Questions on clones

By Suneisha, in Shadow of the Beanstalk

I recently bought the PDF and have only flicked through it (and am completely new to the setting) and have a few questions on clones.

Firstly, I know Vat grown clones have no rights and are considered property but does that extend to natural clones? I.E. a family unable to conceive decides to have a baby cloned from the mother or father's DNA (or someone else that they admire) and bought to term naturally in the womb. Whilst for all intensive purposes a clone, the child would be born and raised as an ordinary human being.

Secondly, are clones fertile? I would assume not due to the complications this would bring I.E. would children with a clone parent (or parents) have rights? Whilst being descended from clones, the offspring will have been conceived, born and grown up like normal children with no cloning or maturation processes involved.

I'm sure these questions probably have nothing to do with the game or setting but I'm curious on if there's any official lore or if not what your take is.

I believe the answers depends on what is being cloned. For example, a clone grown from a labor model does not have any, uh, physical resources needed for reproduction. However, a pair of high-ranking corporate administrators seeking to clone a new body for their recently maimed son would be able to purchase a body that is functionally human in every way (sans clone DNA). One of my players thinks that the Tenma and Omoi lines have genes for things like facial hair removed to help with upkeep.

So in short: If it came from a line, it is a thing with no rights and possibly other missing "parts." If it is custom made by wealthy individuals to replicate or replace a person, then it is a person. That is how we run it in our game, as these questions also came up. Hope this helps. Also, be advised that clones physically and mentally mature at an accelerated rate.

Edited by HaphazardNinja

Thanks HaphazardNinja very helpful and helps give me more idea about how the world works :)

sHappy to help. While the lore sections in Shadow of the Beanstalk are great summaries, World of Android is an excellent resource. While daunting, you really just need to read the section that pertains to the current adventure. Additionally, much of the lore was grown during the Android: Netrunner card game. There is a complete database of the cards here to check out. These are better indicators of Jinteki, Weyland, NBN, and Haas-Biorid culture and tactics in particular.

Edited by HaphazardNinja

Officially, clones are sterile. However, like @HaphazardNinja mentioned, if the clone was specifically made to replace a person, then it could very well have that limitation removed, along with the usual behavioral conditioning, like being submissive to humans.

3 hours ago, verdantsf said:

Officially, clones are sterile. However, like @HaphazardNinja mentioned, if the clone was specifically made to replace a person, then it could very well have that limitation removed, along with the usual behavioral conditioning, like being submissive to humans.

IIRC, in Android, clones made to replace specific people are still an urban legend. Braintaping still isn't that exact.

Yup, exactly! The ambiguity is perfect for an adventure hook 😁 .