Expansion pack supplements for the "rare" cards?

By JonHook, in Living Card Games

Hello FFG,

I love the choice by FFG to move to the larger 60 card expansion packs for each of their LCG. Each new 60 card expansion pack would be three copies of each of the 20 unique cards in the expansion pack. This is different from the previous expansion pack model which had 40 cards. It still had 20 unique cards, but some were supplied as three copies, but some were only supplied as a single copy.

Would FFG consider producing some new expansion pack supplements for each game's core set and any expansion that originally contained single copies of certain cards? So, for example, FFG could produce an expansion pack for the Warhammer: Invasion core set that contained two copies of each card that was only available as a single copy in the core set.

I don't know what the price point would be on these, since each expansion could have a different number of cards in each special expansion pack supplement, but I'm sure it could be a great selling point to draw new players into the game. It could encourage new and old players to go back an collect expansion packs and the new special expansion pack supplement so a player could have three copies of each card.

Just thought I'd share this idea.

They might warm up to this idea, as Assault on Ulthuan for Warhammer:Invasion includes two extra Innovation cards. That would indicate that they are aware of the demand, so we could hope for more :)

+1 !

I'm ready to pay the price for that kind of expansion...

Best would be to have all of them in the same box (like Warhammer Invasion core set + assault on Ulthuan + 6 first expansions => cards in 2 get one extra card and cards in 1 get two).

This will make the LCG really competitive and make tournaments more appropriate.

This will make deck building more fun and more tricky !!!

This would be great...

I'm thinking cards which make triplicates more dangerous would be even neater, though. And cheaper ;)

Just something to mix things up and force people to have more variety in their decks.

evilidler said:

[...]force people to have more variety in their decks.

Hi evilidler,

I've played Magic long time ago and ther was nothing compared playing with a powerful combo deck created by yourself.

And combo decks are often based on a signle card that you MUST have in 4 exemplar to make it work. I think this is the same here.

Nevertheless, varied decks are ok for draft or playing with friends but once they've decided to launch tournaments (= competitive).

If some cards are restricted (to the number of cards in one box of each, for exemple), we'll lose the fun "powerful-combo" part of it.

It would be more fun if varied tactics were required, wouldn't it? I'm not too fond of the current Year of the Rat thing with W:I, for instance ;)

evilidler said:

It would be more fun if varied tactics were required, wouldn't it? I'm not too fond of the current Year of the Rat thing with W:I, for instance ;)

Agreed !

But in LCG, this is inevitable with narrow-minded people : they type "best deck WH I" and holy google, they copy what they find.

It's only a matter of how people thinks.

I prefer creating, it's a pleasure for me. But there are, for WH I, not enought cards for the moment.

The real problem is this :

1/ If FFG reorganize the deck building with "rare", "special" and "base" card for exemple (1,2 or 3 cards in a deck)

=> Don't need to buy three of each but people who have already done will cry

=> The new "politic" of 60 cards packs is at the opposite of that

2/ If FFG don't reorganize without making a "special-box-now-you-got-them-all-in-3-exemplars-at-low-cost"

=> Richer people have the advantage (like in non LCG card games) and the holy principe of LCG AND tournaments are ruined.

3/ FFG issues an add-on to triplicate all the existing cards

=> Everybody is happy.

That's my point of view but I totally agree about variety.

PS : sorry for my english, I'm from Belgium where people speaks french (and flamish, but I don't) ^^

I don't mind the packs being full of triplets, but I hope one of those triplets someday will be something that shakes up the opponent's triplet strategy > :)

Mmmmh, nobody here (JonHook and Evilidler excepted) seems interested in having something from FFG about OLD non-triplets.

Please, this subject should be crowded with "+1" and "Yay, let's do it !"...

sad.gif

Pikaboo said:

Mmmmh, nobody here (JonHook and Evilidler excepted) seems interested in having something from FFG about OLD non-triplets.

Please, this subject should be crowded with "+1" and "Yay, let's do it !"...

sad.gif

Because if this expansion set was in any way cheaper than the amount the people who have paid for 3x everything already have paid for their extra cards, it would be a massive slap in the face to those that put up with the original collation and still shelled out for three packs. In addition, this release would more than likely take up the slot of a release, meaning no new cards for the people who already have 3x everything.

If they reprinted the original battle packs in the new format, fair enough, maybe even release them as a set of Corruption Cycle 1-6 3x packs with the new price point as that would also help new players get 3x everything reasonably. But to do it so it simply rewards the people who've only bought 1 of everything prior to the new collation wouldn't be a sensible move towards new or old players.

LordMalinari said:

Because if this expansion set was in any way cheaper than the amount the people who have paid for 3x everything already have paid for their extra cards, it would be a massive slap in the face to those that put up with the original collation and still shelled out for three packs. In addition, this release would more than likely take up the slot of a release, meaning no new cards for the people who already have 3x everything.

If they reprinted the original battle packs in the new format, fair enough, maybe even release them as a set of Corruption Cycle 1-6 3x packs with the new price point as that would also help new players get 3x everything reasonably. But to do it so it simply rewards the people who've only bought 1 of everything prior to the new collation wouldn't be a sensible move towards new or old players.

You say that because you've probably done so (buying everything 3 times) but I don't think it's the majority.

1st, if someone have already bought each sets 3 times, he's NOT FORCED to buy the "rare *3" set.

2nd, they only rewards patient people who likes the game and wants more. That's all about.

3rd, yes, buying each sets 3 times ( and having some cards 9 times and all tiles 3 times) is (at my advice) crazyness. Nothing better than a massive slap to awake crazy people gui%C3%B1o.gif .

4th, new players will have the choice of something soft and cheap (base box and/or base add-on) or they could exend their game lust with the hypothetical "rare*3" set.

5th this way, I think FFG will show that they respect old and new players (without a new format, to preserve old "crazy" players and with options for old "non-crazy" and new players.

That's my advice. Don't offence about the "crazy" thing because I am one too but I'm talking for my friends who wants balanced games and I'm talking about league's equilibrium. Basically, LCG's goal is that everyone have the same chances...not the richer ones.

Pikaboo said:

That's my advice. Don't offence about the "crazy" thing because I am one too but I'm talking for my friends who wants balanced games and I'm talking about league's equilibrium. Basically, LCG's goal is that everyone have the same chances...not the richer ones.

Haha, but I am crazy :P

Having thought about it, I don't think I would mind if this product did come out as long as it didn't replace a slot for a new product. Sure, I may have paid a bit more to get my set, but that wouldn't bother me, and setting the entry point lower would certainly be a good thing, it's just whether everyone who had bought 3x felt the same ^^

Pikaboo said:

You say that because you've probably done so (buying everything 3 times) but I don't think it's the majority.

I might be interested in a box including two copies of every 'rare' card from the APs. But even then it would depend on the price.

jhaelen said:

Pikaboo said:

Well, I have bought only one copy of every AP, so I would not be interested in buying reprints with three copies of every card. Because then I'd have four or even six copies of each of them.

I might be interested in a box including two copies of every 'rare' card from the APs. But even then it would depend on the price.

Exactly.

I would definitely buy a set that brought all of the "old style" cards up to date to make triplicates of each card. In fact, If it weren't for the new style of LCG I wouldn't be playing at all, so I'd really like to see them go retroactive and offer something like that. ****** Even if it was only sold on the website and came in a plain box to save packaging costs *******

As it is now, I'm a casual player, so I won't be buying more than one of everything and just have fun with that. But I can definitely see how having three of some of the solo cards from the core set would be useful.

I'd actually be surprised if something like this isn't released. Especially if they see a boost in sales after they introduce the 60 card packs.

Atendarius said:

I'd actually be surprised if something like this isn't released. Especially if they see a boost in sales after they introduce the 60 card packs.

No boost in sales because no more triplicates-buyers ^^.

The increased price point takes care of some of that, you might not have any more x3 buyers but now you get 5$ more from your x1 buyers. Also I think the 3x packs will bring more people into the game.

Darksbane said:

The increased price point takes care of some of that, you might not have any more x3 buyers but now you get 5$ more from your x1 buyers. Also I think the 3x packs will bring more people into the game.

I agree! I think the idea of releasing a catch up pack that brings all cards released to the maximum three card level is a fantastic idea that will take the LCG concept from 'original' to 'groundbreaking'!

To contribute to the record, I'd buy an expansion to supplement my non- x3 cards. Even more I'd pay to bring my non-destruction/order only neutrals to x6.

I have three of nearly every set of Call of Cthulhu and would not consider it a slap in my face if they released 60 card packs with x3 of everything. I would even buy some more for deck building but haven't picked them up because $30 is a bit much for three cards.... at $15 I would but more.

Also, having to buy three complete core sets to get key cards is silly. I don't need three pretty boxes, three boards, 18 cthulhu domain markers, etc. If the core cards were available separately as cards only for around $20 I think the game would boom.

As it stands, the LCG format is gathering a reputation of 3 core sets with lots of useless duplicate components being required to get started.

+1 for re-printing rare cards. I need more opponents!!

I suppose another way to go about it is to slowly fill out the non-3x cards through future expansion packs. We already got another innovation and I think I have four copies of Treasure vaults. Perhaps instead of 20 new cards in x3 battle packs we get 19 new cards and 3 cards to fill out past battle packs. I would prefer to buy them all in one expansion though.

I live in China and prefer just to split all the order/order only neutral and destruction/destruction neutral cards with whoever I'm playing to build decks and play. This is why (as I said before) I wouldn't mind x6 non faction only neutral cards to avoid fighting over innovation and contested villages. I suppose my position is not in line with the masses :-(

I haven't gotten into this game yet but was considering it. The main thing stopping me from doing so is the issue of this thread with the core set and old expansions not having 3x cards each and yet it is within deckbuilding rules to have 3x of any card. The proposal of making new versions of the core set and old expansions with 3x like the new expansions are would remedy this however, so until then I'll be waiting.

In addition I think that they should also release "neutral" packs with just 3x of all of the neutral cards that would likely be in both order and destro decks

Wizzey said:

In addition I think that they should also release "neutral" packs with just 3x of all of the neutral cards that would likely be in both order and destro decks

If Neutral cards are the best the game has to offer, it will kill variety. All decks are starting to look alike.

One of the original concepts for both the Game of Thrones and Warhammer: Invasion core sets was that they would be completely playable without having to buy any expansion sets whatsoever. If you look at it, this goal has been accomplished people not wanting to but any packs or expansion do not have to in order to be able to play the game. And players do not have to customize their deck if they do not want to (though they likely will not be playing actual tournament legal decks).

Remember that the LCG format was something completely new, and even FFG didn't know how best to package and sell this game when it released the first Core Sets. Game of Thrones took the "playable out of the box" approach, while Call of Cthulhu took the "full set but not full play set" approach. When you think about it $40 for 160 cards, or 25 cents per card it's not that bad a deal. I play CoC very casually, so although I've wanted a second core set, I've not bought one, and rarely bought more than 1 of each asylum pack. I play Warhammer between the casual and the competetive, so again one core set and 1 or 2 battle packs. Game of Thrones I play competitely, and even though I buy 2 or 3 of each Chapter Pack, I've only gotten the one Core Set.

I think that the new coalation (3 of each card) is the best way to go, but except for completists it is not necessary to purchase 3 of everything to play these games, either in a competitive or casual atmosphere. I won't be upset if they do decide to rerelease some fo the old packs in the new format, or release a special expansion witht he additional cards (although it almost seems like they would do better to release am expansion was was just 2 copies of each of the 60 cards that were x1 cards the first time around). But not wanting to play the game because of the old release formats seems to be cutting off your nose to spite your face. You're depriving yourself of the joy of the games because you feel you need to spend more money than you really have to.

Of course, we're all pretty sure that there will be a fourth LCG coming out in the near future, so perhaps waiting for a product that is fully of the new model (though I still expect the core sets to be more pre-built dekcs vs. full playsets) might be the way to go.