Has anyone had good experience with Yasuki Taka?

By Bakura83, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

I’m trying to make him work at the moment - I’m my worst enemy, I like my deck to feel like every card fits the theme and makes sense lore wise, and that I think hinders my decks. I loved the idea of a Yasuki-based deck with some scorpion shenanigans to represent Taka trying to infiltrate/influence the court to send more aid to crab, and stuff like tainted Koku, calling in favours, deceitful offer all fit exactly with what I was going for but they just don’t make a efficient deck - you don’t really want to dishonour your crab couriers, and trying to get an engine running off of Taka’s Ability doesn’t seem worth the energy.

I’ve been told that a Scorpion splashing crab can be way more competitive, but I really want to stay loyal to crab. Is it worth honing a deck that will never be competitive in the blind hope new cards come out that fit into what I’m trying to do or am I just going to burn out and instead I should be focusing on known/accepted strategic strengths of crab and getting better at using them?

Honestly I’m not sure that Support of the Scorpion is that great. At first I was quite excited by the prospect of 18 influence...but it really doesn’t go as far as I had imagined. 😒

I suppose in one sense it doesn’t matter too much at the moment because most of my games are against new people and it’s probably helping their enjoyment to consistently beat me convincingly at a game I’ve only recently taught them...but I think at any sort of higher level I’d just get crushed.

I’ll stop rambling now...

I think you should stick to this deck idea, even though it probably doesn't have all the needed tools in the card pool yet.

Of course, if you want to go on to higher levels and competitive play, people will tell you there's only one functioning Crab build and that is what you must play. Don't listen to them.

Play whatever you like and have fun with it. Choose a victory condition, a theme and keep your deck close to these two. You want to build a deck around Yasuki Taka messing with everyone's plan at court?

Fine, do it. Don't listen to people telling you it can't be done. Deckbuilding away from the standard deck everyone plays is a great way to get better. It is the people who have success with innovative deck that are the most deserving.

If you have your deck on FiveringsDB, I'd be happy to take a look at it.

This is my Crab deck, and you could easily switch Yori out for Taka in this build. The aim of the deck is to pressure the honor and economy of your opponent and to severely limit their option. Defend in stead of attacking and watch them suffocate.

3 hours ago, Ser Nakata said:

I think you should stick to this deck idea, even though it probably doesn't have all the needed tools in the card pool yet.

Of course, if you want to go on to higher levels and competitive play, people will tell you there's only one functioning Crab build and that is what you must play. Don't listen to them.

Play whatever you like and have fun with it. Choose a victory condition, a theme and keep your deck close to these two. You want to build a deck around Yasuki Taka messing with everyone's plan at court?

Fine, do it. Don't listen to people telling you it can't be done. Deckbuilding away from the standard deck everyone plays is a great way to get better. It is the people who have success with innovative deck that are the most deserving.

If you have your deck on FiveringsDB, I'd be happy to take a look at it.

This is my Crab deck, and you could easily switch Yori out for Taka in this build. The aim of the deck is to pressure the honor and economy of your opponent and to severely limit their option. Defend in stead of attacking and watch them suffocate.

I like it! I would need to wait until I get Children of the Empire to access Procurer and Hantei XXXVIII, but I am definitely excited to get to experiment with them. I did notice no “The Mountain does not fall”, wouldn’t that be very useful for this deck? What would adding it leave out that you think is better?

I’ll try and get my deck up on the DB...I’m still learning all the tools/sights people use, I only just started using Imperial Adviser regularly.

Edited by Bakura83

There's no "Mountain does not fall" because it costs 1 and I tried to only put costly events if they actively help me or hinder my opponent.

If you replace Yori by Taka, the 2 "Cloud the Mind" could easily be replaced by something else, like Mountain does not move. :)

Has been some time but I had good success with a Taka deck last year. I don´t have the list anymore, but I sacrificed everything around and was drowning in fate. I am trying to build my next crab around him as well, I will be happy to share my experiences.

I made Top Crab at Black Moon Games Elemental Championship while splashing Scorpion. I don't know if it's thematic enough for you but...

https://www.bushibuilder.com/l5r/deck/?deck=6f3ffc0b-4369-11e9-a648-020c407d2d9d&public=y

Personally I think most Crab Courtiers are over costed for their stats and abilities. I don't really care for sacrifice as a mechanic for Crab.

I played around with Support of Scorpion before we got Keeper of Water and it was fine but not as good as a Keeper deck.

Oh my... I have the same problem. Always trying to create family decks (Utaku deck, Matsu deck,...) or themed decks (Phoenix novella deck, Imperial deck,...), so I know your frustration.

First, keep playing with those decks. You will get good with them and eventually win. Also, they are decks people are not expecting, so you have the surprise on your side.

Secondly, on the Taka deck, the problem I think is that we don't have that much sacrifice cards that would make it great (together with Yasuki Broker!). But it will increase - there will be a new cycle and a whole clan pack for Crab, hopefully some new sacrifices. If their new stronghold has a sacrifice action (it is probable, I think), then your deck will be perfect.

1 hour ago, Saulo Oliveira said:

Oh my... I have the same problem. Always trying to create family decks (Utaku deck, Matsu deck,...) or themed decks (Phoenix novella deck, Imperial deck,...), so I know your frustration.

First, keep playing with those decks. You will get good with them and eventually win. Also, they are decks people are not expecting, so you have the surprise on your side.

Secondly, on the Taka deck, the problem I think is that we don't have that much sacrifice cards that would make it great (together with Yasuki Broker!). But it will increase - there will be a new cycle and a whole clan pack for Crab, hopefully some new sacrifices. If their new stronghold has a sacrifice action (it is probable, I think), then your deck will be perfect.

Yasuki Broker really annoys me. She’s very expensive and her ability is way too narrow. Getting her, Taka, AND a sacrifice mechanic AND a bunch of fodder to sacrifice is almost impossible. ☹️ AND she has Glory, so no dishonour effects. 😒

6 hours ago, Bakura83 said:

Yasuki Broker really annoys me. She’s very expensive and her ability is way too narrow. Getting her, Taka, AND a sacrifice mechanic AND a bunch of fodder to sacrifice is almost impossible. ☹️ AND she has Glory, so no dishonour effects. 😒

The sac effect is really the difficult part. Getting her into a fight is pretty easy. You have Fight On, Mountain Does Not Fall, Witch Hunter (Sort of, considering it is our best sac effect), and Favorable Grounds all to get her into additional fights. However, we all would like to see more meaningful Sac effects.

Don't forget that many of the cards, you don't have to sacrifice a participating body. You could, for example, Attack with a Vanguard warrior, Witch Hunter and a Hiruma Skirmisher, then, defend with the Broker, and during the conflict, sac the Vanguard to put a fate out, and the skirmisher to ready the Witch hunter for the next fight, and collect 2 cards and 2 fate.

The best result I've had with Taka was when I was 1 Koku short of purchasing some CCG swag and found a copy of him in a booster pack I had just opened.