IA Continuity Project - Our Community-Focused Effort to Improve Skirmish

By cnemmick, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

At first glance. Wow. Nicely done. I wouldn't mind if our community went on with this.

What about Campaign? :-(

21 minutes ago, bill_andel said:

What about Campaign? 😞

It seems like Campaign is going to continue to get updates to the IA App for the foreseeable future. That's really great! However, if/when FFG decides that the Campaign game is a complete product, the Continuity Project will gladly support on custom Campaign content created by the community.

There's already been a bunch of great custom Campaign stuff created and shared in these forums.

@Kenseventy and I are going to try some of these fixes this weekend. However, it seems a little pre-mature to assume IA's death no? Although I'm not a playtester, so maybe they have more knowledge than me? Frankly, I'd be surprised if we don't see a new box announced in the next few months. Still, I like the idea of creating a creative community to support the game, even if it dies.

Isn’t this what you’ve been alluding to this past month?

3 hours ago, GuillotineTE said:

Isn’t this what you’ve been alluding to this past month?

Yes. I guess so. It's all so confusing. I mean it's not officially dead yet, but all signs point to yes. However, I guess since a lot of big people are involved in this new project, it makes me think that no relief is coming, i.e. that they all know something we don't. I guess I'm just hopeful for one last box, but I guess it doesn't really matter. We could carry on ourselves.

I honestly don't know what FFG is going to do with Imperial Assault going forward. What I do know is that sometime around the time Heart of the Empire was announced in May 2017, when FFG was asked about new IA product, the person who answered said there was content developed for the following year. (I think it was a GenCon? I can't find the video of the Q&A session sadly.) After Tyrants of Lothal was announced in May 2018, any time an FFG official was asked about new product, the company line has been "we have no announcement at this time". @NeverBetTheFett asked Todd Michlitsch back at GenCon 2018, "Can you tell us about the future of skirmish?" Todd's answer was "unfortunately, no".

I'm really appreciative that FFG has committed to updating the IA App with new Campaign material. I think it's a great way to continue to enjoy the Campaign game. But without new physical content, official updates to old content and not banning Spectre Cell the minute Worlds was over , we Skirmish players feel really left out in the cold.

What I hope is that there's a real surprise around the bend: either IA content that is being developed and may be 12-24 months away, or an IA 2.0. Descent is getting a livestream event on FFG's channel later this month . I don't follow the Descent community very closely, but from what I can gather, Lost Legends was a real surprise release, since they've only had digital content releases since 2016. (And, woof, their FFG official forums are sparse!)

I hope FFG surprises us in May with a new expansion release or a new version of the game. I really, really do. But I'm joining other Skirmish players in an attempt to ensure that, if FFG no longer considers IA Skirmish a priority, we can continue to enjoy the game. So we'll try, and whatever FFG does, we'll roll with it. Something something until the chances are spent .

I play Imperials mostly and the only card fixes that interest me are the Grand Inquisitor and BT-1, however Hunter cards are being nerfed so what is my incentive to play test either of those ? Had you guys chosen Sorin then maybe i could test the droids, but this looks like go play more boring trooper spam. yay 😩

@Darth evil Like the rest of the older deployments that aren't seeing play, Sorin will get his chance. Our goal with the recostings was to choose a few deployment groups that 1) share either the same trait or can be used in common list archetypes and 2) have good enough overall abilities where just a price reduction makes the figure more playable. With Sorin, we felt like he didn't qualify under the 2nd condition I mentioned: Reducing him to cost 4, 5 or 6 still is a worthwhile investment into a list, and Sorin's attack math hinders his ability to finish off figures in the late game (unlike Thrawn or our price-fixed Kayn Somos).

If you have any suggestions on what you'd like to see done to Sorin, please let me know and I'll add it to our notes. Thanks!

2 hours ago, cnemmick said:

@Darth evil Like the rest of the older deployments that aren't seeing play, Sorin will get his chance. Our goal with the recostings was to choose a few deployment groups that 1) share either the same trait or can be used in common list archetypes and 2) have good enough overall abilities where just a price reduction makes the figure more playable. With Sorin, we felt like he didn't qualify under the 2nd condition I mentioned: Reducing him to cost 4, 5 or 6 still is a worthwhile investment into a list, and Sorin's attack math hinders his ability to finish off figures in the late game (unlike Thrawn or our price-fixed Kayn Somos).

If you have any suggestions on what you'd like to see done to Sorin, please let me know and I'll add it to our notes. Thanks!

Well for starters i don't see anything wrong with Sorin's attack, he's a support character and a very good one at that, his main issues are he has so little health that he can't even take a mediocre hit and that his abilities all require him to be adjacent. I believe that always looking at the attacks of units is part of the reason the game is where it is, skirmish has become a very linear game with too much importance on killing models in 1 shot and finishing by round 3 or 4.

1 hour ago, Darth evil said:

Well for starters i don't see anything wrong with Sorin's attack, he's a support character and a very good one at that, his main issues are he has so little health that he can't even take a mediocre hit and that his abilities all require him to be adjacent. I believe that always looking at the attacks of units is part of the reason the game is where it is, skirmish has become a very linear game with too much importance on killing models in 1 shot and finishing by round 3 or 4.

Price decrease to afford Advanced Com System

11 hours ago, Trevize84 said:

Price decrease to afford Advanced Com System

Thats all he really needs, make him 6 points and up his Hp to 12.

2 hours ago, Darth evil said:

Thats all he really needs, make him 6 points and up his Hp to 12.

6 PTS allows Strength in numbers to chain his activation with Thrawn or Hondo or Blaise. It also opens to chain DT-Sorin. Not bad. I wouldn't make it 12hp, either 9 or leave at 7 and add 1 passive block. He also need 1 passive damage.

Edited by Trevize84
9 hours ago, Trevize84 said:

6 PTS allows Strength in numbers to chain his activation with Thrawn or Hondo or Blaise. It also opens to chain DT-Sorin. Not bad. I wouldn't make it 12hp, either 9 or leave at 7 and add 1 passive block. He also need 1 passive damage.

1 passive damage is too much for support characters. I do agree that 12 is too much

18 minutes ago, GuillotineTE said:

1 passive damage is too much for support characters. I do agree that 12 is too much

It would still be a lot less dangerous than Thrawn...

Note that 1 passive damage would be useable by the other figures like his other abilities as far as I know.

agreed, i haven't played IA since summer and the fact my LGS closed so i had forgotten Thrawn's cost, in fact Sorin should be closer to Thrawn being 6 points but 9 health then with Adv Comms he would be 7 but could still use the DT shenanigans

Now that we know there will be no new content for IA Skirmish, this is going to have a lot of weight going forward. A couple of suggestions for someone who doesn't know better:

1) I'd personally like to see a comprehensive rework of point costs and (especially) greater granularity for deployments.

2) Maybe do as much as you can without errata (even undo current errata so all cards are as-written?) and fix with point costs. Obvs this doesn't work with some command cards unless you change the costs of those too.

3) Put all fixes into a single, as-simple-as-possible PDF for posterity? This will make it much easier to get future players into the game, as learning and then un-learning all the rules would sadly be very daunting and un-fun for a prospective player. I have friends I want to get into the game but it's in such a bad place balance-wise. :(

2 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Now that we know there will be no new content for IA Skirmish

Technically that is:

Now that we know there are no plans for new expansions for IA Skirmish and thus expect no physical stuff in at least 2 years,

43 minutes ago, a1bert said:

Technically that is: Now that we know there are no plans for new expansions for IA Skirmish and thus expect no physical stuff in at least 2 years,

One supposes - and this is just an assumption - that if they were to return to it after those two (or more) years, they'd start with a new edition? It would be unusual, I think, for them to pick up making more expansions as though nothing had happened?

All academic at this point, of course. For the foreseeable future, we can expect nothing more (other than the app); and if at some point in the more distant future that changes, what a lovely day that will be.

19 minutes ago, Bitterman said:

this is just an assumption - that if they were to return to it after those two (or more) years, they'd start with a new edition?

A new edition would allow larger changes, including a total change of setting. The longer the hiatus, the more probable both a new edition and no edition at all are.

On 4/14/2019 at 9:55 AM, Bitterman said:

For the foreseeable future, we can expect nothing more (other than the app)

Not necesarilly. I think that the information we have do not exclude possibility of errata. And that would be welcomed by itself

Here's our official IACP response to the Star Wars Celebration news: http://ia-continuityproject.com/2019/04/16/no-one-is-ever-really-gone/

Personally I'm disappointed that FFG is not interested in supporting Skirmish with new material, but I'm also glad that we finally have an official response. The past several days, folks have been making up their minds if they're going to play other competitive games. If they do leave Skirmish behind, that's completely understandable and I hope they find other product that entertains them as much as Skirmish did.

But there's still a bunch of us who aren't quite ready to let go. If you want to join up with us, we're gonna have a much fun as we can enjoying Skirmish going forward.