Is there enough of a game behind the story?

By Wandalf the Gizzard, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Before I jump in, let me preface by saying I'm already a fan of this game and desperately want it to be good . . . but I have some worries.

*deep breath*

I'm concerned there might not be enough meaningful decisions in the game. So far, the only big decision points we've seen are how to scout your deck and where to go in the action phase (obviously, the game is still far from release. Not everything has been revealed). Basically, based on the gameplay that was streamed, there seems to be a lack of strategy. Think about it. Where any decisions made that had they gone the other way could have caused the players to lose? At any point did they have to think about what option was the right choice, and would more likely lead to success?

It almost felt like nothing the players did really affected whether they were going to win or lose. Can anyone point out any important strategies or basic principles for playing Journeys in Middle Earth other than just going for the objective lemming-like until you max out on threat or die? Or is the game really more of a choose your own adventure book with stats thrown in?

Any thoughts to add? Also, please tell me if you've found any decision points or strategy beyond the very basics. Is there really enough strategy to make it a game, not an activity? To sum it up: What determines whether you win or lose the game?!

I hope I'm reading way too much into it. The game isn't released yet, after all. Again, I'm not giving the game a bad rating: just hoping I don't have to give it one. ;) Thanks to all who reply. :)

all I was aware of was, follow tracks or kill orcs.

Make sure to get to the objective before threat limit.

Breakthe portcullis before more enemies come out.

Killmore orcs.

For a level 1 scenario, it seemed fine to me, but as I said in another thread. Too many events that seemingly did absolutely nothing. I wouldnt mind not getting an event on a turn to make events more... eventful.

You have to chose what actions to take. You Are action starved in this game. More to do that there Are actions. You Are Also time limited. You have to achieve your objects during the limited time, so you have to think what Are the most important things now, so that you don`t run out of time because you were distracted by some random events that did not bring the Main event. Very much so than in the new Arkham Horror 3rd edition. If you don`t consentrate right things in the right time... you lose! The Gaming Group did play the first half of the first scenario somewhat suboptimal, but the end was very focused and object orientated.

7 hours ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

If you don`t consentrate right things in the right time... you lose  !

To which I would say (for the purpose of discussion): Why would you not always just go all out for the main objective?

1 hour ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

To which I would say (for the purpose of discussion): Why would you not always just go all out for the main objective?

If I recall, they were getting lore points doing other activities. They also cleared the board which prevented being overrun suddenly.

Remember the video shows both game designers in a four person co-op. The fluidity and seemingly flawless story telling shown during the play through video has a great deal to do with their presence. I am not saying players will have a less immersive experience, because I think the game elements including the app will ensure a high level of fluff. Where I think the end user is going to find the experience different is the decisions will be more difficult to optimize. If you where Legolas venturing out alone would you confront the grave robbers?

I think there were plenty of decisions to be made given it was only the first two scenarios, and they had the devs who knew what to do.

I mean, based on the flavourful text descriptions of the search tokens, Grace and Nathan pretty much knew which were most important. Thus, it actually seemed like Grace was rushing forward, and Nathan seemed to know exactly when to take his turns so as to allow Gimli to take the brunt of attacks. Meanwhile, Legolas picked off enemies, which, as the hunter, was his job.

So, they performed their roles, and still had a bit of a close call in each scenario. New players might not have played so well. Meanwhile, they didn't quite have time to search everything, but at the same time they met a horse which seems like it will return later - a neat payoff for yet another decision. I think it's a good balance of strategy and adventure. Perhaps not as complex a strategy game as pleases everybody, but it definitely looks fun to play. And there's always hard mode.

The decisions that excite me most are the campfire cards, as well as deciding on what roles to play for each mission. There seems to be a lot of customization and the roles seem to be quite powerful, even from the start.

Edited by Elfik2018
On 3/30/2019 at 2:14 AM, Tokhuah said:

Remember the video shows both game designers in a four person co-op. The fluidity and seemingly flawless story telling shown during the play through video has a great deal to do with their presence. I am not saying players will have a less immersive experience, because I think the game elements including the app will ensure a high level of fluff. Where I think the end user is going to find the experience different is the decisions will be more difficult to optimize. If you where Legolas venturing out alone would you confront the grave robbers?

Why wouldn't you? That was the objective. Plus Legolas isn't going to be afraid of some petty thieves but that's a different discussion. ;)