Ezra’s Learn by Example

By Fightwookies, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

you play Learn by Example with Ezra, and choose a 0 cost card from the discard pile such as Force Rush. LbE obviously costs 1, but since you’re playing it as a copy of a 0 cost card, would the opponent have the opportunity to play Negation?

Learn%20by%20Example_595_ffflogog_whater Force%20Rush_595_ffflogog_whatermark_cc. Negation_595_ffflogog_whatermark_cc.jpg

This second question may be answered with the first, but say that you select Force Surge and the opponent wants to play Comms Disrupt. To confirm, you would only need 1 spy group? There was some discussion in my group that if it’s being played as a copy, that you might need 2.

Comm%20Disruption.jpg Force%20Surge.jpg

Edited by Fightwookies

I would say the cost is included in "as a copy".

You could thus Comm Disrupt the playing of Learn By Example itself (although I'm not certain if there's a window between playing Learn By Example for its effect and it becoming the copied card) by having 1 spy group, or the copy of the card with 1 or 2 spy groups, respectively.

1 hour ago, a1bert said:

I would say the cost is included in "as a copy".

You could thus Comm Disrupt the playing of Learn By Example itself (although I'm not certain if there's a window between playing Learn By Example for its effect and it becoming the copied card) by having 1 spy group, or the copy of the card with 1 or 2 spy groups, respectively.

Part of our question on that second part was if there was a window to Comms Disrupt before it became the copied card. I went ahead and submitted a formal rules question for confirmation.

7 hours ago, Fightwookies said:

Part of our question on that second part was if there was a window to Comms Disrupt before it became the copied card. I went ahead and submitted a formal rules question for confirmation.

No, LbE says "play as," meaning that as soon as it is played, it is the copied card. There is no window between playing LbE and when it becomes a copy, it is simultaneous.

Per Todd:

"Hi Dane,

Learn by Example becomes a complete copy the instant it is played. In this case, it assumes Force Rush’s cost of 0. There is no moment where its cost is still 1.

It can be countered by Negation and Comm Disruption with no spies.

Thanks for the question!

Todd Michlitsch
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games"

Clean and simple.