Little help for a newbie

By swarmer, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

mRMu0YG.jpg

kZWiHcY.jpg

This poor reanimated was sacrificed for the greater good. Army's color scheme test!

The gold and red feel really weird, but i'm liking them honestly. I don't like the cloth's color and... i don't like the spectral green.

First pic has the hexwraith flame used once. Too light. Second pic has it used another time. Too dark.

It's also way too hard for me... using super liquid paint apparently is my Achille's heel... imagining to do that for every figure... ****!

I'll try with a simple acid green for the undeads' "skin"

Oh, also using nurgles rot for blight oozing from the weapons. So far so good!

Edited by swarmer

very light white drybrush or watered down white/grey ink above this green should make it perfect. I'd definitely go with drybrush. OFC it is hard when you made them armors and weapons already.

The other thing I’ve found is that when you put a wash on them, their appearance can change drastically changing your perception of the color scheme

On 4/15/2019 at 8:52 AM, Skaflok said:

very light white drybrush or watered down white/grey ink above this green should make it perfect. I'd definitely go with drybrush. OFC it is hard when you made them armors and weapons already.

Seconded, the drybrush after the green wash is very important to make the color scheme work.

With a lot of efforts and some tips i painted the golem:

984vMcR.jpg

38vhyMj.jpg

RdKKPm5.jpg

I tried to use the Carthridge color scheme from the manual

The good: drybrush effect. I was actually at how easy it was and how good was the result, both for the stone and for the terrain.

The bad: shading. Again, i wasn't able to shade it effectively. The orange mantle looks...dirty

The ugly: runes. I wanted them to be more... glowing

Looking good! I dont think the orange mantle looks too bad. You could try mixing in a little white in the orange and picking out the raised edges for a little more contrast.

If you want to make the runes brighter I would recommend painting them solid white (do several thin coats if necessary), then with a quite well diluted colour. You can always do a second coat of the colour if the white still shows through too much.

Hello everyone! Long time no see!

I actually was extremely busy and had almost no time to paint and play

In these months i was able to buy the miniatures a i needed, a lot of colors and paint... almost nothing. I'm working an my Daqan army at the moment... i have nothing finished, but i decided my color scheme!

bQJsqCu.jpg

Still need shade and terrain, but it's something!

Meanwhile, can someone help me chosing the scheme for my Latari elves? I want them to have turquoise skin and pale hair. I want them to be "snow elves" and have a winter theme. Yet i can decide on the colors for the armor, weapon and clothes... can someone help me?

Take at look at Lord V on the FFG website. That might be a good start...

Also, looking good. You may want to try and add a complimentary color to orange to bring out even more contrast and you may also try a wash on them, it will make the colors really pop.

Edited by sarumanthewhite
Forgot to comment on how nice the figures look

rwm31_figures-on-background.png

Like this you say? Mmh, i dont know. The skin will be similar to this, but way more brilliant. Regarding the armor colors, i want something more.. "winterish".

For Daqan, i will use purple for some details like the spearmen runic plates or Zacareth's runic sword

By wash you mean shades?

So by “wash”, I’m thinking of the stuff from Army Painter. They have a Dark Tone, Strong Tone, and a Soft Tone. They have them in bottles, but I use the stuff in the cans which has a wax base. It really brings out the details and contrast. Be careful though, they suggest something like a “dip” where you actually dip the figure into the can. This puts on way too much of the wash and I spend more time trying to get the excess off. I just apply it with a big brush (the Monster brush from Army Painter).

Finally, if you go this route, you may want an Anti-Shine Matte spray after the wash dries. It gives a very glossy look (not surprising since there’s a wax in the product).

Oh i do that but with citadel produts... because that's my local store is selling :S

I will wash&shine all the knights together after painting them.