B, X, Y Rebel Scum vs Actual Scum

By Mark Caliber, in X-Wing Battle Reports

I dropped the A-Wing and replaced it with a Y-Wing. My team breakout was . . .

Ten in the B-Wing with Outmaneuver, Fire Control Systems, Jamming Beam(Actually fired it off this week), Advanced Protons, & Hull Upgrade.

Wedge in the X-Wing with Swarm Tactics, R3, & Protons.

And introducing Dutch in a Y-Wing with Swarm Tactics, R4, Ion Turret, Veteran Gunner, Protons.

Opfor was a light upgrade scum list with Fenn Rau (I6), Boba Fett (I5), Fen Rau, & Captain Seevor in the Mining Guild TIE at initiative 3.

SETUP:

Asteroids were clustered around the edges. I actually shoehorned 3 asteroids into the upper right corner. Nice and clear, just like I prefer.

Opfor set up the TIE in the upper left with Fen & Boba in the center.

My synergistic team was set up in the lower right corner with Dutch & Ten running Point with Wedge trailing. By turn two they were a nice tight Triangle.

MERGE:

I've been practicing my formation flying and pointed my formation toward the center, with my eyes on Fen Rau & Boba. The TIE (inexplicably) raced down the left side, trying to set up a flank attack on my port side.

Fen came in out front with Boba trailing close behind. My opponent missed on the deployment of the TIE and that ship missed the Merge altogether.

The initial clash was pretty disappointing. Fen avoided most of the initial attacks with the Jamming beam being useless (2 "hits vs 2 evades) and ultimately between the three ships, Fen takes only 1 Hit & 1 Crit from Wedge's Protorp. Dutch's two attacks completely wiffed.

In response Dutch took a pounding from Fen & Boba. (Four resulting hits).

TUSSLE.

The TIE swings in and flys in to fall on my team's flank (finally) but with a stressful 5 straight.

Dutch locks in with a 4 K Turn, putting him behind Fen Rau and RIGHT in front of Boba.

Ten swings his B-Wing into a 1 Talon Roll to port preparing to cover Fen's starboard lane of departure.

Poor Boba bumps into Dutch (!) and Fenn turns hard to port trying to race into the asteroids.

Instead Fenn positions himself right in front of Wedge's 3 Talon to Starboard.

Scratch Fenn.

In response Ten takes a pounding from Boba & the TIE.

A Stressed TIE fighter swings into a very natural kill box.

Dutch is trying to keep out of Boba's arcs and swings right to mess with the intent to force Boba into bumping again or to disengage to the right. He and Wedge pick up locks on Boba (with Dutch's ability).

Ten makes a slow turn toward the TIE's likely vector and Wedge zips away from the TIE (closes his S-Foils, clears stress and boosts to circle around).

Dutch's luck runs out as Boba also swings right. Dutch is knocked off of the board but Boba has disengages.

Meanwhile Ten turns in to finish off the TIE and to help Wedge Box in the Mining TIE.

Wedge sets up a second lock onto the Mining Tie, and locks in a nice shot, only to have Seevor hit him with a jamming token. Wedge blazes away at long range for little affect, while Ten fires on him from long range as well. Ten ultimately takes out the TIE (FCS & Stress/Focus for max damage).

Tenn and Wedge reform to help Ten take advantage of Swarm Tactics.

But Ten falls to Boba Fett. The Firespray came in a bit faster than I expected and Boba wipes Ten off the board, but not before taking a pounding himself.

The next turn has Boba & Wedge and range 2. Wedge has kept his lock and picks up the focus, setting up a nice Torpedo Shot on Boba and at I6 and with Max Damage Boba falls.

AAR

This was a tougher fight than I expected and my opponent avoided a lot of torpedo shots. Dutch hadn't gotten any of his torpedoes off and Ten hadn't deployed his Adv Torp. Partly, because I'm in the habit of keeping Torpedoes until I can have a lock and focus combo.

The Opfor kept his TIE loose and out of the fight and I think that if they had flown him a bit more aggressively, I might have fared more poorly. (But I still won)!

The R3 was nice for Wedge. Being able to optimize with Target locks was really fun. Wedge picked up a Lock on Boba Fett VERY early and held it all through the game, while also locking on other ships. And keeping a lock on a ship makes Wedge a very scary opponent. In retrospect the R3 is a nice combo of the Wave 1 FCS plus it allows you to hold locks on up to two ships. Once Alliance players figure out the value of R3's, I can see them getting a price increase in July.

For what it's worth, the Jamming Beam is worth what I paid for (zero). With only 3 attack dice for the Jamming Beam, I can usually do the same thing (or better) by just shooting at the opponent with main weapons.

I've been playing around with the build for this team and the Mk I build wasn't my favorite, but it's what I packed. I'm looking at deploying my Mk IV build for next week, which will throw on shields for Ten & Wedge and strip off the Ion Turret from Dutch. Dutch (with a reload action) becomes a Torpedo Boat, and for added fun, he'll be flying around with Proton Bombs.

And for an added bonus, there were only four players at our FLGS yesterday and the other winning player was running a team very similar to my own Rebel Team. The fourth team was a Sep Team with two infiltrators and a handful of Vultures.

We had a couple of RSVP Regrets from other players so hoping for more contestants next week. Hoping to see what the GAR & CSA ships can do in person.