Is Extra Armor unique now?

By Nangariel, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Sorry if this has been asked before, but has Extra Armor received errata that made it a unique deployment card?

I noticed this picture in the FFG article about Worlds, and there is the unique bullet there... swi-2019-world-champ-participation.png

There hasn't been an errata, so it's a mistake.

A mistake like many others on such alt cards... its not the first time.

Or there is errata on the way...

Just now, neosmagus said:

Or there is errata on the way...

Is there any reason Extra Armor would need it?

I actually thought you weren’t able to combine it with Heroic Effort (since it isn’t unique), but guess I was wrong...

59 minutes ago, Nangariel said:

I actually thought you weren’t able to combine it with Heroic Effort (since it isn’t unique), but guess I was wrong...

It's from a clause in the FAQ, which says:

Rules and abilities that reference Deployment cards do not affect, do not include, and cannot manipulate Skirmish Upgrade cards unless the rule or ability states otherwise.

So where Heroic Effort says something like "all Deployment cards" must be unique, it really doesn't mean "all Deployment cards". It's clear when you look closely enough at the rules and latest FAQ with a lawyerly mindset, but to a normal person looking at the card, the rules don't mean what they say they mean... one example (and far from the only one) of the rules creaking under their own weight IMO.

3 minutes ago, Bitterman said:

one example (and far from the only one) of the rules creaking under their own weight IMO.

In this case I don't see it as that, just that FFG didn't originally think of naming the skirmish upgrades a separate card type (instead of being another style of deployment card). Skirmish was a very late addition in any case.

1 hour ago, a1bert said:

In this case I don't see it as that, just that FFG didn't originally think of naming the skirmish upgrades a separate card type (instead of being another style of deployment card). Skirmish was a very late addition in any case.

I mean, it's certainly clear that with the benefit of hindsight there are things the dev team would probably do differently once it became clear the core set wasn't going to be flexible or extensible enough but that which might not have been obvious at the time (I'm guessing: traits, attachments, skirmish upgrades, to name but three). And I shall take your word for it that skirmish was a late addition; as a paying customer I'm not sure that should much matter though - not that that's as condemnatory as it might sound, since skirmish is a really awesome game mode that has provided me with a great deal of fun. Last-minute or not, it works pretty well.

I'm just saying, when the text "all Deployment cards" does not mean "all Deployment cards", something is rotten.

Edited by Bitterman
13 hours ago, a1bert said:

Is there any reason Extra Armor would need it?

I'd never even considered bringing more than one copy until I opened this thread. I haven't thought about it, but that seems excessive.

Speaking of those cards, I just read Heavy Fire carefully for the first time this weekend and it's a seems to be a bad card. So for 1 damage to 3 units I can becomes stunned, bleeding, and weak? Am I missing something or is that a terrible idea?

Edited by Jaric256
2 hours ago, Jaric256 said:

Speaking of those cards, I just read Heavy Fire carefully for the first time this weekend and it's a seems to be a bad card. So for 1 damage to 3 units I can becomes stunned, bleeding, and weak? Am I missing something or is that a terrible idea?

I have seen it used to good effect with Unshakeable and the many command cards to remove status effects. The best use I saw was with the Emperor: he activated the unit normally and used Heavy Fire when he used the Emperor’s attack. The next turn he removed the stun and attacked again, so 3 attacks in 2 turns plus some splash damage. He didn’t use it every turn but to good effect in the above example.

4 hours ago, Jaric256 said:

Some folks use it with drokatta and Sabine. Between all the AoE, a heavy fire boosted attack could finish off a second or even third unit once they’re all wounded.

1 hour ago, Averagejo3gam3r said:

Some folks use it with drokatta and Sabine. Between all the AoE, a heavy fire boosted attack could finish off a second or even third unit once they’re all wounded.

That's what I was bringing it with, but because I thought the negative condition was applied to the bonus damage targets, not the attacker.

Well its mostly just bleeding and stunned as weakened falls off at the end of your activation. It can be a pretty decent card, and their are plenty of ways to mitigate harmful conditions.

On 4/2/2019 at 12:38 AM, Jaric256 said:

That's what I was bringing it with, but because I thought the negative condition was applied to the bonus damage targets, not the attacker.

Yeah. Heavy Fire is good with Wild Fury as you're taking the conditions anyways (just use it on the second attack!), and Drokatta doesn't live long vs SC so it the conditions may not matter vs them anyways

On 4/2/2019 at 12:56 AM, Jaric256 said:

It is! And this clearly shows cards aren't tested properly before release