Only 1 game to get me hooked

By Bluetiger65, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Finally played my first game this past weekend. Played with a friend who was interested. Only had one core set that I had got. Changed the crane deck said to use in tutorial to crab (but still using the neutral) against lion. Ended up winning by I guess the main way- breaking 3 provinces, then the stronghold. Love this game. Buddy likes it also. This weekend going to pick up at least one more core set and the Children of the Empire expansion. Then eventually another core set and then some clan and dynasty packs

Thanks for the information. Haven’t settled on a clan yet - want to try all out first. Saw article you linked and did say to start off 3 core sets and children of the empire, then tell expansion to buy depending on clan. Was definitely buying 1 more core set and children of the empire this weekend (the 3rd core no later than another week or possibly getting 2 cores then children next week).

Go with the second core and Children first, will give you more options when building decks out the gate, you will however want the third core eventually

7 hours ago, Bluetiger65 said:

Finally played my first game this past weekend. Played with a friend who was interested. Only had one core set that I had got. Changed the crane deck said to use in tutorial to crab (but still using the neutral) against lion. Ended up winning by I guess the main way- breaking 3 provinces, then the stronghold. Love this game. Buddy likes it also. This weekend going to pick up at least one more core set and the Children of the Empire expansion. Then eventually another core set and then some clan and dynasty packs

I was exactly the same Blue. One game and I was hooked. The other positive with getting 3 cores is that you then have two complete sets of neutral cards to loan out to other players - which is exactly what I did. With 3 cores I was able to have two competitive decks that my wife and I could take to the local L5R meet up, and then a complete deck for each other clan for people to try out the different strategies, and even cards left over so if someone really liked crane (for example) I could break out the other Crane cards and let them try deck building.

Thanks for all the info guys. Always had an interest in L5R since it was a collectible game. But was playing another one at the time (won’t say name other than the granddaddy of card games) and couldn’t afford or have time for both.

Recently quit the other game- tired of the randomness of packs, price of some cards, etc

Love the living card game approach so that strategy actually matters now

Glad this got turned into one and looking to build up the community where I live