[Ruling] Festival of the Departed

By Bayushi Shunsuke, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

If I have a less than 3 Military skill character at this province and Unleash The Djinn is played, would Festival of the Departed stop my character's skill from being set to 3? If we are at a different province and I Banzai my character or Unleash the Djinn and the province is moved with Chasing the Sun or Talisman of the Sun to Festival of the Departed, do my skill increase stay applied or will Festival override them even though they were applied before it became the attacked or defended province? Is Set and increase/decrease to a skill, or is setting treated as a different type of modifier to the skill?

On 3/28/2019 at 12:58 PM, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

If I have a less than 3 Military skill character at this province and Unleash The Djinn is played, would Festival of the Departed stop my character's skill from being set to 3? If we are at a different province and I Banzai my character or Unleash the Djinn and the province is moved with Chasing the Sun or Talisman of the Sun to Festival of the Departed, do my skill increase stay applied or will Festival override them even though they were applied before it became the attacked or defended province? Is Set and increase/decrease to a skill, or is setting treated as a different type of modifier to the skill?

Festival of the Departed does not prevent skill values from being modified by “set” effects. Additionally, it will not retroactively undo any skill modifiers applied by events while the conflict was at a different province—it will only prevent events from increasing a character’s skill value while the conflict is at that province.

[Tyler Parrott, Mar 8 2019]

Edited by Bayushi Shunsuke

what about when a characted becomes honoured during a conflict at that province? does the skill increase apply in that case?

Yes.

Festival stops a character from having their skill increase by events only, and honor tokens aren't events. Even events such as Court Games work at festival since they aren't actually increasing skills, they are just honoring the character; its the honored status that is doing the skill increase.

Can I play Way of the Lion on a character during a conflict at Festival of the Departed? Is increasing the base skill also prevented?

Just now, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

Can I play Way of the Lion on a character during a conflict at Festival of the Departed? Is increasing the base skill also prevented?

Increasing the base skill is still increasing the skill, so Way of the Lion cannot be played while at Festival of the Departed.

[Tyler Parrott, Jul 9 2019]