Penalty for dropping cargo, bounties or mods

By Dagger71, in Star Wars: Outer Rim

I just watched the twitch video of your guys playing OR and it simply looks amazing. I haven’t played board games in a very long time and the wife and I got into X-Wing for a few months now and love it.

Watching the video, it seems to be very polished and I can see how easily expansions can be integrated into the base game! Very excited to buy this game.

the only game mechanic I am questioning is where players can freely buy mods/cargo and never be penalized for dumping their current shipments or replacing mods. They get full price back and carry on as if the previous contract never existed.

As as we all know it’s not good business to drop your shipments at the first sign of imperial starships.

So I think penalties should be enough to discourage dumping but make the option it available you really need it.

-loss of rep depending on the faction the cargo/bounty was intended for

-only collect 50% of what you paid for the mod/cargo

-automatic bounty placed on player after 3 dropped cargos/bounties

-possible other repercussions????

but it is not a game breaking and in fact players can enforce these rules ourselves very easily.

Edited by Dagger71
Adding

Thematically I'm not sure you're dumping the cargo, I think it's more you are selling it somewhere that it isn't in demand so you aren't getting a good price for it. Plus even though they are assigned in this game I always thought bounties were just kind of out there and whoever grabbed the person and brought them in got the reward.

I do kind of agree that if you buy a mod for your ship and then sell it that maybe you shouldn't get full price back for it, but don't forget we are playing fringe characters that are very good at what they do. Han or Lando could probably sell their damaged shield modifier at a profit if they wanted!

I think your observation could be a good hint of something we could expect in an expansion - Cargo shipments/Missions that are contracted by specific factions that cause you to go to instant negative rep if you drop/sell them or fail the mission. Unless that's already a thing and I missed it.

Can't wait for this game!

44 minutes ago, TheSpitfired said:

Thematically I'm not sure you're dumping the cargo, I think it's more you are selling it somewhere that it isn't in demand so you aren't getting a good price for it. Plus even though they are assigned in this game I always thought bounties were just kind of out there and whoever grabbed the person and brought them in got the reward.

I do kind of agree that if you buy a mod for your ship and then sell it that maybe you shouldn't get full price back for it, but don't forget we are playing fringe characters that are very good at what they do. Han or Lando could probably sell their damaged shield modifier at a profit if they wanted!

I think your observation could be a good hint of something we could expect in an expansion - Cargo shipments/Missions that are contracted by specific factions that cause you to go to instant negative rep if you drop/sell them or fail the mission. Unless that's already a thing and I missed it.

Can't wait for this game!

I tend to agree with most of what you are saying, but the cargo dropping still bothers me. If you have room for say 2 cargos on a certain ship, if you take a new cargo you must drop the one you have to make room and you don't get any credits for it and neither does it go back on the market. I do see what you mean about bounties though after re-thinking.

Edited by Dagger71

The rulebook actually refers to selling cards back to the supply as 'bartering.' In general, it's abstracted out to streamline the play. If you are gaining a new cargo from the market, you can sell the one you have towards the price of the new one. You can do that anytime you buy anything from the market. For example, Mandalorian Armor pops up in the luxury deck? You can sell you ship mod to pay for it. If they made it only worth half or something else to make it more 'realistic' it would just bog the choice down.

There are some cards in the planet decks that will give you cargo (and you have to pay for it), but they have no price in the corner, so I assume you cannot get your money back for them.

On 4/9/2019 at 11:42 PM, Dagger71 said:

I tend to agree with most of what you are saying, but the cargo dropping still bothers me. If you have room for say 2 cargos on a certain ship, if you take a new cargo you must drop the one you have to make room and you don't get any credits for it and neither does it go back on the market. I do see what you mean about bounties though after re-thinking.

The more I've been thinking about it the more I think you're right and a house-rule that says if you don't deliver cargo to its intended planet but drop/sell it for different cargo you get negative rep for that faction.

However, I have a hard time imagining they wouldn't have play-tested it that way and maybe that's why they decided against it?

I guess I could go either way on it, but maybe we should play the game as is before adding rules. That's my plan. Just wish we had a release date. My FLGS can't even pre-order it for me. :(