How easy to harvest?

By Nohwear, in Realms of Terrinoth

I recently had a stroke of inspiration for a fantasy setting where Dwarves are the dominate race. Races are called the (Something) Made depending on how well they match Dwarves, the Well Made. Who are clearly the intended template. How much of the book would be harvestable for such a setting? Feel free to chime in with other thoughts if you want.

I personally believe that RoT is worth the (PDF) price for Heroic Abilities, crafting and craftsmanship rules alone. The rest is just icing on the proverbial cake.

So I guess that means that it's super easy to harvest.

17 hours ago, c__beck said:

I personally believe that RoT is worth the (PDF) price for Heroic Abilities, crafting and craftsmanship rules alone. The rest is just icing on the proverbial cake.

I would second this. I got the PDF version of RoT specifically because I wanted some of the new mechanics, but didn't care about the setting itself. It will definitely help with what you've described so far.

Just from what you've described I think the crafting rules will be a big deal. Especially in a setting focused on dwarves.

On 4/5/2019 at 3:26 PM, c__beck said:

For me, the art, maps, and scant world info (still more than I ever had on it) was worth the price of the book. (and I got the pdf too). While there is a lot to harvest, you really have to READ the sections for info, as things like Barons' names, etc. are kind of buried in it.

On 4/5/2019 at 11:17 AM, Nohwear said:

I recently had a stroke of inspiration for a fantasy setting where Dwarves are the dominate race.

I had the same inspiration a while ago! Mine came when I realized that a Dwarven nation would probably be the equivalent of the Roman Republic.

• They're stubborn. Numerous times through history, a Roman army would suffer a crushing defeat, to the point where any sensible leader would sue for peace, and probably end up as a vassal state that survives, but is forgotten by history. The Romans were just too stubborn, and would throw more and more soldiers at the enemy. Pyrrhus of Epirus was considered one of the greatest military leaders of the day, and after winning several victories against the Romans, famously said, "If we are victorious in one more battle with the Romans, we shall be utterly ruined."
  • They are orderly. While I hate the D&D alignment system, Dwarves are Lawful as heck. This means that Dwarven societies and armies are all about getting the job done.
  • They are tough and hardy. One of the innovations of the Roman Legions was figuring out the essentials for an individual soldier, packing it up, and training each soldier to march for days on end carrying that. For a Dwarf, that's a casual picnic. Dwarves are not known for their speed, but they can cover a lot of distance without stopping.
  • They're the best craftsmen. Elves make fine swords and armor, of course, but Dwarves make excellent swords, armor, shields, wagons, mills, siege weapons, and stone walls. Not only does this ensure that they're well equipped, it also means...
  • They're rich. They have the best stuff, which means people will want to buy it. Oh yeah, they also mine gold and silver, so that helps.
  • They're unassailable. There's no way you're taking a Dwarven mountain fortress by force of arms. It's just not happening.

Their primary weakness would be lack of food. Sure, they might be able to cultivate mushrooms or whatever in their mountain strongholds, but they're going to need to trade heavily with the Humans and Halflings tending the fields in the valleys below. Or, you know, just claim dominion over them. Imagine you're a human land baron, quarreling with your neighbors. Along comes a well-dressed Dwarven envoy. You've been trading with these Dwarves a bit. They're stuffy, proud, and maybe even a bit greedy, but they're true to their word and their crafts are top-notch. This envoy suggests a permanent arrangement. Swear fealty to the Dwarven High King (or Senate, or whatever), and make an annual tribute of the crops your peasants produce. That might hurt your pride a little, but in return, you'll be protected and now be part of the Dwarven Kingdom. The Dwarven Legions now protect your land, and your own soldiers are clad in Dwarven mail. Your peasants will work the land with Dwarf-steel tools, not that pig iron your smiths produce. You can still manage your lands pretty much unhindered, so long as the crops come in. And if you want to expand your territory and call yourself "King," they might even assist you with that (as long as you don't start getting too big for your britches). And if you don't take that deal, well, there are other barons who will...

In the ROT book, the Dwarves are divided into 10 Guilds, so you could base it on this (or not). I've got them broken down here, and added some symbols to them (as for me, every group HAS to have a symbol)....but I haven't gone into more detail yet, (as only one person is playing a dwarf, and I doubt they'll continue).

https://www.scabard.com/pbs/campaign/235523/folder/328090

You could easily just replace the human barons with Dwarven barons too. They aren't given much more than a name in the book. Maybe each barony is a different guild? (would be easy to add two additional ones, for 12 baronies)....

Edited by IamGazrok