Ryswell , [1]Martyn Cassel , [2]Theo Wull , [2]William Dustin.

House Targaryen - [0]King Aerys Targaryen , [1]Jonothor Darry, [2]Barristan Selmy, [3]Jon Connington , [4]Rhaegar Targaryen .

House Tully - no recruit-able or kill-able heroes.

House Tyrell - [2]Quentin Tyrell.

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Edited by King_Balrog

I love the idea of transforming the boardgame into a team VS team style game! I also like that you involve more houses into all this.

A few concerns i have about it all though:

Some of the housecards have their text abilities formulated a bit weirdly. Some are a bit unclear (specifically those that concern routing and retreating), and the Martel card "Prince Lewyn Martel" is just a lot of text thaat no matter what means +1 combat strength to Martel in that combat. Other spesific cards i think needs so attention in regards to words used in text abilities are:

Tarly: Lord Mace Tyrell (A lot of text, and a bit spesific. can the first part be shortened? can the second part be simplified/shortened?)
Tully: Ser Desmond grell (Can be shortened without loosing comprehension), Brynden Tully (Does this only apply to this specific combat? Can it be both support and retreat if you still lose? Does "along and across rivers" mean you can retreat from greywater Watch to Craclaw Point?), Edmure Tully (This specific combat?),
Stark: Eddard Stark ("When fighting against a dornish controlled territory: gain +1 combat strength." <- is oddly spesific. Is it ecessary for balance?)
Arryn: Petyr Baellish (Shorten text by writing for example "You may either _____ OR _____ )
Baratheon: Stannis Baratheon (Text can be shortened drastically. Just the text in the paranthesis is almost enough on it's own.), Davos Seaworth (Isn't this basically how Support orders normally function? "The first group of ships to that support in this way provide +1 combat strength for the battle" <-is a bit long and oddly spesific. Can it be simplified? Why not apply this to all the ships that support this round?)

There are also a good couple of cards that could benefit from variations of "gains an additional _____" to avoid confusion and sometimes shorten the text. I know that most of this feedback is centred around simplifying the rules/phrasing of the rules and that some of my comments on these house cards may seem to contradict that, but i believe that with the proper phrasing both can be accomplished :)

It also looks to me that it will be incredibly complex with a great deal of specific rules being added to the already existing complex rulebook. By all means i love your ideas on all this (espescially some of the card abilities), but all of it looks like a bit too much. I like that you chose to divide up a few of the sea-areas some more. Because of the added houses more space is definitely needed to give room to them all. However i think there might be a bit too many small areas around Pyke (Not that big of a deal, just worth reconsidering).

One thing that i think could help a lot is if you're able to simplify some of the rules and interactions a bit and shorten some of the texts. It may just be that this was a bit overwhelming to me after reading over all of it in one go, just once, but i'll stand by it.

That's pretty much all i can think of. I hope it was helpfull and if not it's just my personal opinion on the matter. Keep it up, Man!

@Braegor Fafnor

Thanks for all the feedback! I will take all of what you said into consideration.

Many of the House card descriptions are flavor text, due to the events of the book:

Examples:

Stark had a vendetta against Dorne for kidnapping his sister.

Tyrell spent the whole war seiging Storms End.

Baratheon started weak but gained strength over time.

Targaryen started strong but became weaker over the course of the war due to the mad king's poor decisions.

Greyjoy remained neutral except for one battle.

Lannisters remained neutral until the very last second.

As for the rule changes, they are minimal. You will follow the default ruleset for 90% of the game.

1) All units supporting or embattled in combat are routed if they are defeated.

2) House cards must be repurchased from the discard pile for 3 power tokens at any time. Otherwise they dont return to your hand.

3)Allied armies may share territory but may only contribute to a battle if a support order token is placed in the space they reside in.

4)If the results of a story deck card cause the death of a hero, that House card is removed from the game.

I appreciate you taking the time to read over my Variant!

Edited by King_Balrog

FAQ's

Prince Lewyn Martel :

the triggers for his buff are different. Entirely based on the presence (or lack) of support orders affecting the embattled area.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brynden Tully:

Does this only apply to this specific combat? Yes only combat involving Brynden himself.

Can it be both support and retreat if you still lose? All adjacent allied Tully areas (separated by rivers) may choose to use their support orders to aid Brynden in combat. (this is normally impossible as rivers are considered impassible terrain) If he loses the fight, he may then retreat into an adjacent area separated by a river.

Does "along and across rivers" mean you can retreat from greywater Watch to Craclaw Point?) Along and Across = In any direction where a river and land touch. Crakclaw point is not an adjacent territory to Greywater watch on my map. If combat was conducted in the trident, then in this specific case, Crakclaw point could be moved into by Brynden (should it be owned by Tully forces)

Easier way to think about it : Rivers dont exist when a Tully player use Brynden. Only for that specific battle.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edmure Tully:

(This specific combat? ) -yes

Eddard Stark:

("When fighting against a dornish controlled territory: gain +1 combat strength." F lavor text and unlikely to occur often in a game. Represents good old Ned's motivation to rescue his sister from Dornish clutches.

Davos Seaworth :

(Isn't this basically how Support orders normally function? Ships can not normally be used to support land based battles. In this case they can and the first ship to do so gains +1 combat strength.

However I think there might be a bit too many small areas around Pyke (Not that big of a deal, just worth reconsidering).

On purpose due to all of the hostile forces fighting over that portion of the map. The land is highly contested there in canon.

Edited by King_Balrog