Half the lists at worlds - Specter cell. Disgusting.

By Kalandros, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

2 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

Agreed. They make excuses.

"Disney wants us hush hush on any additions to their cannon"

Well, if you overload a cannon it'll misfire when you light the fuse - and that can be very dangerous indeed.

And given Disney has already done to the SW canon by destroying the EU... imagine how much IA content could've been mined from there!

8 minutes ago, dysartes said:

Well, if you overload a cannon it'll misfire when you light the fuse - and that can be very dangerous indeed.

And given Disney has already done to the SW canon by destroying the EU... imagine how much IA content could've been mined from there!

Agreed. I find it funny how much of the non-CANON is actually in some of the games still like X-wing.

As a very simple one - imagine an EU campaign box based around Rogue or Wraith Squadron...

Wedge and Tycho, and maybe Corran Horn, would need to be NPCs, but you could have "generic" pilot-commandos as the PCs.

The Rogues freeing Coruscant would've been a great campaign.

14 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

I personally would not be proud to win a tournament with a meta list, one that requires very little prep or skill. All of you who brought SC will not get a congratulations from me.

I was about to argue with this (and I feel like I almost always agree with you on other stuff)...

but then:

9 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

In saying that, congratulations on your win. It is in know way any less than anyone else's win. You played by the rules, and won fair and square. In fact, facing 7 straight mirror matches must have been absolutely brutal.

I read the next part. Cool. You're right here. Brett played by the rules and won a bunch of tough matches. It's not his fault at all that FFG designed a monotonous meta. I totally think Brett must have done very well and played skillfully and want to give him credit! (even though it wouldn't probably be my style either, and I would have played something weird instead-- and lost! Heck, I would have lost even if I HAD played with SC, so GREAT win.)

I just had this hope against hope that someone would figure out something cool and beat SC and I could have said "see, SC is tough but it's not that bad" but I admit I was wrong. My hopes were dashed! SC is 100% OP and therefore BAD design. Fix it, FFG!

And well done Brett.

And I wish I lived closer and could participate in one of these things sometime...

guess I should finally work up the courage to do a vassal game with some of y'all.

Edited by Mandelore of the Rings

For us competitive players it's not about the prizes. It's about success and respect. And Brett deserves respect for being the world champion (and fighting 7 mirror matches). Changing the OP support, so everyone gets the swag, will not change the way the game is played on the top tables on top tier events.

FFG had to bring Spectre Cell to stop Daniel Taylor. You never thaught of that? :)

1 hour ago, soontir67 said:

FFG had to bring Spectre Cell to stop Daniel Taylor. You never thaught of that? :)

Also for having a rebel list winning worlds :)

so which list ended up winning?

1 hour ago, Spidey NZ said:

so which list ended up winning?

Spectre Cell

On 4/1/2019 at 10:23 AM, NeverBetTheFett said:

I remember specifically being told by FFG designers that the negative talk on here is being noted and that the company views it as motivation to not improve the game.

Big frickin' yikes right there. Talk about incompetence.

On 4/1/2019 at 7:23 AM, NeverBetTheFett said:

I remember specifically being told by FFG designers that the negative talk on here is being noted and that the company views it as motivation to not improve the game. Specifically that people keep complaining about it dying.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe that for a second.

7 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

Agreed. The only reason (until lately) that people talked about IA dying is because the FFG website lists it as not for sale, so every three days you get an "is this game dead?" thread. They could have trivially fixed that at any point in the last several years by changing the FFG website to say "available from your FLGS or online store" instead of "not available". Those kind of "complaints" aren't going to cause anyone who's an actual adult to say "oh, we'll deliberately make our game bad, then!"

Granted more recently people have wondered if it's dying because SC has obliterated the competitive meta and they haven't released or even hinted at any new product in, what, a year or more? In which case, again, the way to solve people wondering whether a game is dying is to, maybe, not kill it .

Very, very, very little of the discussion here or elsewhere is about IA being a bad game (SC excepted, and maybe 4x4 back in the day). It's not a bad game. It's phenomenal. It's just clearly not going to get any more releases, and nobody at FFG seems to have enough of a spine to simply explain that situation.

6 hours ago, Bitterman said:

Granted more recently people have wondered if it's dying because SC has obliterated the competitive meta and they haven't released or even hinted at any new product in, what, a year or more? In which case, again, the way to solve people wondering whether a game is dying is to, maybe, not kill it .

Very, very, very little of the discussion here or elsewhere is about IA being a bad game (SC excepted, and maybe 4x4 back in the day). It's not a bad game. It's phenomenal. It's just clearly not going to get any more releases, and nobody at FFG seems to have enough of a spine to simply explain that situation.

What makes little sense to me is the fact they wont just say the game is done. How many fully complete boardgames do we all own? We only speculate due to lack of communication.

I have the Fantasy Flight Games, A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (2nd Edition). I bought the game pretty late, probably around the same time as I started buying IA products in 2016. They made one update to the game and then went silent for two years. (probably due to GRRM's turtle like writing pace). Just a month or two ago they finally release a big update for the game. In between those two dates, we had no idea whether another update would ever come. There was plenty of people claiming "The game is dead"- but in this case it seemed true. FFG is notorious for picking favorites on the front page news feed, when it comes to their products, whether they sell or not. For everything else on the back burner? Radio silence.

I have seen this same event unfold in 5 separate games I have purchased from FFG.

Long story short- FFG hates talking to anybody. We should be counted lucky for receiving updates on any games created by them at all.

Image result for master shifu meditating (We are treated like an annoying panda in this situation)

Edited by King_Balrog
14 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

Even the non-IA FFGr's chimed in. They said that the forums are monitored and that the negative talk about the game dying does not motivate the company. Other members of this forum were there and can confirm this was said. If I had to paraphrase it was "Well keep bit-ching about the game guys and we'll just stop making it" . The impression was that the new ownership is looking at things in a different way than the old guard with Emperor Petersen. So, it really involves the issues with Disney and for some part Hasbro.

22 minutes ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

Even the non-IA FFGr's chimed in. They said that the forums are monitored and that the negative talk about the game dying does not motivate the company. Other members of this forum were there and can confirm this was said. If I had to paraphrase it was "Well keep bit-ching about the game guys and we'll just stop making it" . The impression was that the new ownership is looking at things in a different way than the old guard with Emperor Petersen. So, it really involves the issues with Disney and for some part Hasbro.

IF they monitor the forums why dont they ever make their presence known? There isn't any community outreach at all. We'll treat the guys with respect and dignity.

Most of these speculations come from the fact they are too busy to talk to us, or answer any questions at all.

Example: (Once a month a dev or somebody IA related answers (to the best of their ability) community voted questions or something)

That would improve any negative talk by 100%.

We love IA... Sometimes it feels like FFG just doesn't like us back.

Image result for just not that into you

Edited by King_Balrog
41 minutes ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

Seriously?

If that's true, it's without a doubt the worst customer relation strategy I've ever heard of.

I'm skeptical on that for now (just because it's so ludicrously bad) but even in a best case scenario, FFG has proven time and time again that their customer relation techniques are pretty sub par.

So, I guess it's at least plausible.

So, if that is what you do, FFG, I'll call the bluff: Stop making the game, then. I'll stop buying it, and everything else you produce.

Edited by subtrendy2
3 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

If this is the case, then FFG is the most unprofessional company in the world. Without me even doing research on other companies, because that is the complete opposite of how you should run a business.

I know FFG to not be the worst company in the world, as they have great customer relations in other games such as what we saw at Legion this past weekend. So I believe this statement to be false.

I believe Todd really has no news for us, thus the silence. It is a waiting game, but right now the problem is the evidence against FFG is so incriminating that the longer they stay silent, the more guilty they look about actually shutting this game down. 1 year without new product announced, 7 months since the last physical release, and the most imbalanced meta since 4x4.. do SOMETHING. ANYTHING is better than what is being done right now. Even a 'games done' announcement is better than the silence.

12 minutes ago, FrogTrigger said:

If this is the case, then FFG is the most unprofessional company in the world. Without me even doing research on other companies, because that is the complete opposite of how you should run a business.

I know FFG to not be the worst company in the world, as they have great customer relations in other games such as what we saw at Legion this past weekend. So I believe this statement to be false.

I believe Todd really has no news for us, thus the silence. It is a waiting game, but right now the problem is the evidence against FFG is so incriminating that the longer they stay silent, the more guilty they look about actually shutting this game down. 1 year without new product announced, 7 months since the last physical release, and the most imbalanced meta since 4x4.. do SOMETHING. ANYTHING is better than what is being done right now. Even a 'games done' announcement is better than the silence.

My feelings exactly. This is a great game. We all love it. Paying some attention to it would be beneficial you would think? But the apparent lack of care is wearing on us all. I mean what's the risk of telling us the game is done? They'll be stuck with inventory? No, because apparently they don't keep anything in stock. They obviously don't care about stores being stuck with useless stock as so many got stuck with old 1.0 X wing stuff. I can think of three reasons (among many) that could lead to the silence.

1. The game is dead, nothing is coming, so hence nothing to say.

2. The game is in a holding pattern due to new relationships with Disney, Hasbro, and Asmodee. So, mum's the word, for now. Nothing to say right now.

3. They don't want to compete with their new product (legion). One that has less restrictions for them as is clearly getting a lot of resources. So, say nothing about IA.

I hope I'm wrong. But the behaviour signals what was reported recently, which is that IA will keep up OP support until 2020 (thus keeping some sales active) and then the game will end. That being said, I have hopes for one last set of expansions. I'll still buy them because the game is awesome, and is a total value with campaign.

Edited by NeverBetTheFett
3 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

If a strong negative reaction in the community to a product licensed from a Disney property is all it takes to sink it, one wonders how Battlefront is still supported.

While I am avidly not a proponent of "the customer is always right," it's not good business to dismiss all complaints out of hand either. There was a lot of praise for the Vader, Han, Chewie, and IG fixes so certainly it seems like the community can be positive.

I've never played a single tournament (since we couldn't even get four people together any of the times we tried to have one in my area) but I love campaign and casual play. I'll certainly be keeping the game around as a board game and occasionally casual skirmish game. But at the very least, it would be nice to know if I need to rush to fill holes in my collection before it all goes out of print and if the app support will continue (and add Heart and the small box campaigns).

Ultimately it has been clear that IA is not a focus for FFG. After seeing a powerful, frustrating, and meta disruptive list like the triple Upsilons in X-Wing get eliminated before big tournament season (despite in no way being the only list appearing and winning at tournaments), it becomes even more glaring when a Worlds tournament in IA has a top 16 with 13 near identical lists. "If you'd stop complaining about being neglected, maybe we'll stop neglecting you" is some Dickensian s***.

4 minutes ago, Weatherwax2099 said:

"If you'd stop complaining about being neglected, maybe we'll stop neglecting you" is some Dickensian s***.

image.jpeg.f3b2833373b96ae61b8b455faebc17a6.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Weatherwax2099 said:

"If you'd stop complaining about being neglected, maybe we'll stop neglecting you" is some Dickensian s***.

QFT.

If the SC attack was "once per game" or the +1 damage/block were power tokens (used up or removed with command cards, Doubt, etc) then SC wouldn't be that strong. You could even do both and I still think they'd be tough, but not nearly as broken

Edited by buckero0
10 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

If the SC attack was "once per game" or the +1 damage/block were power tokens (used up or removed with command cards, Doubt, etc) then SC wouldn't be that strong. You could even do both and I still think they'd be tough, but not nearly as broken

Ya could even make the damage/block "once per round assign..."

I always felt making it an attachment was a good move, while keeping the stat bonuses static. Then it can be removed if put on a high offense figure like Kanaan or Ezra, or if they put it on a back line figure like Chopper it's less dangerous. It also gives the opponent a chance to plan around when it will be used, knowing which activation it is tied to.

Or you keep the damage static, but only add the block to the figure it is attached to, making them harder to remove and the attachment a bit safer.

5 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

1. The game is dead, nothing is coming, so hence nothing to say.

2. The game is in a holding pattern due to new relationships with Disney, Hasbro, and Asmodee. So, mum's the word, for now. Nothing to say right now.

3. They don't want to compete with their new product (legion). One that has less restrictions for them as is clearly getting a lot of resources. So, say nothing about IA.

If anyone cares for my 2 cents, I suspect that the truth lies closest to option 3.

I don't think the game is entirely dead, and for the most part the deals with other companies aren't as "be all, end all" as some people on this forum claim.

Most likely, they have re-allocated more resources to the new kid on the block, and are pushing it hard (makes sense, to promote a new product right?)

Those devs who are most involved with IA probably have been told to keep quiet to a) avoid arguments with us on the forums and b) not spoil IA or take shine off Legion.

As to the lack of communication with the playerbase; Basically, the internet sucks. Because it's a bad place where people say bad things, it's better to not stick your head in and make it worse.

I know that sounds stupid, but face to face relations are completely different from how you communicate on forums/twitter etc. That's the simplicity of it.

Crazy as it sounds, they appear to prefer disgruntled Forum topics and threats to quit the game over getting involved and having a small minority of trolls and aggressives whoe ruin it for most of us who can manage a civilised discourse online.

TL:DR : The internet a bad place & FFG don't want none of it. Plus Legion is the new baby getting all the attention, and IA is the older sibling feeling neglected.