The next Flop ?

By magicrealm, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Yes. You dont need to be a troll to see the mistakes on the first sight. No dice, no characters other then those for the LoTR Fanboys, again too overloaded with rules and mechanics, artiificial unnatural boards, especially the mini battlefield, and so on. Iz contains clearly elements from half a dozen ffggames. Descent, Runebound, Runewars, Fallout, etc. It wants to be everything and is nothing, but a hundred Dollars. Good to see that is is not Terrinoth to flop. The reason is the academic overscrewed thinking of game designers. They can get a doctor title at university for this, but wont make any fun for the players.

I am looking forwards to giving it a go.

Although between now and delivery I am just as likely to lose my interest, but that has little to do with game design and more to do with the way FFG markets games.

I think it looks promising and it's too early to judge- losing the dice could be a clever way of un-randomizing the game a bit (more skill, less luck), the LOTR characters are established as a fantasy classic, yes with that slight 'external IP again' gripe, but they're classic characters and I think have appeal even if you're not a full-on deep LOTR fan and sometimes you need the slightly more complex rules and mechanics to make a varied and interesting game.

On the boards and multiple elements, this is where it is trying something new and yes that may or may not work, if it offers a variety of game experiences from one product this might be an interesting unique aspect to the game, but success or fail will of course depend on how these overlaps of other games have been implemented if this is the case.

I'm quite enthusiastic for this game even though I'm a Terrinoth fanboy :)

The artwork and sculpts are looking good, haven't looked closely enough yet to judge how good, hoping the gameplay lives up to its good looks.

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
14 hours ago, magicrealm said:

No dice, no characters other then those for the LoTR Fanboys , ο»Ώ again too overloaded with rules and mechanics, artiificial unnatural boards, especially the mini battlefield ο»Ώ , and so on.

This won't deter me from playing the game but i can understand how you feel.

Gloomhaven has no dice and it ain't a flop, it uses cards for character actions and combat results. FFG seem to have developed a similar, strong mechanic with deck building which is a step outside their comfort zone. Really eager for that. Plus you can select different class (or path) cards for the same hero as the campaign unfolds - you can even gain experience to have stronger effects with cards of a specific class. You want to level up another class? you can.

About the heroes, Elena is new and kinda cool (never heard of her), and Beravor is a nice addition that was first introduced in the MEQ boardgame from FFG. She was also present in the LotR:LCG but kinda lived in other, more popular heroes' shadow. Kinda glad she's part of the original pool of heroes. I agree with you that the Legolas-Aragorn-Gimli trio might seem like straight out from the microwave oven, meself would have opted for new B-Team characters instead, but at least half the characters stand out from the usual powerhouses and inevitable no brainers. In future expansions, if FFG can introduce at least one new character like they did for MEQ, that would be nice.

Never had any issues with rules overload from FFG (except some of their older games like Arkham Horror 2nd ed). Everything is easy to understand, well laid out, clear explanations and streamlined. Try playing Sword & Sorcery. Even after several sessions, i'm still spending as much time looking into the rule book for clunky, hard to grasp rules than playing the game. Doesn't happen with our favorite gaming company here. For example, the rule books from Arkham Horror:LCG are among the best πŸ˜ƒ

The mini battlefield is intriguing and i can't say much about it, but it is exciting that you can explore "indoors" as well as "outdoors". Some dungeon crawling mechanic in the works for that game? let them clever guys at FFG surprise us with more content.

I would say don't miss out because i feel there will be a lot of good adventuring in there.

Hope you enjoy the game as much as i know i will ;)

PS: I'm a FFG, Terrinoth AND LotR fanboy.

Edited by Shirys
5 hours ago, Shirys said:

PS: I'm a FFG, Terrinoth AND LotR fanboy. ο»Ώ

:)

6 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

11 hours ago, Shirys said:

PS: I'm a FFG, Terrinoth AND LotR fanboy.

I'm a half-fanboy FFG wise (some things they get very right, other things less so....)

Terrinoth wise 'slightly obsessed' might be more accurate

LOTR wise love it but not hooked on it, which re the above is probably a good thing, but I do originate from The Shire- I'm from Tolkien's neck of the woods, right on Bilbo's doorstep until I moved house a few years ago. Thus I have quite possibly traversed the path of the ents!

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
Post 500 just in time for Bilbo's second breakfast

The game is definitely dead because there Are not yet expansions to it 🀣

No dice is good, more tactical card battle yam! More adventure Style game. It is possible to avoid fights if you like it that way! Super cool! The character development seems interesting and it has a lot of options. Yeah sign of dead game πŸ˜‚

37 minutes ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

The game is definitely dead because there Are not yet expansions to it 🀣

Don't worry! FFG will make at least ten . . .

per year! :rolleyes:

On 3/15/2019 at 4:56 PM, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Don't worry! FFG will make at least ten . . .

per year! :rolleyes:

I can only hope this will be true

On 3/13/2019 at 1:47 AM, magicrealm said:

Yes. You dont need to be a troll to see the mistakes on the first sight. No dice, no characters other then those for the LoTR Fanboys, again too overloaded with rules and mechanics, artiificial unnatural boards, especially the mini battlefield, and so on. Iz contains clearly elements from half a dozen ffggames. Descent, Runebound, Runewars, Fallout, etc. It wants to be everything and is nothing, but a hundred Dollars. Good to see that is is not Terrinoth to flop. The reason is the academic overscrewed thinking of game designers. They can get a doctor title at university for this, but wont make any fun for the players.

LOL! No dice.... And this makes game a flop ... I dont renember at when I have had this fun to read!!!! No dice....flop LOL !!!!

1 hour ago, Kepagt said:

LOL! No dice.... And this makes game a flop ... I dont renember at when I have had this fun to read!!!! No dice....flop LOL !!!! ο»Ώ ο»Ώ

Agreed.

If a game with no dice is a flop, there must be a lot of flops out there... and a lot more to come :)

Edited by Shirys
10 hours ago, Shirys said:

If a game with no dice is a flop, there must be a lot of flops out there... and a lot more to come :)

Poker will never catch-on -- there's no dice!

I guess I should burn my Euros... 😭

On 3/19/2019 at 8:22 AM, Shirys said:

Agreed.

Gloomhaven has no dice, and it flopped all the way to Number 1 on Boardgamegeek. Perhaps it was a Fosbury flop.

21 hours ago, Theldyrn said:

Fosbury flop

lol XD

Edited by Shirys

This rant is based on, what, exactly? Rules aren't out. App isn't out. Game isn't out.

There is one game discussion video, in which the game is not played.

15 hours ago, jvdvalk said:

This rant is based on, what, exactly? Rules aren't out. App isn't out. Game isn't out.

There is one game discussion video, in which the game is not played.

"boardgame": why does a boardgame need the "support" of an app??????? And I have to spend more than 100 EUR to get a "boardgame" that forces me to buy a PC?????? And I will need to buy another table to host this PC??????

OK, I exagerated :-), but, IMHO, a boardgame should be a boardgame πŸ™‚ I must be able to play it whereever I go and without a PC with the app installed: just imagine I want to go to my friends' home to play it ..., no I cannot unless I bring also a PC with the app and they have the space to host it 😞 I don't think this is the right way the boardame industry should go πŸ™‚

Just my 0,2 cents πŸ˜‰

P.S. A mobile phone phone has too a small screen to let 4 people enjoy the game and a tablet has similar problems like a PC and the battery may not last the duration of a session

1 hour ago, tibia said:

"boardgame": why does a boardgame need the "support" of an app??????? And I have to spend more than 100 EUR to get a "boardgame" that forces me to buy a PC?????? And I will need to buy another table to host this PC??????

OK, I exagerated :-), but, IMHO, a boardgame should be a boardgame πŸ™‚ I must be able to play it whereever I go and without a PC with the app installed: just imagine I want to go to my friends' home to play it ..., no I cannot unless I bring also a PC with the app and they have the space to host it 😞 I don't think this is the right way the boardame industry should go πŸ™‚

Just my 0,2 cents πŸ˜‰

P.S. A mobile phone phone has too a small screen to let 4 people enjoy the game and a tablet has similar problems like a PC and the battery may not last the duration of a session

So, then You dont bye this game! There is many boardgames that dont use app. I lovit boardgames whit app support cos its new way to play boardgames!!!!!

22 hours ago, Kepagt said:

So, then You dont bye this game! There is many boardgames that dont use app. I lovit boardgames whit app support cos its new way to play boardgames!!!!!

It seems you didn't read the thread, but just one message πŸ™‚

I was just answering to jvdvalk question πŸ™‚

BTW, I (clearly?) expressed in another message that, for the time being, I don't see any good motivation to buy this game πŸ™‚ If the majority of players will have my or a similar opinion, the game will be a flop; otherwise it may be a success πŸ™‚

59 minutes ago, tibia said:

BTW, I (clearly?) expressed in another message that, for the time being, I don't see any good motivation to buy this game πŸ™‚ If the majority of players will have my or a similar opinion, the game will be a flop; otherwise it may be a success πŸ™‚

No **** Sherlock...

obvously high quality finish to a game based on a hugely popular property will have no buyers???

Seriously, I think that most people will be like me who went;

”they’re finally doing a game like this? Count me all in!”

people whinging about the app or no dice really are in a minority.

On 3/12/2019 at 7:47 PM, magicrealm said:

no characters other then those for the LoTR Fanboys,

Personally, I'm pretty glad they included characters for LOTR fanboys. I'd be pretty upset if I was playing a game called Journeys in Middle Earth with Han Solo or characters for Star Wars fanboys. Not sure what your issue is here. All kidding aside there is a lot of "timeline space" for the main LOTR characters to be running around doing "exploration adventures" while the main narrative wasn't going on. They were not just born great at what they do, those skills (hunting, tracking, fighting, herbal knowledge, scouting) were acquired over time.

I think it's too soon to make any fair judgement about the game, but I know I am looking forward to Tuesday's FFG Live to see the game in action. Once I see a few turns played that's when I will know whether the game is for me or not. I'm confident I'll make the right decision for me then.

5 hours ago, TheSpitfired said:

Personally, I'm pretty glad they included characters for LOTR fanboys. I'd be pretty upset if I was playing a game called Journeys in Middle Earth with Han Solo or characters for Star Wars fanboys. Not sure what your issue is here. All kidding aside there is a lot of "timeline space" for the main LOTR characters to be running around doing "exploration adventures" while the main narrative wasn't going on. They were not just born great at what they do, those skills (hunting, tracking, fighting, herbal knowledge, scouting) were acquired over time.

I think it's too soon to make any fair judgement about the game, but I know I am looking forward to Tuesday's FFG Live to see the game in action. Once I see a few turns played that's when I will know whether the game is for me or not. I'm confident I'll make the right decision for me then.

I do kinda get his point though. Often times in games like this you are only ever given the pre-established main characters of the story. This isn't the case here as two of the starting characters aren't part of the fellowship, and don't even play a part in the books if I am remembering correctly, and I bet some of the expansions will have others as well.

It is a fair point, in truth I’m hoping for a fair mix of both when everything is said and done...including expansions lol.

my biggest gripe is the battle map tiles. They look terrible compared to the other tiles making me wonder if battle is an after thought with too much focus on travel.

I think it was a smart move on FFG's part to include the iconic "three hunters". I doubt anyone is saying "hard pass cause Aragorn is in it" but it's entirely possible that there would have been some fence sitters opting out had there been no named characters. I could see that causing immersion issues.