Swap Bonus Token for Special Object?

By DHFrew3, in Tannhauser

I believe It was answered, you can't swap Special Object with Bonus Tokens, it states on the first page of the FAQ: the Special Object remains.

When you select a pack, you have already selected the Special Object as it is part of every pack (again, unless you make a custom pack). So the order you do things in doesn't have any effect.

Sorry to be picky, littlewars, but this was the crux of the rules question. The FAQ doesn't state, as you said, that the Special Object "remains", it states that the Special Object "remains available". "Available" implies a choice. If there is a choice whether to use the Special Object or not -- i.e. its use is optional -- then one could argue that it is one of the Equipment Tokens that could be swapped for a Bonus Token. This is especially the case since the Special Object IS a piece of "equipment" as defined in the Tannhauser Rulebook, page 47.

I don't believe this is correct.

However, my argument IS based on the sequence of events. The FAQ states that "To use a given Bonus Token, a player simply swaps it for one of the character's other Equipment Tokens (after a Pack has been chosen for that character). This does not affect whether the character's Special Object is available." To me, this implies that the Equipment Items with which the Special Object can be swapped are those of the Pack, to which the Special Object is then (i.e. AFTER the Pack / swapping decisions have been made) an added item.

Further thoughts?

Don

I do see your point Don, it's valid. I suspect the Special Object rules in the FFG FAQ were copied and pasted via Babelfish/Google Translate directly from the ToY french site and it may not be an accurate or clear translation.

I did some snooping in the ToY forums and found a similar question (first one on this page ):

Necron Wrote: "Do the new tokens replace the special equipment tokens or are they used in the place of another token (eg: mac neal's boxing replaces the special equipment)?"

Plageman Replied: "No, the new tokens do not replace the special equipment of the character."

That's the closest we'll come to an official clarification as FFG does not seem interested their forums.

That's all I got . You had me wondering tho: I'd rather be wrong and play correctly than the other way around ; )

Thanks to Littlewars and Don (is that your real name?)

This was always my point. When I asked the question, instead of a straight-forward answer, I was referred to the FAQ or the rules, yet they were never clear despite the statements of those who answered.

I am willing to accept that Bonus Tokens only replace Equipment Tokens and Special Equipment are not Equipment Tokens (although I would rather not for my own selfish reasons).

But, for future reference, sometimes questions are not as simple to answer as some players think. Examine the question and think about the answer before saying its clear and unambiguous.

I love this game and want to beat the pants off the Reich.

Marcus