Legend of the Five Rings Play by Post

By tubatimb2, in Your Stories

As the boar's squeals die off, Yoshi stops his circling. He take one obvious moment of putting his On back on. Then upon hearing Hekasu's words he grunts acknowledgement. Putting arrow to bowstring he scans the forest from where the beast originated. Controlling his breathing, in and out consistently on a three count, Yoshi grows still like the woods. Only he eyes move.

::Water(2)Survival(1)Assist(1): I roll two explosions with strife, an option, and a blank. I keep the explosions and option. The explosions give men another success and a blank. I'm in water stance so I use the option to remove 2 strife. I finish with a total of 3 successes.::

The trail of bloodied and broken twigs and saplings is not hard to follow, but continues to the west for some distance. Yoshi is careful not to move too far from the road lest he lose sight of his companions or outpace the wounded Hekasu. The two samurai pick their way carefully along the trail for several minutes before Yoshi gestures for the pair to stop in the lee of a massive, ancient willow tree. The trail of the boar changes between one side of the small dell from a panicked charge to a gentle, meandering saunter, with some of the leaves and fungi of the deep woods nearby casually chewed on. Hekasu moves to search one side, whilst Yoshi searches the other. It takes a few moments before Hekasu beckons the tall ronin over; the boar, in the first few moments of its charge - or, as Yoshi suspects, flight - the boar had darted under an arch formed by one of the largest roots of the tree branching away from the main trunk.

Snapped off on the ground, where it had broken against the bole of the willow's root, is the rear part of a long grey-feathered arrow-shaft.

Yoshi searches the vicinity, but either the shot had been made at very long range or by a huntsman more gifted than most at leaving no tracks. With the tracks of the boar going back and forth, and the earth churned up when it panicked, it's tough to say which direction the boar was facing when its mad flight began, but if forced to make a guess, Yoshi thinks the archer would have been somewhere to the southwest.

That's fair enough. A second pair of eyes when searching is an obvious enough form of assistance that it doesn't really need justifying...

TN2 Scrutinise(Air)/Martial Arts (Ranged) will let you assess the arrow

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Kenshin looks around the clearing once again, trying to see if there are any more dangers to the party, animal or not.

shall i make a check?

"Hekasu-san. I think this is as far as I can easily follow. If we return to the horses and leave now... On the road I think we would outpace anyone traveling on foot through the undergrowth. If they were bandits and wished us harm. And not just some poacher who just wishes to disappear back into the forest. I think our first duty here is to get the horses to the Ide merchant. Do you agree with my logic?"

" Hmmm. " Softly, Yoshi continues, " About that arrow... "

::Air3/Ranged1. Roll Two successes, a blank and an option. Keep the 2 success and the option ... if this counts as a scholar check then I use the option to learn something about the creator as per 329. If not then I'm subtle about how I check out the arrow, in case the archer is still around hidden and watching::

Giving a last look around, Yoshi and Hekasu turn and start to head back to their comrades as the tall ronin pensively runs a thumb up and down the broken arrow-shaft.

Kenshin - not really; Yoshi and Hekasu have checked out the area. If you want to look over the carcass, you and Aruzhan can make a check for that as mentioned above

Yoshi - the arrow is straight, true and smooth - well made and not something you'd expect a hiemin poacher to be using with a home-made hunting bow. It's no artistic masterwork, and has none of the artistic flourishes you'd expect on something artisan-made for a lord but it's at least as good in quality as anything in your own quiver and wouldn't look out of place in a mass-produced bundle in an ashigaru armoury. The shaft is thick - not far short of the width of your little finger.

1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 : You think the fletcher who made this might be a northerner. The white wood feels more like pine, and the fletching is recognisably goose-feathers but is the wrong colour. You recall hearing that geese get darker further north and some might be this near-black charcoal grey colour, rather than the light, sandy grey or soft brown you're used to. Hekasu is from a village in the far north, and might be able to confirm your suspicions - maybe even be more specific?

Edited by Magnus Grendel

As we get back to the mounts Yoshi is quick to hop up and get ready to move.

"Strange. The arrow that shot the boar is professionally made. And look how thick it is. Maybe it didn't come from a yumi style bow. Aruzhan, do you think this might have come from a horse bow?"

Yoshi holds the arrow up so everyone can see it.

"I don't think its from the quiver of some peasant who moonlights as a poacher. That might be bad news if we've run into the remnants of the ronin who ...used to use the ponies were riding. But the feathers are weird. I am confident its goose, but they don't have feathers this dark around here. Anyone know of anywhere with dark feathered geese? I think the Jawcracker was more or less local..."

"...and I think we should get moving."

"Yes, we should head back." Hekasu follows closely, trying to stay alert to whatever may have been hunting the boar.

As they return to their mounts, he takes a chance to inspect the arrow.

Air 3/Martial Arts [Ranged] 1:

792424631_SuccessSmall.png.f580b7641c8c8 , 792424631_SuccessSmall.png.f580b7641c8c8 , 1211841275_OpportunitySmall.png.acf41343 1518491343_StrifeSmall.png.6434e11e967f0 , 1521230551_ExplosiveSuccessSmall.png.2cc 1518491343_StrifeSmall.png.6434e11e967f0 (b). Keeping the two successes and the explosion (assuming bonus successes = more I know; otherwise I'll do the opp like Yoshi did. I just figured having the same result as him would only get me the same info).

Resolve explosion: 792424631_SuccessSmall.png.f580b7641c8c8 . Kept.

Resolve Strife: 5/8.

Resolve success: 4 v TN2.

As he scrambles back onto his mount, still looking at the broken shaft, Hekasu's brow furrows slightly. He takes a moment to try and pin down the source of his confusion.

Inspecting the back half of a broken arrow won't get you much more information than Yoshi already has, but that many bonus successes is worth something.

The broken end of the shaft and a couple of fingers-width above is spattered with blood - which is fine - the arrow was embedded in the boar - but this part of it must have been protruding because it hit a tree root and broke off .

That must mean enough blood was lost from the wound to stain it in the first few seconds at a high enough pressure to spray , not just bleed .

It's a testament to the resilience of the beast that it stayed on its feet as long as it did with this stuck in it.

That arrow must have gone in deep and caused a huge amount of damage...

...but Yoshi is holding a broken part of an arrow almost the length of your arm. That's basically a full arrow . Isn't it?

Knowing about the native woods and wildfowl of the north is a TN2 recall (earth)/survival check - one which Aruzhan can credibly attempt, too.

Kenshin can try to if so inclined but it'd be TN4 for him because he's never been north of the Capital and would have no particular reason to have studied those lands specifically.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

"Goose... hmm. Nope, can't think of any."

Earth 1/Survival 0: Opp/strife. Have to keep it because its my only die.

Resolve Strife: 6/8.

Resolve Opp: -1 strife. 5/8.

Is there anything wrong, Hekasu-san, Yoshi-san?

Kenshin then asked.

(( TN 2 Earth/ survival roll. 2 ring dice come up exploding success with strife and opportunity with strife, the skill dice rolls blank. Keep the exploding success which comes up another exploding success with strife, so I get two successes and 2 strife total. This should put me back at 6/8 strife I think.))

“ we really shouldn’t be looking for trouble right now, we’ve been delayed so much as it is.” Aruzhan waits impatiently for the others to get back on their mounts. She looks at the arrow only briefly. “These lands and their inhabitants are not really my area of expertise. Still, it is unusual..” Aruzhan takes some time to think.

The ronin have now remounted, and are ready to continue on their way.

The wood of the arrow does look like northern pine. More significantly, the dark grey goose looks far more like the fletching Aruzhan is used to seeing on mass-produced arrows; geese of that colour - or even darker - are not uncommon in the south-east of Unicorn lands (or the north-west of Lion lands, depending on who you ask....) in the region near the City of the Rich Frog.

Just an observation - are you just leaving the dead boar in the middle of the road?

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Shaking his head, Hekasu replies to Kenshin, "just some hunter, probably. Long arrow, heavy draw on the bow." He shrugs.

Wolves or crows'll take care of the boar. It's not trying to kill us anymore, so it's out-of-sight, out-of-mind to Hekasu.

If everyone's ready, we'll move on.

I'm good.

sure

:: Yoshi is ready to go. Yoshi would move the boar, if someone asked him, but doesn’t want to wrangle an unclean carcass that recently embarrassed him... ::

((I was thinking about moving or butchering the boar or something, but I imagined he it would be heavy and time consuming / hard to move.. and as much as Aruzhan might want some bbq, doesn’t think the others would want to eat it.))

The quartet make their way along the Merchant Road. They travel for couple more hours, with the road gently sloping downhill to the west, back towards the river. As the densest forest is starting to thin, allowing occasional glimpses of a sky gently starting to dim into an early Southern dusk. Ahead of the ronin, the glittering of the River of Gold is visible through the trees.

The Merchant Road turns south in a broad arc, but as it does so, a well-maintained and well-travelled earth path leaves the road and curves down into a small, stone-walled gulley that looks like it should lead to the edge of the river. The path is flanked by a neat garden of stone and gravel.

PCs with Vigilance 3 may notice a few very faint wisps of cloud in the sky off to the east

Hmmm... is it me or are there some clouds in the sky?

Kenshin asks as he points at the wisps of clouds he can see.

And shall we seek shelter for the night?

Hekasu squints in the direction Kenshin points. "Eh, I feel like you're being generous calling that 'some clouds.' The inn shouldn't be too much further along, right?"

He winces and presses a hand into his wounded shoulder. "As much as this may disagree with more riding, I'd appreciate sleeping on a nice tatami tonight, rather than the ground."

Peaceful Mooring is supposed to be a dock on the river; given that the gulley the earth path follows drops down through the riverbank 'cliffs' to the waterside, it's probably the way to the Inn - either that or someone has decided to create and maintain a nicely raked stone garden in the middle of empty woodland. Which I guess isn't impossible

TN1 Survey (water)/survival might let you see if you can see, hear or smell anything else.

((Water 3/ survival 1. I keep 1 success with 2 opportunity.. I don’t have access to the book right now, but i’m Pretty sure water will let me reduce my strife, unless there’s an obviously better choice.. I might be willing to assist another roll.))

Aruzhan catches the faint scent of smoke and cooking fish from towards the river; the bank must drop away quite dramatically to hide the inn. In addition, she realises she can hear a very faint bustle of human activity, presumably coming from the inn. She can also hear a very faint but enthusiastic splashing over the distant burbling of the river against the bank - presumably a heimin child or children playing at the water's edge.

As she turns back to inform the other ronin, her eyes pass over the edge of the path. Whilst the floor of the gulley is densely-packed dry earth, the sides are rocky, but it shows signs of being artificially shaped and dressed stone, though overgrown with brush and grass. Some distance down the path, as it drops below the level of the visible ground, there is a slight narrowing of the path which looks for all the world like a ruined and overgrown gate-post for what may once have been quite a sizeable gate.

Yes, but only once. The other result can be used to notice more details. There's no real need for anyone else to make a check.

"So. Does that path lead to the Inn? And are we stopping or pushing on?"