Honest Challenger Ruling??

By zixition72, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Hi all!

Just wondering about Honest Challenger's duel ability and when you can use it? I tried using it in Jigoku from home and in battle and neither time did it trigger for me. Is there something I'm missing? Does she have to be in conflict to use it? Do both characters have to have a character at home to use it? I'm super confused but it seems like a good harpoon ability if I can figure out when to use it.

Thanks!

Yes, she has to be at the Conflict. This is due to the wording of "initiate a Military duel". Additionally, the opponent must have a valid target for the duel on their side of the Conflict as well (basically, any character who can be targeted by Actions and is not a - Mil). Since the Duel itself can affect game state due to the Honor Bid, neither player needs a second character at home.

If Jigoku was not letting you activate it, were you at a Conflict with a legal opposed character? It is a very effective harpoon ability, but the opponent has to be a valid target for the duel in order for it to be triggered, and thus it can be played around.

Okay thanks, yeah the second time I was in conflict, and he had a character with 7 mil in conflict, and no chars at home. I had one guy at home and it was Kisada I was against. I wanted to trigger it to waste Kisada's ability but it wouldn't trigger at all. Based on your rationale it would lead me to believe jigoku is bugged with that card somewhat.

I appreciate the info!

Yeah, I would think so. Since "Resolve the duel." is a game effect which can impact the game state, it should be usable. Report it!

Thanks a bunch for your help! I'm going to an EC this weekend and wanted to make sure i knew how it worked before including it in my deck!

As a reminder, there is a Rulings subforum here for such questions. 😁

But please remember there is a search function.

What's Jigoku?

5 hours ago, Green Raven said:

What's Jigoku?

https://jigoku.online/

Or inferno

Edited by Victarion13

Jigoku is the Realm of Evil, containing all of the evil souls deemed unworthy of rebirth into the Celestial cycle. When the Kami came crashing to Ningen-do (The mortal realm), Fu Leng landed far away, and his landing caused him to crash through and open up a hole to Jigoku in the process, becoming tainted by its evil power and corrupting him, as well as letting the corruption loose in the . He then declared war on his 8 other siblings, thus the founding basis for the primary plot of L5R.

Jigoku.online is an online L5R LCG game client you can use to play other people. Dirty shadowlands players got to name it.

9 minutes ago, Mirith said:

Jigoku.online is an online L5R LCG game client you can use to play other people. Dirty shadowlands players got to name it.

Although sometimes if you read the front page general chat the name does seem fairly appropriate, what with the general nature of online "anonymous" chats.

True Shadowlands players don't resort to slinging insults on the internet.

We settle things the old fashion way........

Leg wrastle. Go!

Edited by Ishi Tonu