I really want the First Order (and Resistance) and why they are viable as factions.

By That Blasted Samophlange, in Star Wars: Legion

I really like the white armours of Star Wars, that's why I like the Stormtroopers, the clones and the First Order Stormtroopers which for me are a great update of the Stormtrooper armour design. So I would like to see the First Order down the line.

On 3/4/2019 at 4:32 PM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Yes, that is right, I really do want the first order.

I think the sequels are better than the prequels in pretty much every way. Order on, dude.

On 4/4/2019 at 4:19 PM, ninclouse2000 said:

Same here. Those movies were so terrible and I don’t care about how good a children’s cartoon was. Nothing makes me have interest in clone wars era. Now I do have interest in the resistance and first order. Kylo ren would be a fun commander.

Oh. My. Gosh!

Why didn't anyone tell me it was a CHILDREN's cartoon!

I might have gotten cooties!!!!

*WHEW*

Close call fankyooberrymuch!

Now I can go back to playing with my toy soildier dollies of space wizards and robot nazis! (It's very serious and grim and grown up donacha know cause heros on journeys and daddy issues an uhuhuh!)

On 3/4/2019 at 9:32 PM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

and maybe this as the other heavy:

latest?cb=20161108073631

TR-8R alone justifies the existence of a First Order faction. I'd certainly make one for my shelf! 😆

6 hours ago, CaptainRocket said:

Oh. My. Gosh!

*WHEW*

Now I can go back to playing with my toy soildier dollies of space wizards and robot nazis! (It's very serious and grim and grown up donacha know cause heros on journeys and daddy issues an uhuhuh!)

Sequels are bad. Prequels are worse. If I wanted to be serious I'd go to work instead of playing a game or watching movies.

Still, there's a difference between simply being not-serious, or neutral, and what I vaguely refer to as "standing in a canoe". Canoe trips are fun. Standup paddle boarding is fun. Standing up in a canoe is a terrible idea. That's not me telling someone how to have fun. It's basic reality. Me telling someone to reenact the Revolutionary War instead of going to a medieval fantasy LARP would be telling them how to have fun. Choosing LARPing as a hobby then wearing blue jeans to it and using internet slang while in game, is standing in a canoe.

Movie preferences aside, I'll gladly play against any fully painted prequel or sequel army instead of an unpainted OT army.

Edit: I should add a clarification however. I don't like a LOT of what's in Star Wars . But what I dislike most of all is that the franchise is treated like a religion. No one's allowed to have likes and dislikes within it or they are treated as having weak faith. Like we're supposed to try harder to like these pieces of art that we find uncompelling and if we don't, we're the problem for not being better at internalizing complex justifications for what should be a simple process. I really like dinosaur movies and art. But no one acts like I'm a bad paleo-art fan for not liking everything about every single one of them. I can enjoy watching a Jurassic Park sequel once and then not re-watch it cause I can admit that despite the cool animals, it's an objectively poor story with cringe-worthy lines, and no one minds. But with Star Wars there's this commonly encountered idea that you're either in or your out. I find that unhealthy.

Edited by TauntaunScout
5 hours ago, CaptainRocket said:

Oh. My. Gosh!

*WHEW*

Well your welcome. Now you know and knowing is half the battle.

35 minutes ago, ninclouse2000 said:

Well your welcome. Now you know and knowing is half the battle.

Yeah they need more factions based on grownup’s cartoons. NC-17 or bust.

I appreciate your enthusiasm.

Edited by Dansome1
Edit: Too negative.
17 minutes ago, Dansome1 said:

I appreciate your enthusiasm.

It’s what I am best known for.

I was not excited about the FO until I got stuck in.... now I'm waiting on a batch to come in lol.

56956441_10102503873135357_4612161754774

9 hours ago, Vector Strike said:

TR-8R alone justifies the existence of a First Order faction. I'd certainly make one for my shelf! 😆

Yes, FN-2199, shows a prime example of the villainous fun of the first order. While explained in a book, the backstory between Finn and FN-2199 was good.

2 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Yes, FN-2199, shows a prime example of the villainous fun of the first order. While explained in a book, the backstory between Finn and FN-2199 was good.

So, who is 2199?

I’m meh on people bringing non-laser swords to a gun fight. Without the Force to assist that’s just nonsensical.

14 minutes ago, Derrault said:

So, who is 2199?

I’m meh on people bringing non-laser swords to a gun fight. Without the Force to assist that’s just nonsensical.

FN-2199 is the first order stormtrooper that yelled out “Traitor!”

https://www.starwars.com/databank/fn-2199

The reason he threw down his blaster is he and Finn used to spar in training, and he hated Finn for defecting. The use of the baton was to settle a personal grudge.

31 minutes ago, Derrault said:

So, who is 2199?

I assumed that was because they were on a specific mission to subdue live prisoners. "Why not set for stun?" is the obvious problem there but during the first viewing I didn't care.

Edited by TauntaunScout
1 hour ago, TauntaunScout said:

I assumed that was because they were on a specific mission to subdue live prisoners. "Why not set for stun?" is the obvious problem there but during the first viewing I didn't care.

Always a good question. Although at least clone wars actually had Ahsoka absorbing stun blasts with her lightsaber.

What's funny is I do and don't like both the prequels and sequels. My main issue with the prequels is poor writing and over reliance on CGI. The other thing is they shifted the tone from focusing on a small band to building a wider world which is why the Emperor and Snooke are not really synonymous in their individual stories.

My main issue with the sequels is the two movies we have so far don't seem to fit yet with the overall franchise with the last Jedi seeming more interested is subverting plot points set up in the Force Awakens then anything else.

This isn't to say they are bad movies just I recognize the flaws they have and how they weaken the movies.

12 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

He wanted to capture him alive while doing so in a manner that hurts the entire time he is doing it

1 minute ago, chr335 said:

He wanted to capture him alive while doing so in a manner that hurts the entire time he is doing it

But that doesn’t answer the Derault question of why you’d ever bring that thing to a gun fight.

Edited by TauntaunScout
2 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

But that doesn’t answer the Derault question of why you’d ever bring that thing to a gun fight.

Same reason modern soldiers are equipped with knives and other melee weapons the ammo has run out and there are still things that need a killing

20 minutes ago, chr335 said:

What's funny is I do and don't like both the prequels and sequels. My main issue with the prequels is poor writing and over reliance on CGI. The other thing is they shifted the tone from focusing on a small band to building a wider world which is why the Emperor and Snooke are not really synonymous in their individual stories.

My main issue with the sequels is the two movies we have so far don't seem to fit yet with the overall franchise with the last Jedi seeming more interested is subverting plot points set up in the Force Awakens then anything else.

This isn't to say they are bad movies just I recognize the flaws they have and how they weaken the movies.

I coulda overlooked everything if it weren’t for Starkiller Base... the prequels had several “starkillers” though. That only matters when I am choosing what movie to watch tonight though. For purposes of a miniatures game all that matters is that the armies are painted and at least close to balanced, with rules that don’t give me a headache.

Now that I get my tauntauns that is.

1 hour ago, chr335 said:

Same reason modern soldiers are equipped with knives and other melee weapons the ammo has run out and there are still things that need a killing

Knives, tomahawks and bayonets all had/have 101 survival uses and don't weigh much. That thing was encumbering, useless for anything else, and wielded in an improbable fashion (like so many do with lightsabers now) and a generally "wtf" moment for me the second time I watched the movie. Still, at least there was some reason to have it.

I feel like SW has gotten very unmoored from the basis in reality that made it a cultural phenomena and made it into it's own distinct flavor. There's no sound in space but vehicles are noisy, hence audio of real vehicles was modified to spaceships. There's no such thing as lightsabers but real sword techniques were the basis for old lightsaber fights. The Falcon had dirty floors cause people lived in it.

That's pretty much gone now. It's getting very Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers -esque. One of the things that was most jarring to me the first time I saw TFA was how many of the props looked like painted plastic. There's no good reason for that kind of thing in 2015 AD. It's fine for having a fun summer movie and sell some action figures (or miniatures) but it's not going to get these films rewatched by new people in 50 years. Whereas ANH has claimed a place next to the things that are still gaining new fans after that long, like Casablanca , The Wizard of Oz , and Lawrence of Arabia .

It doesn't mean I think they shouldn't add a heavy with a shield and electric hybrid nightstick/macuahuitl. I think they absolutely should do so if 1st Order stormtroopers are ever added to SW:Legion. But it's one more thing on the scales for why I don't own a hardcopy of TFA.

Edited by TauntaunScout
On 4/4/2019 at 7:33 PM, ninclouse2000 said:

I feel like jj abrams did with Kylo what George Lucas wanted to do with Anakin but was unable and it only took jj one flick to write an emotional villain that I was entertained by. Plus there wasn’t an army of stupid droids in the new trilogy.

The sequels are absolute trash... I'm amazed that people enjoyed them???

1. Character development seems off, majority of characters are boring, and the few interesting characters are killed off / neutered. Does Rey ever lose a fight? I died laughing in The Force Awakens when Rey and Fin (untrained) beat Kylo (who has been training his entire life with the lightsaber). Just pure comedy. Another funny scene is when Fin (untrained) beats Captain Phasma (leader of FO troopers). The good guys NEVER lose..... Kylo Ren is also extremely uninteresting. He loses every fight, his officers under him think he's weak. And everytime, he has encountered Rey, he loses. How can they ever make a third movie for this terrible franchise when the villain has already lose twice???? LOL. Like is he going to lose again? How interesting... They then kill off the ONLY interesting villain (Snoke) in the most anti-climatic way possible... What a disaster!

2. The fighting choreography is garbage. TLJ has one of the worst fight scenes I've ever seen in a movie. Here's a short clip that shows you how terrible this scene was: You'll be laughing by the end of it.. Start at 8:44.

3. No epic music to immerse yourself in the universe. This is key to big franchises, and the sequels really lacked this element.

4. Another enjoyable video. Watch it when you get a chance. You'll be laughing..

Rant over...

I don't think we will get FO / Resistance factions in this game because I think Disney may reboot/rewrite episodes 7-9. Disney received a lot of backlash from fans over episode 8 and the Han Solo movie. Another problem that I see is lack of diversity. FO/Resistance units will overlap a lot with Imperial and Rebel units. I think this will make it uninteresting from a buyer's perspective. How am I going to tell the difference between a Resistance fighter and a Rebel fighter?

1 hour ago, R3dReVenge said:

1. Character development seems off, majority of characters are boring, and the few interesting characters are killed off / neutered. Does Rey ever lose a fight? I died laughing in The Force Awakens when Rey and Fin (untrained) beat Kylo (who has been training his entire life with the lightsaber). Just pure comedy. Another funny scene is when Fin (untrained) beats Captain Phasma (leader of FO troopers). The good guys NEVER lose..... Kylo Ren is also extremely uninteresting. He loses every fight, his officers under him think he's weak. And everytime, he has encountered Rey, he loses. How can they ever make a third movie for this terrible franchise when the villain has already lose twice???? LOL. Like is he going to lose again? How interesting... They then kill off the ONLY interesting villain (Snoke) in the most anti-climatic way possible... What a disaster!

2. The fighting choreography is garbage. TLJ has one of the worst fight scenes I've ever seen in a movie. Here's a short clip that shows you how terrible this scene was: You'll be laughing by the end of it.. Start at 8:44.

3. No epic music to immerse yourself in the universe. This is key to big franchises, and the sequels really lacked this element.

4. Another enjoyable video. Watch it when you get a chance. You'll be laughing..

Rant over...

I don't think we will get FO / Resistance factions in this game because I think Disney may reboot/rewrite episodes 7-9. Disney received a lot of backlash from fans over episode 8 and the Han Solo movie. Another problem that I see is lack of diversity. FO/Resistance units will overlap a lot with Imperial and Rebel units. I think this will make it uninteresting from a buyer's perspective. How am I going to tell the difference between a Resistance fighter and a Rebel fighter?

Maybe Star Wars isn’t for you. Your whole rant makes you sound like an incel and by the way incels definitely made those YouTube videos which are so obviously trash.

1 hour ago, R3dReVenge said:

Here's the thing. In the grand scheme of all American film history, the sequel trilogy are bad movies, I don't dispute that. This is not a criticism per se, I don't hold it against them: most movies are average or worse, by definition. If not, your definition of "average" is off. I think it's fair to say that I enjoyed them no more or less than a Star Tours ride. BUT. I'll take all of the flaws of the sequels (so far) over midichlorians, an entire army of Boba Fett's identical twin brothers, an immaculate conception, Order 666 , bizarrely retconning the phrase "a young pupil of mine named Darth Vader" (his name was DARTH and you didn't know he was evil?), and then making all the new Darth's have over the top badguy names like Darth Filthius and Darth Eyestabber, retconncing that in a scant few years somehow everyone forgot the Jedi ("Your sad devotion to that ancient religion" makes no sense now), CGI for its own sake, the acting of both Anakins, Jar-Jar, the mysterious new phrase padawan instead of the established apprentice, pupil, etc. Finding out Darth Vader built C-3PO, the mystery of why in all those years Queen Amidala didn't send a courier with a suitcase full of gold to redeem Anakin's mom out of slavery, I'm out of time to go on. The sequels are deeply flawed but have far fewer deep flaws than the prequels.

You know what else is a deeply flawed movie? Lots of other movies that I like. but no one seems to lose their minds over it like with Star Wars though. The best similar example are the many Robin Hood movies. They're almost all objectively bad films. But everyone has a soft spot for whichever version came out when they were young. And everyone freaks out when a new Robin Hood movie comes out cause it's so terrible compared to the one they watched as a kid, and can't believe that anyone now like it. But no one seems to take it personally that most of the Jurassic Park movies are pretty bad, even if they love the franchise overall. It's weird how we pick and choose when to be so reactionary to films and to other people's tastes. Myself included. Course to me, it's more that I feel like Lucas actively chose to do a disservice to those of us who stuck by the franchise from the hungry years of 1986-1997. As a rational thinking person I can't hold it against someone who was wowed by droid starfighters at age 10 in a movie theater, the way I like the"wrong" Robin Hood movies according to people 10 or 20 years older than myself. But George Lucas knew what he was doing.

1. Character development seems off,

There pretty much isn't any. I've gone into this in some detail. There could have been but there wasn't because the art has left Star Wars. It left during the prequels, which are worse than the sequels.

and the few interesting characters are killed off / neutered.

There's only one and she's still alive. Rose is the most compelling sequel character IMO. This is because her motivation is tied to the death of Paige, which is the most compelling sequel scene yet I think. For reasons I've laid out before, I think Paige's death gets back to everything that made SW great. Namely, subtle homage to the prior few decades of great films that preceded it, about as much scary sadness as you can expect a kid's movie to dish out for motivation, and a firmly pseudo-historical visual design.

They could have done some seriously grim BS in episode 7 and made Finn very compelling but they lacked the guts. Rey's motivation is confusing to say the least.

This is to say nothing of classic characters like Luke. Only unvarnished age-ism can lead one to the conclusion that the actors are too old to carry a new trilogy. I think it was a serious mistake to throw them under the bus.

Does Rey ever lose a fight? I died laughing in The Force Awakens when Rey and Fin (untrained) beat Kylo (who has been training his entire life with the lightsaber).

She went to the school of hard knocks, this was established early in the film. She's an experienced melee combatant. And Ren was shot in the shoulder, and under serious emotional stress besides.

Just pure comedy. Another funny scene is when Fin (untrained)

Pretty sure the FO trained him.

The good guys NEVER lose.....

Except when Han dies, Rey gets captured, all their ships get blown up, and so forth.

Kylo Ren is also extremely uninteresting.

Yep.

They then kill off the ONLY interesting villain (Snoke) in the most anti-climatic way possible... What a disaster!

I have no idea why anyone finds him compelling. He's as drab as another-other Death Star.

2. The fighting choreography is garbage.

Yes most of it is.

TLJ has one of the worst fight scenes I've ever seen in a movie. Here's a short clip that shows you how terrible this scene was:

I saw the movie I don't need a youtube video to give me a play by play. Also it looks like it was maybe made by Evil People for Evil Purposes?

You'll be laughing by the end of it.. Start at 8:44.

Laughter isn't usually a good indicator of accurate discussions that are trying to reach a well reasoned conclusion or make an accurate prediction.

Not giving the hyperbolic YouTube video the benefit of clicks. To me, a complete cinematic failure is something that loses money AND is panned by contemporary critics AND fails to become appreciated in the years after it leaves theaters. So far every SW movie has made money and generated a loyal fanbase so there haven't been any complete failures. See also: Evil People for Evil Purposes?

How am I going to tell the difference between a Resistance fighter and a Rebel fighter?

Same way I tell the difference between rebel commando and a rebel trooper.

Edited by TauntaunScout
16 minutes ago, ninclouse2000 said:

Maybe Star Wars isn’t for you. Your whole rant makes you sound like an incel and by the way incels definitely made those YouTube videos which are so obviously trash.

Oi bruh, don’t go there. That’s a can of worm best left unopened