Why mini cards?

By Corin79, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Why FFG uses mini cards for this game??? To save production costs, or what? I really can't understand this decision? To compensate the strong presence of the app, there should be really nice physical game components, too!

I preordered the game, but i'm thinking more and more to cancel it. No dices, mini cards.... maybe Arydia makes this better...

Best regards

Corin

I would guess small cards are to keep the player presence on the table smaller. The world map tiles will be taking a lot of space and people will be flipping multiple cards and keeping some in front of them.

Ever play the Lord of the Rings LCG? Those cards are standard size and the player space gets filled super fast and even the enemy deck can hog a ton of space.

Text on these cards are also pretty minimal, so I guess to save on empty space they just shrunk the cards.

the mini cards are a pretty standard feature across a lot of FFG games. X-Wing, Star Wars Legion, Elder Sign, and lots of others. It is definitely to keep the footprint down when on the table.

To speak to @Thaeggan 's comment about LOTR LCG, just look at how crazy the table can get in a game with the standard card size lol

Yep... space and price... I have very big Gaming table, bigger than most people have and still it is too small in sometimes. So easy to see why smaller cards in here.

And yeah,.. Lotr Lcg can be space monster from time to time expsecially when 4 player Are Gaming. It does for in my table, but it Also should fit to most peoples tables.

And 4 to 6 player game with Journeys has to be space monster too ;)

Save table space is a good argument I think. I like larger cards, event more as I grow older (that's sad to say...) but I understand. I prefer to have a large map on the board, even at the price of player specific space. Also I play on a regular IA campaign table, and replacing small cards by poker size would completely clutter the table, more so for the imperial player that already find that table end is not large enough as this campaign draws to a close.

Given the choice here, I would have chosen the smaller cards anyway. Reason being table space. I use them a lot in Descent and have never minded it. I am thinking of putting these in sleeves. Any thoughts on that from people who've done this in other games with small cards?

I find cards easier to shuffle when in sleeves. When they aren't, sometimes their edges can bite each other which makes it harder to shuffle later and leaves clear markings on them.

I watched an unboxing today - havbe you seen how many cards there are? I don't know the exact count but it looked like 100+. So that many in poker size would make the game even more expensive.

That and table space, as others have already mentioned.

Since in this game we don't have a hand of cards, its not an issue. Cards are either in play or in the skill deck. The text looks quite readable, so mini cards are absolutely the right choice here.

Mini cards work if they're not filled with tiny italicized text. The ones I've seen for this game seem not overladen with words, not too hard to read--but just in case I got my old man magnifying glass at the ready. It's a necessary gaming accessory for those of us that are getting on in years, regardless of card size.

Edited by ChinoValley
29 minutes ago, Ghost Dancer said:

I watched an unboxing today - havbe you seen how many cards there are? I don't know the exact count but it looked like 100+. So that many in poker size would make the game even more expensive.

That and table space, as others have already mentioned.

Since in this game we don't have a hand of cards, its not an issue. Cards are either in play or in the skill deck. The text looks quite readable, so mini cards are absolutely the right choice here.

Rolling Solo shows pages of the Rule Book in his unboxing. If I remember correctly, he shows the contents page. Let me go check. Be right back ....................

He does. I don't see the total number of mini cards, but it does give the number of each type (role skill cards, damage cards, basic skill cards, etc.). I get a total of 337 mini cards. Now I remember why I ordered 350 sleeves. 😀